Is this an over-sink cutting board? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #21

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatkinson View Post
We have a similar board in our 2004 SD. It was an optional accessory that fits on the drawer to give more prep space. You have to pull the drawer out as far as it will go to put it on. (I usually leave it at home as I prep outside most of the time.)
Shirley, wow, thanks! Very creative and I think will be useful. Does your board have holes pre-drilled in the corners? They look like they would be for some sort of clamp to keep it from slipping off the drawer.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Maybe the holes were to attach rubber feet so it sat on the stove lid. Or for brackets to prevent it from sliding off the drawer if it is for that purpose. Many used trailers have modifications made by previous owners. I've seen (and copied) several, so you never know if they didn't explain it when you bought it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #23

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Maybe the holes were to attach rubber feet so it sat on the stove lid. Or for brackets to prevent it from sliding off the drawer if it is for that purpose. Many used trailers have modifications made by previous owners. I've seen (and copied) several, so you never know if they didn't explain it when you bought it.
Makes sense. I'm pretty sure it is designed to fit over the drawer and if so, the holes would be for brackets to keep it from sliding. The holes would be pretty darned close to perfect for that. But I'm thinking it could be handy to keep it like it is so it can double as a platform for the microwave (the door doesn't hit the cabinet with this underneath).
Old 02-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #24

New York
The first year we had our Casita I put a rubber mat in the cabinet for the microwave to sit on and trimmed down the fiberglass lip at the cabinet door so the microwave door would open. The rubber mat kept the microwave from sliding around. Now we use that area for food storage and either leave the microwave at home or it travels in a plastic bin and sets outside on the folding cook table along with a gas grill and toaster oven. We don't cook inside. The bin sets upside down on the microwave when it's not in use.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #25

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
Cutting board

Ours doesn't have holes drilled in the corners, but has a small board glued onto the back to keep it from slipping.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #26

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
We recently purchased a used Casita. There is a cutting board/shelf in the camper and I can't figure out what it is for or where it should live. It's just about the same size as the sink, but is too small to fit over the sink. There is 1 hole drilled in each corner a couple of inches from the edge. Obviously for some kind of mounting hardware, but what? Ideas? I'm having trouble loading the photo I took.
Unless it is an access cover under one of the cushions it doesn't make any sense. We don't have anything like that in our 2007 Casita. The odd shape board if you have one is the corner board for the television. It mounts on the back curb side corner. There would be 2 metal mounts that the corners fit in and there's a flat rod sort of that holds the front of the shelf up and the rod goes into the 3rd mount on the wall. The shelf is not permanent because it would be in the way. Maybe it is just something the previous owner left in and it isn't original.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #27

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Sink cover question

Sorry, I can't answer your question. But if you want a sink cover, I bought a nice cutting board and glued/screwed on cork stoppers or blocks to each corner on the bottom of the cutting board to hold it in place while on the road. Cover increases working space, and helps secure little items in the sink while traveling. Be sure you glue your blocks or cork bottle stoppers before you oil the board.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Makes sense. I'm pretty sure it is designed to fit over the drawer and if so, the holes would be for brackets to keep it from sliding. The holes would be pretty darned close to perfect for that. But I'm thinking it could be handy to keep it like it is so it can double as a platform for the microwave (the door doesn't hit the cabinet with this underneath).
Hi Marge,

As best I recall, our Casita's sink-top "cutting board" was two layers of the same wood-grain covered particle board used for the cabinetry. Maybe you have the lower half?

In any event, a polyethylene or hardwood cutting board would be much more functional. Our particle board would collect casual water and quickly started to swell at the edges.

We had a custom mattress so the bed was set up permanently. We used a larger Formica-covered board which we would set on the bed to create more "counter space".

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #29

New York
I found a couple sellers on eBay that will custom cut to any size a HDPE cutting board. It's a plastic type material. Available in a few thicknesses. I had them cut a size to fit over the stove and round the corners. I secured it over the burners using existing screw holes. We do not use the stove but I didn't want to remove it. To go back to original all I have to do is remove two screws and put the original cover back in place with a few rivets. We have another cutting board that sets over the sink when not using it.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I did this for a cutting board over the stove. I double faced two strips of wood to bottom of board , which clears the knobs and stove grates. When stove is not in use we use the board , which is most of the time. if we have to use the stove we just slide it off and use on one of the seats or one of the tables.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0765.JPG   DSCN0766.JPG  

Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #31

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Hi Marge,

In any event, a polyethylene or hardwood cutting board would be much more functional. Our particle board would collect casual water and quickly started to swell at the edges.
Yep, ours has a little water damage, too. I like the ideas on this thread for creating a cutting board over the sink and stove. Will probably keep this as a microwave platform.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
seems like sealing the particle board with several coats of Varathane or equiv would be a smart thing to do.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote