Junction box for cable - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #1

Name: Laurette
Trailer: Scamp "Yurtle"
New Hampshire
Junction box for cable

I am hoping to replace the cable that runs from my 7 pin connector to the trailer. I am not sure where the junction box is located once it enters the front of my Scamp. I looked in the front, right side bench compartment but did not see it. Is it located under the Rat Fur? Or is it located under the trailer behind some type of metal box.?

Also is there anything I need to know before I start this project? My current cable is in very bad shape. Looks like PO let it drag a few times as he towed. I was planning on purchasing a new cable with the 7 pin connector already attached from E Trailer unless there is a better option out there.

I have a 1995 13'acamp.

Thanks everyone for your help.
LCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:53 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
No box

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCarlson View Post
I am hoping to replace the cable that runs from my 7 pin connector to the trailer. I am not sure where the junction box is located once it enters the front of my Scamp..
Scamp uses a standard rats nest with wire nuts and bad crimps. When you do the rewire you will find several boxes that can and should be used.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...vw-1-pg-Wiring
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:43 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Lots of options on where to buy. I bought mine on ebay, and got one with a waterproof junction box too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Scamp uses a standard rats nest with wire nuts and bad crimps. When you do the rewire you will find several boxes that can and should be used.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...vw-1-pg-Wiring
I agree.. replace that tangle of wires and wire nuts with a junction box. Although they are usually put on the tongue of the trailer, I found that inside under the front bench worked for me. Of course it depends on if you can get access to this area.

The umbilical cord goes in to the left side of the unction box at the bottom of this photo. The Scamp wiring that was in the rats nest goes into the other side of the box. You can ignore the rest of the stuff.. its mostly solar and battery monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
umbilical_box.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #5

Name: Laurette
Trailer: Scamp "Yurtle"
New Hampshire
Thank you everyone- I still can't seem to find the rats nest of wires inside my trailer. Are they located in the front right compartment or are they under the trailer somehow tucked up on the underbelly?
LCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Junction box for cable

Mine are in the right front compartment under the gaucho. My umbilical passes through the shell there. It’s possible a previous owner has made changes.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Those junction boxes are not that waterproof, the problem being where the wires pass through, but they do make for neat connections.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote