Is there a source for a new top to pop up for Campster? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Janice
Trailer: Teardrop
Oregon
Is there a source for a new top to pop up for Campster?

I just purchased a 1969 Trails West Campster. Previous owner epoxied a layer of fiberglass to top and sides. A nasty looking mess. It's cracking and I can remove some of it, but most of it will not come off. Is there a source for a new one?
Janice G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Trailer has not been made in decades. Cut carefully. You can have anything made out of fiberglass, but the cost will be substantial. Hopefully you still have the raising/lowering hardware, otherwise, you will need MacGyver skills.

Sadly, people that permanently fiberglass down roofs that go up and down often toss the hardware.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Have you tried a flap disk, grinder, chisel or belt sander? I used a wide chisel to remove strips of fiberglass that previous owner had added to the roof. If you can get it off, then fill, fair, sand and paint.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My understanding is that these were made in Oregon by a company that also made pop up topsvforcVW bus conversions. I suspect, but have no verifiable evidence, that thay may have used the same molds and mechanism for our tops as the vintage VW. It's a stretch, but don't limit your search to just the fiberglass TT world.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:02 PM   #5

Oregon
Thankfully, since I have limited McGyver skills, the lifting hardware is still there. It's sadly mangled. The top had apparently been left up and the added weight of new fiberglass with waterproof snow coating, water pooling and/or snow load caused it to collapse. Thank you for your assistance with my question.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:04 PM   #6

Oregon
I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #7

Oregon
That's interesting about VW connection. I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2023, 02:11 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice G. View Post
That's interesting about VW connection. I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks!
the source of connection of the campster popup to the old VW popup roofs can be found in the documents area. look for the scanned copy of the newspaper interview with the owners of the Trailswest Campster Company. They clearly state they were making those.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster