It's official!!! I can't stand the awning on my 16' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Right Carol. And it won't be fun putting my nylon Strongback chairs away or anything else that's wet, for that matter. Why would I stay in the AZ-TX area? I'll be fulltiming, not visiting picnic grounds for weekend camping a few hundred miles from home. Hope to hit ALL areas of the US of A for as long as I remain road-worthy and healthy. I like Norm's and Ginny's routine: Go everywhere, do what's fun. They're my "heroes." (grin)

S.
You go girl Only asked as some folks seem to have a fairly short camping radius. Norm & Ginny are the envy of many of us. Due to other commitments the best I have been able to do in a year was about 155 days out. Looking forward to a time in the not to distant future when I am able to top that.

You did just give yourself another reason to save the awning though. Fold the nylon chairs up at night under the awning & they will stay mostly dry in the worst down pours.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #22

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You did just give yourself another reason to save the awning though. Fold the nylon chairs up at night under the awning & they will stay mostly dry in the worst down pours.
Our Strongback chairs go in the TV at night. We love those things!
Just sayin'.....
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Remember too, Scamp has mounted AT LEAST three different kinds of awnings since the mid-1980s. Some are a lot easier than others, but all provide shade or shelter from rain. I like the fact I can open the door to my Scamp and not get soaked during a rain storm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Mine is a carefree awning, if it makes a difference. It couldn't be easier to use.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #25

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Mine is the Catalina 2500 and it sucks.

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #26

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I couldn't put mine back in after the first time I used it. PO bent rods to stuff it in, I cut it off and took off rods. I purchased a half patio umbrella for my deck door and will be using it for shade on my next trip. Here's a link to some on eBay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/half-umbrella
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #27

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Sharon, so glad someone else has about the same amount of patience that I do. I like your umbrella atlernate. I was really looking forward to the party!
I do not have an awning but am seriously thinking about mounting a storage tube to carry my trout rod in the awning area. Figure it will look similar to the awning box and get the poles out of the way.
Elaine
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Sharon I think we are about 30 miles apart and I am retired. If you want send me a private PM and I wil be more then happy to swing by despite the 100+ temp
and take a look at it.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have the Catalina 2500 awning and I love it! Sad to say it went out of production a couple of years ago. Of course I have an 8 footer on a 13 Scamp and I am 6ft tall. I gave away my awning pole years ago.

The pole can be custom cut to length , which helps when using it.
Also the legs should be equal height and equal distance from the trailer when deployed or retracted.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Mine is a carefree awning, if it makes a difference. It couldn't be easier to use.
Jared THAT IS the difference! That wasnt original to your trailer. The Catalina box awning it what I have as well and its a pain to figure out how to put away correctly. Next trailer will have the Carefree for sure!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #31

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Carol H.

No. Wind 4 in the morning. Aluminum has amazing memory. We flipped it off the camper and it almost sprung back. This happened right after we got it new. My husband was going to take it off and pitch until I told him how much it cost. Some parts later and a lot of cussing it's back on the camper. Haven't had it out since the repair.
Wow, sorry that happened. what kind of awning was it?

we have a Dometic Horizon model 920, ordered it with our 2011 5r. hope we don't have similar problems....I am afraid to use it as I have seen pics of the sides of the Scamp ripped out due to wind. Wish we would not have purchased it, way too expensive ($1k)....and it's heavy!
jrbowers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Awnings ripping or flipping over the top of trailers isn't an ALL MOLDED towable condition. It can HAPPEN on any brand/build of trailer. Don't be afraid, just use common sense. If it's windy... put it in or don't deploy it in the first place. And don't depend on the weight of the awning to keep it from "flying." There are all sorts of methods to hold it in place... from straps anchored to the ground (what I use) to gallon jugs of water (anchored to the legs) to ....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #33

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
I want to thank everyone for their replies. Let me say one thing I apparently did not state: I got the awning out and back in just fine. BUT BUT BUT it was hard work for me and by the 7th time it was STILL hard work and required I use a ladder several times. I would hate having to put it up in a hurry. FAST is no longer a good speed for me, and FAST when a ladder's involved is dangerous in my case. I've got an orthopedic "impediment" which has raised havoc with my balance since hitting the big six-oh.

So, I ordered a slight upgrade to my original super-brella: the sport-brella. No more anxiety about an awning.

If not for a balance issue, I might have tried to make do with the awning. But I know I've made the best decision for ME. Again, thx all for the input.

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #34

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I would just leave it as it Sharon and when or if you go to sell it then its already there and ready to go for another person. IMO
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #35

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Donna:

The idea of tie downs was suggested but someone must of thought they were like wearing underwear. They got a purpose? Maybe that is why I sheepishly got satisfaction out of watching him fix the thing. Evil. Hindsight, should have been a big girl and did it myself.

jrbower: It was a Dometic that Scamp puts on.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #36

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Mine is the Catalina 2500 and it sucks.

S.
We've got the 2500 on our 90's scamp, and I'd agree, it does suck. The end caps are now broken, it's always been a pain to take out and put up, and I'm on the forum here now, looking for ideas for a new awning.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I've never really had much use for an awning. I rarely stay at any one location for more than a day, and usually just for one night. That changed this summer, when set up in Yosemite's Bridalveil Creek CG for 6 days. Suddenly the awning made great sense. I loved sitting under the shady awning, reading or just watching the world go by. Finally I get why people like awnings.

I have no idea what kind mine is, but it's not hard. They provide a long wire tool to reach up and flip the lock, then to put in the strap loop and pull the awning down as far as desired. Then I unlock and extend the supports a foot or two, and that's it. No need to detach the feet and put them on the ground, although I guess I could if I had some weights.

To put away, I unlock the supports again and they slide back. Then holding the strap I flip the lever, and it rolls itself up.

I guess if your awning is not this easy, it's time to look for one that is.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #38

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
We've got the 2500 on our 90's scamp, and I'd agree, it does suck. The end caps are now broken, it's always been a pain to take out and put up, and I'm on the forum here now, looking for ideas for a new awning.

I was aware of the 2500 awning before I ordered my Scamp so I ordered without an awning. I'm 5' 2" and can't imagine being able to pull the 2500's awning out deploying it properly. It's a finiky awning to get out or put away without binding it.

I purchased the awning Casita uses and enstalled it.

Scamp no longer installs the 2500 and has gone to the same one Casita uses (same as the Carefree awning). It a much better and easier to use awning. The Scamp factory was worried about the extra weight of the new box awning until I stopped by and showed them my awning in 2008 and told them it had been on since the spring of 2002 (6 years) with no problems. I would have thought a 2011 Scamp would have come with the new awning. So I guess I don't now the actual date when they change to better awning, it didn't seem like it was 3 years later after my visit.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #39

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
It looks like from Scamp's facebook page they are delivering new Scamps with Fiamma F45 awnings now. I wonder if they are an easier option from what other's have experienced in the past?

I'd definitely like to have an awning.

It looks like Carefree Awnings are the least finicky so far.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #40

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I guarantee my carefree has been on for a number of years, and works great. No issues with damage to the fiberglass. The only issue I've had, was the front corners ripped a bit at the seam…when I forgot to lower the legs, and there was 12" of water sitting in it. You can't blame the awning for that one. I was fairly impressed it did that well. Lesson learned.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp