Is this "plumber's putty"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Is this "plumber's putty"?

What is this gunky stuff?

I pulled out my refrigerator to resurface the shelf it sits on. Then I pried up some old sealant material that was affixed around the black water tank vent pipe, and the hole that my gas line comes through, and the crevice between the shelf and the surrounding walls. I think I should buy new putty and replace it before sliding my refrigerator back in. But what exactly is it? I see "plumber's putty" on the internet. Is that what I should buy?
Attached Thumbnails
putty.jpg  
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Plumbers putty

Looks like plumbers putty to me. Go to the hardware store and ask for it. Comes in a little plastic tub. Knead it up and push into place. Will stay pliable in application and in the tub for several years. Longer in the tub if you put the lid back on straight. Doesn’t cost much. Animals will not eat it or bore through it from my experience.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Brian, whether or not it is plumbers putty I would not use it in that application. You would be better off using some type of flexible sealant that will stay flexible for years. It looks as if what ever you have there has harden somewhat.

I don't know if you have a gaping hole under that mess or just that someone smeared whatever that is there for whatever reason. If its a gaping hole find a way to cover and repair it permanently.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Dave and Jack. There is no large hole I'm trying to cover, only a small one I've already patched. Yes, the old sealant has hardened but it's not brittle. I've never used plumber's putty before, but I imagine it might be less dense than this material was when it was originally installed. It feels like that grey-green modeling clay I used in 4th grade art class. Maybe I should just go to the hardware store and ask questions.
Attached Thumbnails
putty 2.jpg  
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Butyl maybe?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
The fridge compartment with the burner is supposed to be sealed off from the cabin to prevent CO leakage. I's just use a silicone type caulk that stays flexible.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree w/ tractors1
I believe is should be sealed off and his choice of sealant is what I would use good advice
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Plumers putty

The product you are looking is rv butyl as Gordon2 said.comes in a roll same stuff for resealing your windows. For best results use rv products .Mike from Retro Ranch RV.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Duct Seal

Duct seal or Electrician sealant is what is used by some trailer mfg's for sealing around pipes.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-81...s%2C202&sr=8-2
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Look at the photo. Is that a piece of white PVC pipe glued to a piece of black ABS pipe? It's my understanding that PVC and ABS glued together maxes for a very poor undependable connection.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
I decided to use silicone caulk. Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
putty 3.jpg