Is Weiscraft still in business ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Weiscraft
California
Is Weiscraft still in business ?

I have been shopping for an egg camper since selling my tear drop a year ago and finally bought a 2007 Weiscraft Little Joe about a month ago. The trailer needs a heavy duty maintenance but it is simple enough that I can manage what needs done without input from the manufacturer.

I have attempted to contact Weiscraft multiple times over the past 2-3 months with telephone calls not answered or returned. Then, about 6 weeks ago the website disappeared and now searching for the website turns up a "domain broker service". I am no expert on such things, but if the domain name is for sale likely the company is not continuing in business.

Any information on Weiscraft continuing in business would be appreciated. Also, I would like to know of any Weiscraft user groups or forums.

best regards, Hugh KW5X[/FONT]
HVance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I am seeing the same thing. It would be a shame for this company to exit the market, as they make (or made?) a high quality trailer that filled a unique niche in the market.

If so, we can hope that the molds get sold and live on under another name. I note that the GoBE Campers site is still up, and it's my understanding they purchase the shells from Weiscraft.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Up until recently I owned a Lite House Trailer for Two, which is sort of the predecessor to the Little Joe, but didn't have much luck finding an owners group for either one. I think the volume of trailers made was just too small to support a group. Your best bet might just be the Little Joe group here https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...+trailers.html
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

California
Thanks to Steve & Jon for replies.

As a testament to build quality, at 13 yrs my Weiscraft is quite sound as far as structure and interior are concerned. I think it was towed mostly on highways and good roads. The interior cloth is likely a reflection of being only one owner who was single so a low population. Otherwise I will replace the wiring, hot water heater, refrigeration, AC, add undercoat, add solar and set it up for ham radio. Right now it is headed for BigTex Trailers to be measured for a new axle.

The link to GoBe did not work for me, but a little perseverance with Google searching did turn it up. Looks like they turn out a quality product and have fitted a nice list of utility items I could see my self using. If the GoBe/Weiscraft are not from the same mold they have me fooled, they look a lot alike.

Hugh KW5X
Old 11-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Josh
Trailer: GoBE
IA
HVance- I build GoBE Campers from the Litehouse / Weiscraft molds. We have stiffened up the shell and built a new bottom mold with no wheel wells inset. Everything else on/in the camper is different. I would love to talk campers with you. You can check out our website @ gobecampers.com my email is josh@gobecampers.com Thx
Josh B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
Commercial Member

IA
I responded before seeing your next post. I will help you anyway I can on your remodel.
Kind regards,
Josh
Old 11-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh B. View Post
HVance- I build GoBE Campers from the Litehouse / Weiscraft molds. We have stiffened up the shell and built a new bottom mold with no wheel wells inset. Everything else on/in the camper is different. I would love to talk campers with you. You can check out our website @ gobecampers.com my email is josh@gobecampers.com Thx
Wondering if you’d satisfy our curiosity regarding the original question. Is Weiscraft still in business and building molded trailers, or did selling the molds to GoBE mark their exit from the market? If so, when did that happen? There appeared to be a time when both were making trailers, so I had assumed is was some kind of contract arrangement, but now it seems like something different. As a group of enthusiasts, we like to get the history straight!

I’m glad in any case you’re keeping this unique design alive, and your heavy-duty, off-road approach fills a significant gap in the small molded fiberglass trailer market.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
As any owner of a 2010 little joe
By Weiscraft I can definitely comment on their construction
Since I live in Colorado I’ve taken my trailer in for work ( a/c unit installed).... as recently as this past yr...... it definitely surprises me if they have closed.... keep in
Mind this was a very small operation... I believe they were built on an order basis
In the many times I stopped by they usually had just a single trailer they were working on
Great people always helpful and willing to answer any questions
Sure hope they are doing ok
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
Commercial Member

IA
Jon in AZ

I've been reading through some posts and I really appreciate your support and including us in some of your comments. Thank you. You've been very kind.

To answer your question...

I have not spoken to WeisCraft in quite some time. I have also tried to call. I stayed in touch with them all of last year but have not been able to make contact for about 6 months. I may be reaching out to them when I am in Colorado next.

My relationship with WeisCraft is a little confusing (even to me. What officially set things in motion for GoBE a few years back was when I paid to have a new bottom mold built. I was interested in that size shell but wanted to get the wheel wells out of the bottom mold. I also wanted to do a complete redesign of the camper, etc. We were originally going to try and build units in Colorado and work out some type of partnership with Weiscraft but that plan did not work out. I ended up moving my operation back to Iowa and setting up shop.

Essentially, there is the set of Litehouse molds that WeisCraft owns and there is now a new bottom mold that I paid for and own. WeisCraft built a few campers over the last 18 months or so and on those campers, he used the new bottom mold. The new bottom mold was something that he always wanted to do and I was not interested in building campers without a new bottom half. So now we are sort of in this gray area. I will be building campers and if I can make this thing profitable, I will likely send WeisCraft some sort of commission on each camper or send him some type of payment for the molds. I would prefer to keep using the top mold for now as building a new mold is very costly.

The GoBE shells are much stiffer than the WeisCraft shells because we have designed them to have a roof load as all our campers come with a roof rack. There is not a single item or process that is done the same on the GoBE as the WeisCraft (just to clarify). It's a different animal but because the GoBE spawned from the WeisCraft, I can be of assistance to those WeisCraft owners that may need some help and I would be happy to do that.

I'm now I'm set up in small production set-up. GoBE is here to stay. Regardless of viruses or economic conditions, I will continue building GoBE Campers well into the future. I will try to visit the forum more often but I can always be reached @ josh@gobecampers.com

Thanks again,
Josh
Old 11-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Best of luck with the venture Josh, thanks for chiming in.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #11

California
A note of clarification.

The Weiscraft website was down for a time but is now available and the company is in business producing trailers.

Home - Weiscraft Trailers

Hugh