Is this Ensolite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Playpac
Iowa
Is this Ensolite?

The previous owners painted the original wall covering. After a good scrubbing, it's, still, sticky and gross feeling (previous owner was a smoker). I've read other threads about treasuring ensolite, as much as possible, but, I'm not even sure this IS ensolite. Is it??

Since we can't seem to get it clean enough to our liking, would it be a sin to just wallpaper over the current wall covering; whether it be ensolite, or not?? I found some super funky 70s wallpaper that would be way more fun than plain old paint. ha!
Attached Images

srhodd5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Try LA Totally Awesome cleaner. Comes in a squirt bottle, available at dollar stores and others.

Spray section, then use scrub brush, then rinse rags to remove. Works very well for old sticky ensolite. Key is to rinse and wring out rags, change rinse water fairly often. You need the wet rinse rags to remove the crud the cleaner has dissolved.

Frankly I can't tell if that is ensolite from the pictures. Looks about right pebbled wall surface with black foam back. With tape or plastic strips on the seams.

No matter what it has to be really clean. Wall paper or paint won't stick to a dirty or soap covered surface. Not sure how well wall paper would go on a textured foam surface. Never tried it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: 30' jayco & 1974 Boler
Ontario
Registry
you can try 50/50 water & ammonia
jcstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Ours has elephant skin (ensolite) but foam back is white instead of black have read about both though looks like it is and the product if you did get is clean is great.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ensolite for Bolers came in a couple of different flavors. Some smooth, some kinda like the popcorn ceilings a few of us remember from our sticks 'n bricks homes built in the 50s-60s.

Even if it's STICKY... you can paint it with something like Zinssers and top coat it. But first, get it stellar clean. You may be amazed...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Because of the irregular surface it is difficult to get the residue off of ensolite after cleaning/scrubing. I found by placing a clean paper towel on the ensolite then apply pressure with a stiff scrub brush and lightly rubbing the paper towel around helps get the residue out of the irregular surfaces. It usually takes a lot of paper towels but I have found it gives the best results after cleaning.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #7

Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
California
I scrubbed the elephant skin the best I could, but it didn't make that much difference...was hoping it would. At least I feel like I got some grease off!! I put a primer coat of Zinsser on, now I will try a top coat of some high-quality paint (it will be a very pale celery green).

Somewhere in this forum someone told me that rather than replacing the missing t-molding, I should try caulking the seams and then also prime it with Zinsser. ( I'm still inexperienced with these forums and know I need to spend more time researching how to post, etc!!!!) Does anyone have any recommendations about what KIND of caulk to use?

Also, is there any way some kind of tape might work? I could probably find Duck Tape in some lively color, but somehow I don't think it would stand up to much heat in the summer. I don't think I should use that aluminum tape; doesn't look like you can paint over it very well. Sorry I'm such a flaky newbie here!! Thanks.
Jane in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I believe I read a posting that you would use a latex calk, and texture it by dabbing it with a damp wadded-up paper towel. Then the paint you would use should be a flexible latex paint. If you still want to apply the original tape, it should be boiled in water to have it become flexible again, then hot glue it in place. Other types of tape do not stick well to the wall covering.
I have never done this myself, but others with experience will post later. Good luck and take pictures.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: 30' jayco & 1974 Boler
Ontario
Registry
Before you paint it . try washing it with 50/50 solution of ammonia and water . with a scrub brush . It works !!!!
jcstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I used a 50/50 bleach spray:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...now-61473.html
I then hosed down the whole trailer. I should have hosed it more. It still smells of bleach.

If you still have the T molding, it can be reused. As David B. said, if it is all ripply then boil it, to soften it up. Then lay it flat to cool. Once cool it can be snapped back into the track that should still be glued to the fibreglass. If you made the mistake of tossing that old ugly ripply T molding, like I did, Tom Young, (the guy that restarted Trillium) was selling new molding at a fairly reasonable price. If the track has been damaged, or is missing, that can be purchased as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
LA Totally Awesome spray cleaner, scrub brush, bucket of rinse water. The cleaner removes the dirt but it also takes using a wet rinse rag to remove it.

There is a white foam tape that scamps used to cover seams but I am doubtful it could be painted.

Paint won't stick to a surface that is not totally clean and well rinsed.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote