Is this repairable? Need feedback - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #21

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Unfortunately what you paid for an item in the past has no relationship whatsoever to what that same item is worth in the present.

Buy High and Sell Low!

I have heard that called Paying Your Stupid Tax!!!

The sooner you pay it the better!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
I advertised my 13-year-old Subaru Loyale in a Buy and Sell for $1,400 and found no interest. Waited a few weeks and relisted it at $2,600. Sold it for $2,400.
Never say never.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #23

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The old "If you can't sell it raise the price and it will sell" trick!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
The vehicle was in decent shape and I had all the service records.

It's just that the price suggested it was a wreck, so nobody called.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #25

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
If anybody is interested....I will sell our 2011 Casita SD for $35,000. It is a good little trailer....not many upgrades but good tires and it is white. Will deliver for $5,000. LOL!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:23 AM   #26

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Iíll wade in here with my two cents. It boils down to your time and expertise level.
We own a Boler that was a mess when we bought it. And it is still a work in progress four years later but we have also enjoyed camping in it for four years. The Egg is durable.
If you decide to undertake this project, I suggest you seek out a supplier of West System fibreglass materials and a copy of their fibreglass boat repair manual. Itís what I used to repair the body.
As for the passenger side droop, that got me too until I caught on to the door side needs to be lower.
Personally, I love working on our Boler. It takes time, effort and commitment on top of the rest: cash and resources.
All the best in taking on a worthwhile project.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #27

Name: Noah
Trailer: 1976 El Macho by Land and Sea
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
I made an offer but she didnít accept it. Iím not willing to pay more than $1000 for something that run down considering all the work it needs and itís not even towable (need to put it up on a flatbed to move). It is worth it if the price is right but I think sheís trying to get 4K for it and I know I can get something in MUCH better condition for that price. I guess it wasnít meant to be, Iíll keep looking.
Her asking price is bonkers. Hard no. Good call on your part. My '76 Land & Sea was in similar condition (minus the cracked frame) and my old boss told me if I could pull it out of his yard it would be doing him a favor. So I did. Put new tires on it, repacked bearings, gutted it, dried it in, new tailights... It still "needs" a bunch of work (which I'm chipping away at) but also I've used it as is and it's great. Good luck finding your project!
Noah JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I advertised my 13-year-old Subaru Loyale in a Buy and Sell for $1,400 and found no interest. Waited a few weeks and relisted it at $2,600. Sold it for $2,400.
Never say never.
I liquidated a lot of stuff when my first wife passed away in 2006, one item I advertised as free on Craigslist was a fully equipped 10ft 1985 pickup camper that was in excellent shape (stored indoors.) Had 2 year old electric jacks and custom aluminum welded sawhorses for storage. Zero calls or interest. Next year I reposted in on Craigslist as $1000 cash only and firm price - sold in 2 days.

Sold the buyer the custom aluminum sawhorses (near truck bed height) for an additional $200!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
The sagging door speaks volumes about the twisting stress that has been applied to the shell and then the entire internal structure because of an inadequate frame. As a practical matter, it is scrap.

Use your $1,000 as a downpayment on a nearly new unit that can be used immediately and put the hours into a job that pays off the balance over time. Resale will be MUCH better that way so you can bail out easier if your plans change.
Some very good advice.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #30

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
At $4K that trailer is VASTLY OVERPRICED!!!

Ask the seller this simple question and let her tell you why she thinks it worth $4K:

"I see you are asking $4K for this trailer. HOW did you come up with your asking price?"

Make the seller tell you why the trailer is worth $4K!

That usually gets the price to drop rather quickly when the seller typically rolls over and acknowledges that they know they are VASTLY OVERPRICED and looking for a sucker!

This person is way out there! I bought my Hunter Compact Jr. for $450.00 in better shape. It is a total rebuild frame and all. Plan on no less than $5000.00 to make it live able. $7000.00 to make it nice. Good luck my friend it will test your skills and patience.
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
I donít mind buying a wreck if the price is right. Iím an architecture student and want a project rather than something thatís complete. Though in this case, she is asking way more than Iím (or anyone) is willing to pay.
As a project, this might offer a real education. It looks like replacing the frame might not be out of line. From there, the pictures seem to indicate that it will be a long, tough slog. A covered storage / work area and a healthy allowance for your time and material costs would be in order.

I replaced everything above and below the walls in my first house; foundation girders and footings, sistered five sets of water-damaged floor joists, replaced all of the rafters and the ceiling joists. The walls got some fairly substantial modifications before resheathing them with plywood and installing new siding and drywall.

The blessing of that experience was that I have a better idea of just what such a project can entail. Offsetting that is the question of how I might have better spent my time as the project was ultimately not economically sound.