Just saw 2014 Trillium 13 ft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Just saw 2014 Trillium 13 ft

I was coming back from the Scamp factory after getting some work done on my 2011- 13 ft and stopped at an Lake Region RV in Ramsey MN.

I was talking to Sandy about these and she told me Great West Vans has bought Trillium and is making a 13.5 and a 15.5 foot version. Great quality and nice looking trailers.

http://www.lakeregionrvs.com/pre_own...R0&veh=3334518

The call them a SideKick. I was thinking about seeing what a trade in would be but the price is pretty steep on these.
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
I was talking to Sandy about these and she told me Great West Vans has bought Trillium and is making a 13.5 and a 15.5 foot version. Great quality and nice looking trailers.
Does this mean that Tom Young is no longer involved?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

Registry
I dont know

All I know is that Great West Vans is making the SideKick
Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
They have a web site. Doesn't everybody?

http://www.greatwestvans.com/wp-cont...el-Trailer.pdf
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This was reported by a member last August. No one has explained whats going on. Perhaps Tom has found yet another company to make his trailers. If so, this will be the fifth. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
It was me who posted in August on trilliums new venture . I spoke with Tom Young at bolerama rally were he spoke of his new plans .he had just dropped off a load of trailers in Manitoba were he seems to have a joint venture with great west vans. He said he will mostly be involved in sales rather than manufacturing. He also said they plan to sell them on rv lots . Great west vans should make a real good quality product and hopefully a good price point
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

Registry
I saw the trailers in person yesterday.

I have been a quality manager as a Tier I and Tier II automotive supplier for 27 years, currently I am a Director of Quality and Regulatory for a class II medical device manufacturer, so I know a bit about quality, fit and finish.

Lets just say the double wall is nice. The wall's are nice, the cushions and foam are nice, the windows are better, the door fit and seals are nice, the door hinges are nice, the choice of dometic refrigerator is nice, the wheel wheels are nice, the trailer comes with alumn. wheel. If the price was comparable to Scamp it would be a no brainer.

Here's the rub.....the salesperson told me they were going to be about $20,000 but they did not have the pricing in yet.

I was at the Minnesota State fair and got a quote for $12,500 for a 13ft. SCAMP Deluxe with a front dinette. My aluminum wheels were $275 mounted balanced and delivered.

For the $7,000 difference...I will stay with a Scamp...now if it was a delta of $2,000 ..I would be there.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Raz

This sounds like the same arrangement Tom had with Mattman Specialty Vehicles ( company # 3), the folks who made mine. As near as I can figure part of his arrangement with them was that they cover the warranty. Long story short I had significant issues that I had to deal with myself. Unless you are handy you might want to wait a few years to see if they are still around.

When I bought mine in 2010 the cost was comparable to the Deluxe Scamp 13'. Raz
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Seems like too (two) many owners want their share of profits, causing the price to be too high.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #10

Registry
got the price $16,685

13 ft'r for $16,685
Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I presume that is the bare bones model.

http://www.greatwestvans.com/wp-cont...el-Trailer.pdf
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wow, if I'm reading right the basic "Classic" model doesn't even come with a spare tire? Hummmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
At an RV place in Abbotsford there is a 2014 13' and 15' Side Kick by Great West to view along with a 2013 13' Trillium to compare it to. Cant see any signage on the Side Kicks that indicate its a Trillium other than the Trillium logo embossed on door.

Lots of pictures of all three trailers can be found at www.getawayrv.com - its intreasting to see the changes inside the 2013 to the 2014.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
This sounds like the same arrangement Tom had with Mattman Specialty Vehicles ( company # 3), the folks who made mine. As near as I can figure part of his arrangement with them was that they cover the warranty.
Not so sure about that Raz, Tom had a lot of different places make the Trilliums for him (including Escape for a short time) since he split off from the Trillium Group in Canada, (now known as Trillium Outback). But even though the US Trilliums (Toms company) where being built by 3rd parties they always had Trillium name and logos on them and no mention of the 3rd party who made them.... which makes me think in 2014 things have changed big time in regards to Tom's ownership/involvement...
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I wonder that happened to the new Florence, Arizona plant, Is it closed already?

About Us | Trillium RV
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not so sure about that Raz, Tom had a lot of different places make the Trilliums for him (including Escape for a short time) since he split off from the Trillium Group in Canada, (now known as Trillium Outback). But even though the US Trilliums (Toms company) where being built by 3rd parties they always had Trillium name and logos on them and no mention of the 3rd party who made them.... which makes me think in 2014 things have changed big time in regards to Tom's ownership/involvement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
It was me who posted in August on trilliums new venture . I spoke with Tom Young at bolerama rally were he spoke of his new plans .he had just dropped off a load of trailers in Manitoba were he seems to have a joint venture with great west vans . He said he will mostly be involved in sales rather than manufacturing. He also said they plan to sell them on rv lots . Great west vans should make a real good quality product and hopefully a good price point
Perhaps you are correct but the term "joint venture" was also used with Trillium-Escape and Trillium-Mattman.

Looking at the Trillium 1300 made in California ( like mine) you will notice a hollowing on both sides of the door at the bottom. I was told by an owner of a '73 Trillium that that corrects a door sealing issue. The 13' Side Kick has the same hollow. This leads me to believe their molds originated from the same molds mine was made from. Might even be the same molds?? Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-313640706.jpg   image-3861176085.jpg  

Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Perhaps you are correct but the term "joint venture" was also used with Trillium-Escape and Trillium-Mattman.

Looking at the Trillium 1300 made in California ( like mine) you will notice a hollowing on both sides of the door at the bottom. I was told by an owner of a '73 Trillium that that corrects a door sealing issue. The 13' Side Kick has the same hollow. This leads me to believe their molds originated from the same molds mine was made from. Might even be the same molds?? Raz
Raz, I would be surprised if they were not the same molds being used. I think the question is - who really owns the rights to the Trillium molds and name in the US now?

Wasnt it just a year or so ago that someone mentioned here that Tom had his own plant up in running someplace in Souther Cal or Arizona? What happened to that? and why do the 2014 say by Great West and no mention of Trillium if its simple a joint venture .... all a little odd.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #18

Registry
Side Kick $16,685 is a Ledgend package

The price is for a legend package.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #19

Name: marian
Trailer: Concerned Trillium Owner
California
Unhappy regarding 2014 Trillium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
I was coming back from the Scamp factory after getting some work done on my 2011- 13 ft and stopped at an Lake Region RV in Ramsey MN.

2014 TRILLUM

The call them a SideKick. I was thinking about seeing what a trade in would be but the price is pretty steep on these.
My husband and I bought a 2014 13 foot Trillium in Pleasanton July 2013 The first time we plugged into an outlet, we discovered the wiring wasn't completely hooked up. Took it back to the dealer so he could finish what probably should have been done at the factory. We were told it had been all checked out and was ready to go. Took it home and went to fill up the holding tank and the hoses blew off and sprayed water all over the inside of the trailer. Clamps were not tightened down. There are slight cracks around the door jam we were told were common in all Trilliums. We had only taken it on one trip, an overnighter about 80 miles from home in August. Last weekend we took it to Ben Lomond. Discovered the thermostat to the heater wasn't working. Made mental note to call dealer again. On the way home on highway 17, doing 55 around a turn, a wheel flew off the trailer and went across the meridian into oncoming traffic. Luckily, we were able to get safely to a turnout. Then discovered the lugnuts on the other tire were only finger tight which I'm sure was the cause of this tire flying off. Going thru insurance issues right now. The dealer is promising to "make it right." We are still waiting for the spare tire holder we were promised in July. Every other week we get another story about why it isn't here yet. At this point, I strongly urge you to run as far and fast as you can away from the 2014 Trillium. If there is anyone out there who has any nice things to say about a Trillium, please share. I want so badly to be able to feel safe using this trailer again as we paid a ton for it and we're stuck with it. marianb
marianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #20

Name: marian
Trailer: Concerned Trillium Owner
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianb View Post
My husband and I bought a 2014 13 foot Trillium in Pleasanton July 2013 The first time we plugged into an outlet, we discovered the wiring wasn't completely hooked up. Took it back to the dealer so he could finish what probably should have been done at the factory. We were told it had been all checked out and was ready to go. Took it home and went to fill up the holding tank and the hoses blew off and sprayed water all over the inside of the trailer. Clamps were not tightened down. There are slight cracks around the door jam we were told were common in all Trilliums. We had only taken it on one trip, an overnighter about 80 miles from home in August. Last weekend we took it to Ben Lomond. Discovered the thermostat to the heater wasn't working. Made mental note to call dealer again. On the way home on highway 17, doing 55 around a turn, a wheel flew off the trailer and went across the meridian into oncoming traffic. Luckily, we were able to get safely to a turnout. Then discovered the lugnuts on the other tire were only finger tight which I'm sure was the cause of this tire flying off. Going thru insurance issues right now. The dealer is promising to "make it right." We are still waiting for the spare tire holder we were promised in July. Every other week we get another story about why it isn't here yet. At this point, I strongly urge you to run as far and fast as you can away from the 2014 Trillium. If there is anyone out there who has any nice things to say about a Trillium, please share. I want so badly to be able to feel safe using this trailer again as we paid a ton for it and we're stuck with it. marianb
Thought I should mention we haven't heard of anyone being injured by the tire on the oncoming side. Our drum and undercarriage to the trailer are damaged as it slid on the bottom of the trailer til we could get it to a stop. I would have never thought to check the lugnuts on a trailer that has gone less than 200 miles.
marianb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium