Isolating television interference? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Isolating television interference?

I have a television plugged in to a 110 V outlet in my Casita. I also have a King antenna amplified by my 100v outside plug. When watching tv I have found a visual disturbance when I have an interior light turned on. When the light is turned off the picture is clear. I suspect that I may need to isolate my tv and or
my antenna from the lights. Anyone know what I should do?

Mark
Old 01-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
thats a LED light? you might try wiring a 'bypass capacitor' in parallel across the power to the LED as close to the lamp socket as practical. use a electrolytic capacitor rated 20V or 30V, and as many microfarads as will readily fit in the space available, make sure you get the polarization right (+ lead of capacitor to + wire, - to -). yeah, if you have a lot of LEDs, you'll need a lot of capacitors. or just bypass the ones you'll use while watching TV.

if you move the antenna does the interference change?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
A few ideas. https://reductionrevolution.com.au/b...ference-emf-rf

Or you could just get a dollar store battery lamp for while you are watching TV. That’s what I do.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you take a portable AM radio and go around your trailer, you will find electrical noise everywhere. Each light, your converter, your fan, any charge plugs. Each one contains a switching circuit that produces radio frequency interference. They are like little radio transmitters.

While a bypass capacitor (10 mf parallel with 0.01mf) might help if the noise is coming through the power line, most likely it's propagating through the air. You could try a different model light hoping it produces different harmonics or use a cheap bulb that uses just a resistor to bias the led. (No switcher, no harmonics) . When on shore power, use an incandescent. It will not produce noise but of course will use more power. Everything is a trade off. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
thats a LED light? you might try wiring a 'bypass capacitor' in parallel across the power to the LED as close to the lamp socket as practical. use a electrolytic capacitor rated 20V or 30V, and as many microfarads as will readily fit in the space available, make sure you get the polarization right (+ lead of capacitor to + wire, - to -). yeah, if you have a lot of LEDs, you'll need a lot of capacitors. or just bypass the ones you'll use while watching TV.

if you move the antenna does the interference change?
John, WOW, I just realized how much I don't know about electricity!
And I thought it was going to be an easy fix

Mark
Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
A few ideas. https://reductionrevolution.com.au/b...ference-emf-rf

Or you could just get a dollar store battery lamp for while you are watching TV. That’s what I do.
Gordan, now that is a solution I can handle. Thanks.

Mark
Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post

When on shore power, use an incandescent. It will not produce noise but of course will use more power. Everything is a trade off. Good luck, Raz
Raz, so simple, Thanks.

Mark
Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The easy solution if you want to use the trailer lighting fixtures is to switch to cheap LEDs that don't have a built in voltage regulator. That is the part that usually causes the interference, and it is difficult to eliminate.

If the LEDs that are causing the problem are listed with a voltage range (often 12V - 32V), replace them with a non regulated one, at least near the TV & antenna.

I've used LED panels like these as a replacement for incandescent lamps. Since they are unregulated, they don't cause interference. Even if you burn out one or two, at under $1.00 each, just replace them. You do need to buy as many as you expect you will ever need all at the same time since the batch they come from will likely disappear, and you won't find the same panel (or dealer) the next time you want to order.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
raz ham friend of mine suddenly had a huge static noise in his rx. his solution take a small am portable radio and start riding the neighborhood. he found the source a bad pole transformer 1m away!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Use a candle.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #11

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Turn the damned thing off and go out side!
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
yeah, that. ain't gonna be no telebishun in my camping experiences. ugh.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've been camping for 40 plus years and never even thought of taking a TV with me.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #14

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Seems like we had the same problem when we had our Casita.

It was an LED light, and maybe the one in the bathroom. Not every light did it, and not on every channel as I recall.

We just got a different trailer. Just kidding of course. I think we just turned off that light and used one that didn't cause the problem.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
I have a television plugged in to a 110 V outlet in my Casita. I also have a King antenna amplified by my 100v outside plug. When watching tv I have found a visual disturbance when I have an interior light turned on. When the light is turned off the picture is clear. I suspect that I may need to isolate my tv and or
my antenna from the lights. Anyone know what I should do?

Mark
When my friend installed one of the stick-on LED light strips that had a control for color changing the lights and also dimming the lights he suddenly had a disturbance issue in his boat. It was not the LED lights themselves it is that bells and whistle controller device that is causing the issue.

My best advice, keep it very simple and don't put in dimmer switches. Just set it up so you have options for turning on an extra bulb with its own switch if you need stronger lighting. No fancy color light shows either.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote