Jack Stand - Not Staying Attached - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Jack Stand - Not Staying Attached

I bought a new jack stand last year along with a c-clip tool. We went camping a couple of times & it held up but when I put it storage... it came off.

Is there a good way to get that clip seated all the way around? Thank you for your info.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Perhaps a picture...? I'm not sure what what type of jack stand you're talking about and what's coming loose. Is it coming loose when the jack stand is stored inside the trailer or when the trailer is stored on the jack stand?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Maybe referring to a fold up type tongue jack that is held on it's mounting base by a huge snap ring. That is what is on our Uhaul, and the only thing I can think of the OP means.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Yes... I meant the big snap ring that holds the jack on the tounge.

I figured out that the ring is a little too thick for the groove. I'm going to try thinning out the ring some by sanding.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You might try seating it into the groove by tapping on it with a hammer and punch. Also maybe clean up the groove with a file but be sure to keep the groove edge square, don't get any taper that would let the snap ring pop out.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Clean the snap ring and the groove and see if the ring will seat in the groove if inserted OD of the ring into the groove.
If it will then the ring is the right size.
then look at the ring. Most are stamped and have a side that is slightly rounded and a side with a slightly sharp edge where it was stamped.
Install the ring with the sharp edge away from the part being retained.
If installed the other way around it will sometimes pop out if the groove.
Sometimes it might be a tight fit, especially if it is dirty, and takes a little tapping in with a small punch to seat the ring.
Sometimes we take some safety wire and tie up the holes on the ends to keep them from spreading, but that is usually not necessary if the ring is installed with that sharp edge on the outside.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote