Keeping an eye on pets while away from RV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 11:18 AM   #1

Name: Gerald
Trailer: Ulta 5th Wheel
AZ
Keeping an eye on pets while away from RV

Hello everyone we are looking for some help/advice on how to keep an eye on our pets while we are away from the RV during the day. A couple of years ago we almost killed our pets because we didn't know that the a/c breaker had failed while we were gone for the day. Fortunately they survived and we were able to get the breaker replaced. We know that there are several cameras out there that work off of camp site Wi-Fi signals but which ones will allow us to be able to see our pets while we are out in town exploring? The one that we bought we thought would work won't connect to hot spots or cell service. What do you recommend???

Thanks in advance
jvhretiredatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #2

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
I had the same problem. I need to be able to power the a/c during the summer if I want to go out with friends or family for dinner for a couple of hours. I found Marcell which runs on it's own server/network. You don't need to have a wifi connection at the park, etc.
Has worked great for me. Got a notification when the generator ran out of fuel (I got the power down notification to my phone, as well as a notification that the temperature had increased above my "happy" maximum.)
https://www.meetmarcell.com
I have had no complaints. Works while dry-camping. As long as I can get a cell signal, it works.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A camping neighbour informed us that once we pulled out in the car, our dog began barking and continued until we returned.

My advice is no pets.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My advice is no pets.
Our dog is never alone in the campsite.

Not when we go pee, go to get wood, empty trash, NEVER.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #5

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
A camping neighbour informed us that once we pulled out in the car, our dog began barking and continued until we returned.

My advice is no pets.
With all the problems associated with pets and camping, your advice should be highly considered. I love our pets at home but pets rate rather high on the problems at campgrounds.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Love me love my dog. I pretty much take our dog wherever we go. I don’t leave him alone in the CG for any period of time. If I’m in the campground and there’s a potluck etc, I put him in the camper in his big hard sided kennel. I don’t leave him loose. in the trailer.
When I go to an evening campfire I bring him along.
In cold weather I leave him in the car when I go shopping for groceries in town sometimes but from the time warm weather starts till mid fall’s cool days he stays home.
He has a big vocabulary and knows a lot of words. And he has a big bark and big appetite.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Our dog suffers from separation anxiety, and panic attacks if left alone. She stays with our son, or a neighbor when we are gone. She is extremely destructive if left alone for more than one half hour. And tranquilizers are not always successful.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #8
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Our dog is never alone in the campsite.

Not when we go pee, go to get wood, empty trash, NEVER.
That’s the only safe way. Also, I can’t imagine leaving a pet alone in a trailer. It wants to be in it’s familiar home or with you. Putting it in a “hard sided” crate is selfish and cruel. If it isn’t able to be free in the RV, don’t take it. I personally would never use a ‘crate.’ But then, my dog is my companion. Nicer than most people.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:40 PM   #9

My wife has visited numerous road-side attractions and museums while I sat in the car with the dog.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #10

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
You should never be more than 6' from your pet.

And it should be no closer than 50' to me, without an invitation.
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:00 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

My advice is no pets.
Animals that bark all the time are animals that have not been trained. I do realize some animals can't be trained but when we had dogs no one ever complained about them barking while we worked or was gone from the RV. We asked people and most never knew we had dogs. It took training them not to bark when they started while they were puppies and they were great pets. Now we travel with a cat and she is great also. We give her food, water and a clean litter box and she's good all day. On hot days we need to have the A/C running for her and if no electric we have fans that run and leave vents and upper windows open and limit our time away. Most pet owners nowadays don't train their pets no more than people don't train their kids.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:08 PM   #12

This dog, Charly, didn't normally bark. She was a beagle that didn't howl. She would quietly wait until you left the room to get more crackers and then devour the cheese plate.
How do you train a dog not to bark when you have left the campsite? How do you know the dog isn't barking? We thought Charly just slept.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fire 1.jpg  
Old 05-23-2022, 04:34 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I am intrigued with the idea of having a camera synced to your mobile phone. It’s actually a great idea.

I bought a trailer to support my dog hobby - training & exhibiting my dogs in AKC Hunt tests & field trials. Bottom line: my dogs are with me wherever I go.

Our TV is our dog training vehicle. It’s an SUV which we tricked up to accommodate our needs. We pulled out the back set of seats to make room for the crates & training equipment. We have the dog crates mounted on a cargo/equipment box with pull out drawers. The dog crates have deep water bowls secured to the doors. My greatest concern is keeping the dogs safe in hot weather.

On hot days, we mount fans to the outside of the crates doors. We also have sun shields for the front windshield and space blankets for the side windows. We always try to park facing the sun. Because we train with other people, we do leave the dogs to Work in the field for the other dogs. That is why we have set up the crates and SUV to keep the dogs safe on hot as well as cold, rainy days.

In town, we leave the back “tailgate” window up so the crates will get air and the side windows open as well. In our suv, when we open the window portion of the tailgate, then lock the car, the tailgate cannot be opened making it impossible to open the crates & take the dogs out.

If we go to a restaurant, we find a window seat so we can see the car. On extremely hot days, if we need to go shopping, one of us we’ll stay with the car.

One thing we considered doing is to mount a solar panel on the roof to power a couple of 12 volt fans or even an AC. This would serve to move air around the crates. But we would continue to keep windows & the tailgate window up. We’d continue to park facing the sun & mount the sun shield.

A couple of years ago, I was in Oregon and stopped at a park to air the dogs. I was not planning to be long & left the entire tailgate opened. When I returned to the Tahoe, the head of the county’s animal control department was waiting for me. He was really impressed with our setup & wanted to compliment me. Nice validation.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:40 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My dog goes just about every where with me. When we're camping, people stop in to visit, get their golden "fix" and often lament not bringing their dog. If the dog is well trained, there shouldn't be an issue. If not, that's the owners fault, not the dogs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20201224_061402.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	146014
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:08 AM   #15

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
You should never be more than 6' from your pet.
Very good advice we ignore all the time.

Our dog goes more than six feet away from us when we're camping, but unfortunately, came back like this last weekend. (Ouch for him and $650 for us)

He'll wear his "Puff" collar and stay within sight when hiking from now on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7175.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #16

Name: Gerald
Trailer: Ulta 5th Wheel
AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
I had the same problem. I need to be able to power the a/c during the summer if I want to go out with friends or family for dinner for a couple of hours. I found Marcell which runs on it's own server/network. You don't need to have a wifi connection at the park, etc.
Has worked great for me. Got a notification when the generator ran out of fuel (I got the power down notification to my phone, as well as a notification that the temperature had increased above my "happy" maximum.)
https://www.meetmarcell.com
I have had no complaints. Works while dry-camping. As long as I can get a cell signal, it works.
Thank you everyone for your advice/opinion we appreciate them all. Our pets are kenneled when at home and we leave for work/errands and we do the same when we are traveling, they are not loose in the trailer and yes usually are sleeping. However, they are dogs and dogs do bark. We did order the Marcell, Thank you Deb Mac, which is arriving today and we will see how it works. It really came down to either the Marcell or the Wagle because both use cell service not WiFi to monitor the temp and humidity in the RV and we can monitor while we are not there. So again Thank you for everyone's advice/opinion it is appreciated.
jvhretiredatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:55 AM   #17

Name: Aoife
Trailer: Boler
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
That’s the only safe way. Also, I can’t imagine leaving a pet alone in a trailer. It wants to be in it’s familiar home or with you. Putting it in a “hard sided” crate is selfish and cruel. If it isn’t able to be free in the RV, don’t take it. I personally would never use a ‘crate.’ But then, my dog is my companion. Nicer than most people.
Putting a dog in a crate is absolutely NOT cruel. I don't even understand your thinking. Most dog professionals train their dogs from a young age to be comfortable in a crate, in fact its often the place they choose to go when left alone even if not closed inside and feel safe in when in new place. If you are not ever leaving your dogs alone then you are not the average person or pet owner. I hope you never have an emergency and need to be evacuated, when the most kind thing you could have done for your dog to prepare is to train it to feel comfortable in a crate.
AoifeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #18
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
keeping an eye on pets

Well, you people who box your pets up in a cage, I can’t do anything about that. I’ve had dogs and cats for over 80 years, child and adult, and never put any of them in a cage, except a carrier when transporting them. Anyone can find an excuse for anything I guess, even “crates.”.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Animals that bark all the time are animals that have not been trained. I do realize some animals can't be trained but when we had dogs no one ever complained about them barking while we worked or was gone from the RV. We asked people and most never knew we had dogs. It took training them not to bark when they started while they were puppies and they were great pets. Now we travel with a cat and she is great also. We give her food, water and a clean litter box and she's good all day. On hot days we need to have the A/C running for her and if no electric we have fans that run and leave vents and upper windows open and limit our time away. Most pet owners nowadays don't train their pets no more than people don't train their kids.
I agree whole heartedly! I have owned three dogs. The first a German Shephard that was obedience trained as well as taught that he was not a guard or protector. It took from puppyhood to almost two years old to make him a model citizen. My third was a Sheltie, which are known as barkers. We taught ours that barking was not acceptable behavior and she too became a model citizen at a very early age. Now our second dog, A Dalmatian, which was untrainable, at least by me. It knew what I wanted and would perform well on a leash. It had no desire to please and if it had hands instead of paws, while off leash would probably have just given me a middle finger. Bottom line, I couldn't train it. When it was 14 months old I had had enough. Found it a new home and the new owner couldn't train it either. Too many good dogs in the world that need homes to tolerate a dog that can't be trained. And owners that don't take training their dogs seriously probably should never expose them to other people.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Ownershp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Well, you people who box your pets up in a cage, I can’t do anything about that. I’ve had dogs and cats for over 80 years, child and adult, and never put any of them in a cage, except a carrier when transporting them. Anyone can find an excuse for anything I guess, even “crates.”.
80 years of doing anything does not make a person an expert. You people is not classy either. This country has bigger problems than a dog in a crate and I make no excuses for putting our dog in his which he will jump into from the ground when I ask, tell, command but mostly just open the cage door and say UP. I learn every day and I like the attitude “live and let live”. So as my dad always said “Go sell your papers on another corner”.
Proudly Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote