Keeping it all together. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Keeping it all together.

So I was wondering what solutions everyone has to keeping their glasses,plates and stuff in their cupboards in one place. I have the two door cupboard over the Appliances which we are keeping 4 plates,bowels and glasses. I've only taken the Trillium on one tow to be weighed and the stuff was scattered. Do I need baskets? Custom containers? Love to see some pics and ideas.
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Bowels???
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
When you say "scattered" I'm assuming you mean within the cabinet, not on the floor, right?

I had some success with the spring-loaded dividers meant for RV refrigerators. My Scamp has 3 doors so I got 2 dividers and put them between the doors. They have two separate tension rods, so I was able to accommodate the curvature of the upper shell at the back of the cabinet. I also put the anti-skid shelf liner underneath.

Cardboard boxes are another option: cheap, light, and can be cut to fit.

Plastic baskets would be nice if you eat outside a lot - take the whole basket out with you. Dollar stores are your friends.

Another idea... Would a small dish drainer fit in the cabinet? Two birds...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We use drawer liner in the bottom of the cabinets, as a wee square of the liner between plates and bowls too. The space is quite full, so things don't move around too much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #5

Ontario
Bowels = bowls.......love auto correct
Old 10-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #6

Ontario
Not familiar with the dividers for the RV fridge. I have the non slip cupboard liners. The plates only moved a bit but the glasses were all over inside the cupboard. I do have more to add. I think the basket idea may work well.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Inside cabinets, I use inexpensive Ikea boxes meant for organizing drawers. Black. Maybe Skubb? not sure.
I use suction cup holders designed for bathrooms & showers, on the fiberglass wall, to hold plastic and melmac plates, cups and glasses.
Wedging everything so it's tight and full is probably the biggest key. I don't carry much that's breakable. If I do, it's wrapped and wedged in the fridge or microwave (aka extra cupboard.)
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
First we have door locks on our cabinets. Second we limit glass based upon experience. There are roads from hell.

Inside the cabinets we use small plastic trays, less than a dollar at Walmarts to hold our glasses and coffee cups. Only our coffee cups are not plastic. We do line our shelves with rubber liner. The dishes sit on a two level shelf divider.

Our bowels are all plastic and nest. We do carry one corning ware dish with cover. It's on a rubber liner and never moves. We have a large set of nesting storage containers, again in one of those plastic trays. (We must have two dozen of plastic trays of multiple sizes, some simply screwed to door frames or the back of cabinet drawers.)

All the plastic trays result in little nooks for odd things like our plastic wine glasses.

We have a pantry that uses 4 of these trays to hold canned goods. The pantry is low and over the axle.

Most of these things can be seen under Preparing a 1991 Scamp in the Modifications section.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Because, at over 40 years of age, I have a somewhat classic trailer, I use mostly classic (Late 60's) Tupperware Harvest, cups and tumblers. They are all made of some indestructible material from the planet Melmac and are the same style I used in my first RV's.

They are readily available on eBay and in beautiful (?) colors as well. Anyway, they can all be nested together to fit into a drawer and, in a pinch can be used as leveling blocks (LOL)

7 Vintage Tupperware Harvest Coffee Cups Mugs with Lids Coasters | eBay

3 Vintage Tupperware 12 oz Tumbler Cups Lot 873 17 with Lids | eBay

Set of 4 Vintage Tupperware Serve N Store Cereal Bowls in Harvest Colors | eBay

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Ontario
The doors all latch shut on the cupboards. All our dishes are plastic and glasses. They all just move in the cupboard since nothing is fastened down. I like the solutions everyone uses to accomplish the same thing? Not that I want to pack too much weight in the cupboard there is some wasted space.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
There is a member here that makes dividers, holders and such that you're looking for. I'm sure he will chime in soon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
There is a member here that makes dividers, holders and such that you're looking for. I'm sure he will chime in soon.
Ohhhh Charlie... where are you?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #13

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Heard a suggestion to use the children's inflatable armbands (we called them floaties) to insert into those areas where you have gaps or items that don't quite fill a cupboard.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:50 AM   #14

Ontario
I must add although the stuff was contained in the cupboard other things moved around. 1curtian fell off. Some light stuff up on the shelves bounced off and the two throw pillows ended up on the floor. All stuff I will need to secure.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Keeping it all together.

Don, have you checked on the age & condition of your axle? That's why I asked whether things stayed in the cabinets or not. Since you just did a short drive on (presumably) good roads, that much tossing about could mean the rubber in your axle is hardened.

You can check by raising one side of the trailer using a floor jack (on the frame near the axle, not on the axle itself). Watch to see if the axle arm drops down as the frame is raised. If there is little or no movement, the axle is shot, and that would definitely explain why things won't stay put.

A bad axle can cause a host of other problems as well, since the shock of every bump, pothole, and expansion joint is transmitted directly to the frame and shell. Most seem to put the typical lifespan of a torsion axle at 15-20 years.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Good catch Jon. I looked at his profile after your post, and I noticed the trailer is a 1975.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ohhhh Charlie... where are you?
Hi Donna, looks like the type of dividers I make for Escapes would work, although I'd need a cardboard or poster board profile for the shape of the Trillium roofline. Haven't got these up on my web site yet.

Charlie Y
Attached Thumbnails
Dividers.jpg   PICT0226.jpg  

PICT0230.jpg   PICT0229 (2).jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #18

Ontario
Let's hope there isn't an axle problem John. I'll try to have a look at that tonight.

Are your dividers made of corrugated plastic Charlie? Can't really see the picture good being on the iPad. If you need a Trillium roof line for your files I could measure or try a cardboard cutout for you.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a number of Charlies plastic storage devices...including a wine rack, and two storage shelves. Two of the storage shelves are attached to fiberglass walls with vhb tape, one holds meds and the other spices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Are your dividers made of corrugated plastic Charlie? Can't really see the picture good being on the iPad. If you need a Trillium roof line for your files I could measure or try a cardboard cutout for you.
Dividers are made of solid ABS white plastic, 1/8th inch thick, and bent to meet your width requirements for the divider - everything is custom made. A cardboard template would be best to get the curvature right for your Trillium roof. Also need to know the distance from the bottom of your shelf to the inside front of the cabinet framing and the height of your door opening (so you can get it in the door!) Mailing address is on the web site.

RV Widget Works | ,

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote