Just purchased a 13' Bolar! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Name: Debbie
Trailer: Boler
Tennessee
Just purchased a 13' Bolar!

I'm excited about my Bolar,and glad you guys are here for help! First, the title I got from the seller says it's a 1960, and we know that's not true! I think it might be a 69. The serial number is 635. Are there any distinguishing features about specic years? Secondly, are there any thoughts about getting the smallest ac/ heat roof unit? Will the roof/ceiling hold the weight? I'm going to redo all electric with the PD 4045 power center. Any thoughts?
Debbietwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Edward
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Debbietwisted

I believe it is spelled Boler not Bolar.
Edward in AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I can speak to using the PD-4045.

I recommend them without reservation. I have installed a number of them in different FGRV's without problems, including in my own,

One tip: Understand how the black wire for the converter/charger hooks up. You should install a separate breaker for that wire, next to the main breaker, and then install any additional breakers you may want/need for other AC loads.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Tennessee
Thank you Bob for that info, I will do just that! Any thoughts from anyone about the roof ac/ heat unit for my Boler?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

The roofs aren't very strong on bolers. We had one for a while. They sag naturally over time with nothing on them. If you want to throw an AC heater unit up top, I think you better ensure you have the sink/counter to ceiling bracket, and possibly build a support on the right side of the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
You are right it won't be a 1960 since the first Boler was not produced until 1968. Does your Boler have a flat roof or is there a raised section or bubble in the center? None of the 13" Boler's can support a roof mounted AC especially if it is a flat roof model, these have by far the weakest roof structures. I am guessing being unit 635 it is a 1969 flat top Boler.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Tennessee
It is not a flat roof it is rounded. Is does not have the little window over the range that I notice in a lot of pics. It's a mystery. If you didn't know how old you are, how old would you be?
Old 10-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The small window was optional so that missing means nothing. If it is not a flat roof it could still be a 1969, a very early version of the raised roof model when it was changed.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Alberta
For bolers "flat" is a relative term. The original ones didn't have the "shoulder" portion that goes vertical then goes horizontal again. Difficult to describe. Someone needs to post pics of both styles. And without some substantial structural improvements I wouldn't try putting any A/C unit on top. Although they can hold the 60+ lbs when you put it on top, imagine the downforce when you hit a pot hole going highway speeds. We use a floor model and then run an exhaust hose for the hot air to either a side window or somewhere else. Others have had success putting them into the cubby's below too.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
For bolers "flat" is a relative term. The original ones didn't have the "shoulder" portion that goes vertical then goes horizontal again. Difficult to describe. Someone needs to post pics of both styles.
It's referred to as a trolley roof, raised in the centre portion of the roof
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
TimR, what kind of floor model do you have and what size is it? I'm looking for something for my trailer also.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Alberta
Marina, Ours is an LG but any brand of the floor models you buy for a home will do. I then just cut some wood or use the plastic part you usually put into the window at home and attach it to the window in the boler. I think this is the one we have LG | 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner | Home Depot Canada It does of course take up some valuable floor space, but since we only used it at night and in the daytime (when in Moab and the temps were 38 degrees!) it tucked under the table not too bad. And then of course we could still used it at home after too.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote