Is this a mod or does the casita factory do this? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe
Georgia
Is this a mod or does the casita factory do this?

Well I am the Happy Owner of a 2017 Casita Independence deluxe.. I went through my shakedown cruise in December I inspected the closet and bottom drawers of my storage area and found these bord placements over the wires. 1. Is this a previous owner mod or is this something the factory did if asked.. while it does protect the wire and such it does it at the cost of space. 2. I need to come up with a shelving system in the closet that I could assemble. I am knowledgeable but not totally handy. Norwegian tool trained but Cerebral Palsy only allows use of 1 hand.. Those of you raised in tool families will understand that you have tools you can't even use but if need you have them. Any Ideas about the shelfing in closet and storage would be great. I am graced with a great deal of humor and patience as I have knowledge and lack of coordination.. So you que up the Benny hill music and imagine me saying "Pardon me can I borrow your hands" Sometime the looks are hilarious..
Thanks in advance for the thoughts..

David Johnson
Attached Thumbnails
casita closet 1.jpg   casita floor 1.jpg  

Casita floor 2.jpg  
David Johnson63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
That "flipper board" is original from Casita - a goofy attempt to protect the major splices underneath it. Some folks replace it with a real junction box, but that's not a job to do with only one hand.

If you search "casitaforum.com" website you'll find many versions of shelving designs. It is very difficult to work in that closet; easier if you remove the door.

I recommend one of the "stacked table" designs where the area below the door is covered by a solid shelf with a trap door to access rarely needed stuff (some use that for dirty laundry storage) or add a drawer under the closet for storage of same. Remaining shelves are like small tables that stack on each other so no mounting to the shell is required.

If you look on my website there is a set of files available I will can send you by email; just email me through the website - or send me a PM here with your email address.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe
Georgia
Haven't posted enought to send a private message

email is tvadsales@gmail.com
David Johnson63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
An easy way to get some storage variety in the closet is a hanging shoe holder.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #5

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
In my 2015 17' LD Casita, the one under the back window also covers the water line running from the tank on the sidewalk side to the water pump on the street side.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
common practice!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
An easy way to get some storage variety in the closet is a hanging shoe holder.
I strongly agree about a hanging closet shelf organizer (not the small ones made only for shoes, however). I installed one in my Casita 17 FD and it allows my wife and I to store all our cloths for even a 2-week trip, with space left over. The one I got has large compartments on the left side, and small compartments on the right side. The small compartments work great for small things like socks and underware, the large ones for jeans, sweat shirts, etc. The one I have hangs almost full lenght almost to the floor. There are a few inches of space under it where we store things like a dust pan and brush, small cordless sweeper, and even a couple pairs of shoes. The organizer is just slightly narrower than the closet, and that allows long items to be stored alongside the organizer or behind it. We keep the awning crank, and the awning support rib there, as well as other things like poles for keeping the awning edges from flapping in the wind. If you were to install shelves from side to side, you would lose this storage for long items.

The nice thing for you is that it does not involve any fabrication work. Just hook the organizer onto the existing closet rod, and you are good to go.

Hope this helps,
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Those hanging "shoe holders" are about totally worthless. I had one early on and they proved very quickly to be totally useless. Hit one good bump and the "hanger" that goes over the hanger rod just unbends, and you'll find the whole thing lying in a pile on the bottom of the closet. I know, I had one in the beginning. Totally worthless.
Now I have real shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
closet1.JPG   closet3.JPG  

newlocker.jpg   newlockerdoor.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Those hanging "shoe holders" are about totally worthless. I had one early on and they proved very quickly to be totally useless. Hit one good bump and the "hanger" that goes over the hanger rod just unbends, and you'll find the whole thing lying in a pile on the bottom of the closet. I know, I had one in the beginning. Totally worthless.
Now I have real shelves.
Very strong, dogmatic, but incorrect reply. I guess I and others have never hit a bump. Even if it was a problem, one could simply install a little stronger piece of wire around the hanger hook.

I will be generous and assume that Greg wants to store a lot of very heavy kitchen items in the closet. Maybe that is why the hanging units are not strong enough for him.

However, most people are looking to carry clothing and other lighter items in the closet...after all, it is a CLOSET, not a cabinet or pantry.

If you want to carry canned goods, and other heavy kitchen stuff, maybe you should install rigid shelves. But for normal clothing, the hanging units are not worthless, but instead work very well.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, you can just hang the clothes on hangers from a rod ( comes with many closets ).
Old 02-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or, you can just hang the clothes on hangers from a rod ( comes with many closets ).
Oh damn, why did I not think of that...I really do need a place to hang my suite, my sports jackets, sometimes my tux...when I go camping. I really do like to hang my jockey shorts up that way... Maybe Glenn can tell me how to hang up my socks on a hanger. My wife's panties and bras would look very stunning on hangers.

Maybe I should have done that the last 14 years since we have been using the organizer -- instead of putting my clothes and my wife's clothes in that hanging organizer. I am sure that the hanger hooks will be bending and breaking on the very next bump we hit.

Thanks for the thoughtful and open-minded suggestions.....
Old 02-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My shirts are on hangers at home. I don't iron. I grab a bunch on hangers and carry them out to the trailer and hang them in the closet. I don't fold clothes, especially shirts. Gonch and socks are jammed in a cupboard, above my head when I'm in bed, so I don't have to get up to reach them. Do Casitas not have cupboards?
My jacket is also on a hanger, and my shoes on the floor along with four bottles of wine. ( you stuff the bottles into the shoes to protect them from breakage ).

Just don't understand why you would fold your shirts, so you can place them on hanging shelves. I don't fold shirts.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:31 PM   #13

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Just some ideas for better storage
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0035.jpg   IMG_6710.jpg  

IMG_6593.jpg   IMG_1997.jpg  

Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My shirts are on hangers at home. I don't iron. I grab a bunch on hangers and carry them out to the trailer and hang them in the closet. I don't fold clothes, especially shirts. Gonch and socks are jammed in a cupboard, above my head when I'm in bed, so I don't have to get up to reach them. Do Casitas not have cupboards?
My jacket is also on a hanger, and my shoes on the floor along with four bottles of wine. ( you stuff the bottles into the shoes to protect them from breakage ).

Just don't understand why you would fold your shirts, so you can place them on hanging shelves. I don't fold shirts.
Most folksl who go on a camping trip do not wear many of the kinds of shirts that are normally put on hangers. For most of us, it is T-shirts, sweat shirts, fishing shirts, maybe old flannel shirts, plus there are the shorts, and bathing bathing suits, plus underwear and socks -- all of which make up most of what we take or wear camping Plus, if you put shelves in your closet, you do not have anywhere to hang those shirts that are on hangers.

But all of that might just be of personal choice. However, there is something meaningful to be considered when deciding to put shelves in a Casita closet.

If one adds a lot of shelves for storage of many items heavier than clothes in the Casita closet, one is adding a lot of additional weight at the front of the already tongue-heavy trailer (as Casitas are known to be), and it could negatively impact towing characteristics.

Perhaps more importantly, adding shelves and weight to a Casita closet is adding even more weight to the curb side of the trailer. The layout of Casitas is such that far more weight is carried on the curb side because the refrigerator (and all its contents), the microwave (or the contents of the microwave cabinet), the sink (and the storage under the sink), the stove (and the storage under it, or the furnace) are all on the curb side.

There have been many reports indicating that because of that additiional weight, the curb-side tires are much more prone to failure (blowouts or delamination) than the tire on the other side. So adding much weight to the closet area could aggravate an already existing problem -- or at least it is something to be considered.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #15

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
shelving in closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Now I have real shelves.

How did you attach the shelves? They look great. I made one shelf in our Cassie, mounted on legs but it flops around (we put jackets and rain coats on it for quick needs and our little butane stove that we use to cook on outside.)
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
KISS

This is how I solved the closet flip board removal fifteen years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
38EAC6D4-6804-44CD-8C31-C3BCF4CA9864.jpg  
HaroldB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #17

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
Oh damn, why did I not think of that...I really do need a place to hang my suite, my sports jackets, sometimes my tux...when I go camping. I really do like to hang my jockey shorts up that way... Maybe Glenn can tell me how to hang up my socks on a hanger. My wife's panties and bras would look very stunning on hangers.

Maybe I should have done that the last 14 years since we have been using the organizer -- instead of putting my clothes and my wife's clothes in that hanging organizer. I am sure that the hanger hooks will be bending and breaking on the very next bump we hit.

You poke fun, but my husband and I use our Casita for everything and sometimes it does involve traveling with tuxes and evening gowns. He was an executive for a large hotel for 30 years and will not stay in a hotel. That means that when we travel to family weddings, funerals, class reunions, graduations, etc., we go in our Casita, so hanging space is important to us.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:04 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop View Post
You poke fun, but my husband and I use our Casita for everything and sometimes it does involve traveling with tuxes and evening gowns. He was an executive for a large hotel for 30 years and will not stay in a hotel. That means that when we travel to family weddings, funerals, class reunions, graduations, etc., we go in our Casita, so hanging space is important to us.
I guess you are much more social butterflies than I am my wife are...LOL. I would think that for the rare occasion requiring formal or even business wear, I would find a way to transport my clothing without reserving the closet for such.

Maybe it is a Tennessee (Rocky Top Vol) versus Florida (Gator) thing? LOL!

p.s. -- I am sure that many besides me are wondering about the strange fact that your husband won't stay in a hotel....care to elaborate and stop our wondering????
Old 02-21-2021, 05:42 AM   #19

Tennessee
To Florida Gator

Social butterflies, yes, that’s us. As for hotels, I don’t care if the pillow has the finest 1000 count Egyptian cotton pillowcase, there is still only one thin layer between your face and the last guest’s drool. You don’t know where the hands that last touched the remote control or the lamp switch had been prior to using it, and you don’t know what had spilled on the carpet you are walking barefoot on. The bedspread or duvet covers are not washed between guests. Your room is only as clean as the laziest or most disgruntled employee wants it to be. Oh, they will eventually get caught and fired, but, in the meantime.... do hey, my only point was that maybe some people do need hanging space so you might not preclude that option until you are sure how you will use your camper. Even when camping just for the sake of camping I like to hang up my rain jackets and coats. We also wear a lot of button up shirts because they are lightweight, dry quickly, and have sun protection built in. So now you have plenty of information to further judge and make fun of me. Have at it.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 AM   #20

Tennessee
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post

Sometimes when we go to an event we schedule a camping trip around it. Therefore, we need a variety of clothes. I hope I get kicked out of this group for saying Gator, but you are a jerk.

Tags
casita