Kelty Carport Deluxe Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Does anyone know if the medium is just like the large except smaller?

The picture is not the same. The description (number of poles, windows, etc, is.) there is a ton of confusion on which carport is which when you try to find it. The large one seems like it would be too large for my trailer (since it would go on the back, not the side) but I am having trouble figuring out if the medium is the same.

Have you ever tried to set your Carport Deluxe up without the car/trailer? Can you set it up so the poles hold up the front and the back sits on the ground (for example at the beach?) Someone referred to this on a review but wasn't very descriptive.

Thanks,
Bobbie

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
at Bandon, there was a guy in a teardrop next to me that had 3 of these things, in different sizes. He managed to have them attached in all different manners.

I would think the TW would be easy.

I saw them at Sportsmart. Maybe you could go look and touchy feely...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
at Bandon, there was a guy in a teardrop next to me that had 3 of these things, in different sizes. He managed to have them attached in all different manners.

I would think the TW would be easy.

I saw them at Sportsmart. Maybe you could go look and touchy feely...
Never heard of Sportsmart. Seems to be the same as Sportsauthority; they don't show it online. Maybe in the store? Might be worth a visit. We have two of these stores- across the street from each other!! It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Bobbie
Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #4

Registry
559-261-9438
7477 N Blackstone Ave
Fresno, CA 93720
Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #5

Registry
Yeah, its just called different here (weird.)

I'll have to check to see if they have it- thanks for the tip! Edit: I looked again at their website and they show the Kelty shelter and car tarps but not the Carport Deluxe- sure that's what you saw?

My other option I'm considering is to use the fly from the old tent to make a similar awning but it isn't light-colored material so could be hotter.

Bobbie
Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #6

Registry
I also just discovered this, which looks like a possibility, too.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=A7905

Bobbie
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #7

Registry
I used the rainfly from a defunct A-Frame tent when I camped with just my Element. The could work, but it would not be very industrial, so to speak.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #8

Registry
Well, I went to check. I went to both stores and neither carried any Kelty shelters. (And not much else of anything useful.) But I was reminded when I was up there that we have an REI store finally, so checked that. Nope. But if I order one with my discount (today!) I could pick it up there and save shipping.

Unfortunately I'm still undecided.

I keep thinking I want something lighter than my Ez-up. But then I remember that the long trip is to Washington and back, and on the way back I go to an agility trial where we can't camp right on the show grounds, so I'd need shade that is free-standing for that. (If shade is needed- it is usually pretty cool as it is up in Eureka.) I could still use something lighter the rest of the time, though.

Still wondering if the Kelty Carport Deluxe can be used as a clamshell-type shelter free-standing.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #9

Registry
I had the predecessor to this one Wally World Screen shelter that was fairly easy to set up.. and it was lighter than air as well.

This one is smaller, but may do the job you want.. and certainly cheaper than anything with the Kelty logo on it.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #10

Registry
Smaller IS better in this case.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I had the predecessor to this one Wally World Screen shelter that was fairly easy to set up.. and it was lighter than air as well.

This one is smaller, but may do the job you want.. and certainly cheaper than anything with the Kelty logo on it.
Not water or wind resistant according to the reviews, and heavier.

The sizes on the Kelty are either 10+ by 10- (not quite square) or 8+ x 7+. I'm looking at shading the back of the trailer, not the side, but when the 10x10 EZ up is behind it it isn't that big by comparison. So maybe large is better, so it goes completely over the area. On the other hand, it would probably be less stable when attached, and harder to put up. Price difference is about $50.

Interestingly, most vendors have the large at $20 MORE than MSRP.

I'm trying to decide because if I order from REI it won't be quite the cheapest, but by far the easiest to return if I don't think it will work, and today is the last day to use my member 20% discount.

Btw, besides the weight, what I don't like about the EZ-up is that putting it up is a 2 person job, at least.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
I was the guy next to Gina in Bandon last year.
We use a large sized Carport over the galley of our Tear and a medium as a privacy screen on Norma's side.
I like them because they are easy to set up and pack much smaller and lighter than our EZ Up.
I don't know how to post pics here, but if you want to join Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers, here's a link to my album there.
T&TTT album

paul
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
I was the guy next to Gina in Bandon last year.
We use a large sized Carport over the galley of our Tear and a medium as a privacy screen on Norma's side.
How would you describe the medium compared to the large? Is it the same except smaller? Would it be too small to work over your galley for one person?

Bobbie
Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
How would you describe the medium compared to the large? Is it the same except smaller? Would it be too small to work over your galley for one person?

Bobbie
The medium is quite a bit different. It has more curvature to the main poles, so it give you head room above the top of the Tear when used on the side.
I bought the Large when they were on close out ($50!!) hoping to use it on the side, but it doesn't curve as much to provide head room.
Depending on how high the back of your rig is, the medium might be what you want.
I see Sierra Trading Post has mediums on sale for $131.95. They are a first rate company to deal with...I've never had a problem with a return there.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I see Sierra Trading Post has mediums on sale for $131.95. They are a first rate company to deal with...I've never had a problem with a return there.
That's the regular carport, not the deluxe. It doesn't stand up on poles and I don't know if it has the sides that come down. One of the problems I'm having with figuring this out is that some of the vendors have the picture of one thing and the description or name of the other. So I go by the description and match it to the one on Kelty's site.

Well, at this point I'm inclined to wait and hope they go on a great sale again. I have an EZ-up I can use and I might try the tent-fly.

Bobbie
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #16

Registry
Willar! Didn't realize you were a member here.. or I probably did and my brain cramped.

How are those ferocious critters?

Bobbie, yes, I saw the carport, but I couldn't tell you what size it was, or the price. I looked at the box and felt the weight just for grins.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Willar! Didn't realize you were a member here.. or I probably did and my brain cramped.

How are those ferocious critters?
Hi Gina,
Ya - I drop in from time to time....I still can't bring myself to buy a vehicle big enough to tow an Egg, so its wishfull thinking still.
The Girls are actually mellowing abit now that they're two
We'll be back in Bandon during part of the Gathering again this year. We're heading to NorCal for a Teardrop Gathering - probably see you then
Old 04-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #18

Registry
Well, I ordered the medium; today one of the Amazon vendors had it for $149, no tax, no shipping.

Medium Kelty Carport Deluxe

I figured as the next best price I found was $212 and they didn't lower the price on the large, that was a sign.

(Now watch it go to $50 again....)

Bobbie
Old 05-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
I also just discovered this, which looks like a possibility, too.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=A7905

Bobbie

I ordered one of these but have yet to try it out except in the yard. I will be taking it to the Indiana rally next weekend.

Karen
Attached Thumbnails
newawning.jpg  
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #20

Registry
I took mine (which is a medium) to Lake San Antonio and put it up on Saturday (I also took the ez-up just in case.)

It wasn't hard to put up but the first time I definitely needed to read all the directions carefully as it wasn't intuitive. It should be easy next time and it was easy to break down. The medium is just right for the back of the Campster. I ended up attaching it with velcro glued to the campster and two suction cups. I don't know how these would have held up if the wind came up.

Compared to the Ez-up- easier by far for one person to put up. Also much less shading- lets more light and heat through by far. For hot weather I would still want the Ez-up, though I might do what I sometimes do on the tent and put a reflective tarp on the Kelty before putting it up (Clip it to the Kelty with clamps.)

I meant to get a picture but didn't; maybe someone at the rally did and will post it. Thanks to Lisa M. and her friends for helping me set it up and Gina for helpful advice (like that we were curving the posts the wrong way!) and to Lisa M. for the velcro.

Bobbie