Know What You Don't Know - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Although my experience with trailer tires is very limited and unscientific, a SOP for me has emerged. Any trailer tire from a company or source of questionable quality gets replaced in 3-4 years, but if it is one of the high rated tires from a well regarded company, then it can go up to 5-6 years. My latest evidence supporting this plan came only last month and also supported another SOP I have regarding the use of tire pressure monitoring systems.

PS.. Know what you don't know, then learn it
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Maybe you can share those odds with the rest of us? The newer, higher quality tires like the Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle HD may change the game, but until more evidence is accumulated I'll stay with 3 or 4 years. Even the best trailer tires cost no more than a few tanks of gas and most of us only have two. Just an opinion, obviously.
the burden belongs to the accuser, what evidence do you have of a properly maintained tire "dry rotting" in only three years?
BTW; I have actually replaced my Scamp trailer tires about every 4 years on average with about 30,000 miles on each.
The only tire failure I have suffered was sidewall cracking (defect) on a tire less than 90 days old.
My car dolly had thirty years on the tires with no evidence of rot when It was sold.
All anecdotal and experience, so I would never presume to tell you when to change your tires, using any criteria you choose.
I bought my Scamp to wear out tires, not just to keep it around to practice changing them!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #23

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Well, FWIW, I also subscribe to changing them every 5 years, and not because they're even remotely worn out. Rubber deteriorates with age, and I don't like surprises when I'm on the road.
how often do you change the rubber seals on your wheel cylinders?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #24

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
the burden belongs to the accuser, what evidence do you have of a properly maintained tire "dry rotting" in only three years?
Sorry. I think you've confused yourself. You did say "the odds of getting a new tire with a factory defect is(sic) far greater than having a tire 'dry rot' in only three years." I just asked you to share those odds. Maybe you didn't mean to state that as a fact, just a speculation? Personally I don't pretend to have any special knowledge as to percentages of manufacturing defects, dry rot or any of the other things that can cause tire failure.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 PM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Sorry. I think you've confused yourself. You did say "the odds of getting a new tire with a factory defect is(sic) far greater than having a tire 'dry rot' in only three years." I just asked you to share those odds. Maybe you didn't mean to state that as a fact, just a speculation? Personally I don't pretend to have any special knowledge as to percentages of manufacturing defects, dry rot or any of the other things that can cause tire failure.
No confusion, a good new tire properly maintained will not dry rot in three years, and the number of factory defects is greater than zero. Take the original statement at face value or reject it out of hand.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
For the record, I never said anything about "dry rot" and don't even know exactly what's meant by that. Heat buildup, intermittent use, and time are the main enemies of trailer tires and most failures involve sidewall failure brought on by some or all of those factors. In my case I actually had one such failure occur, a blowout at highway speed on a tire outside the age range recommended. Anyone who's ever experienced such an event will understand my unwillingness to risk going through it again, especially solely to save a few bucks on a disposable item like a tire.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #27

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
how often do you change the rubber seals on your wheel cylinders?
When I pull the wheels for repacking the bearings, (which I only do about once every 3-4 years,) I replace the grease seals. Good time to do them while the wheels are off.

I only replace the wheel cylinder rubber components when I have the brakes replaced.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #28

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne E View Post
Bill, I completely admire your due diligence and willingness to wait until it felt you were getting the right trailer for you.
Thanks, all I know has come from either mistakes I have made in the past (plenty of them), or wisdom I have gathered from other experienced people on this forum. I highly recommend the latter, but much of my learning has come from the former.

The one thing I have as a personal rule is I will walk away from any deal that doesn't work for me, regardless of how far I have driven, and regardless of how hard the item was to find. I always let the seller know this in advance, in part to get a more realistic description of any problems or issues. I walked away from three vintage molded trailers before buying #4. I am "willing" to pay over market, but I am not willing to take on some issues.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #29

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Our 2000 Scamp 16"s tires went 11 years. Stored in the shade, outside on a concrete pad with some weight taken off with the jacks. No sign of cracks.
I changed them after 11 years with the next wider size to get more load capacity.

Maybe it's the "cheap" tires that don't last more than 5 years.
And maybe it's the heavily loaded or overloaded rigs that abuse their tires.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #30

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Our 2000 Scamp 16"s tires went 11 years. Stored in the shade, outside on a concrete pad with some weight taken off with the jacks. No sign of cracks.
I changed them after 11 years with the next wider size to get more load capacity.

Maybe it's the "cheap" tires that don't last more than 5 years.
And maybe it's the heavily loaded or overloaded rigs that abuse their tires.
Or maybe you were just lucky...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #31

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe we should ask him to buy some lottery tickets for us!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #32

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No luck involved, just good clean living!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #33

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm surprised that the person you paid to do the inspection didn't advise you the rig was due for tires, at 4 yrs old they're within replacement advisory age of 3-5 yrs for trailer tires. That's a pretty basic inspection point to miss IMO.

Per the things they did name (and presumably were equipped to replace) :

I'm interested in their assessment that the converter "didn't work" and even more their view that the "electric cord was unsafe". I presume you mean the shorepower connection and can't visualize can have gone wrong with it, and in an evidently invisible way-? Had someone tampered with/changed the end that plugs into the post or patched/spliced it along the length? I cant think of much else that can render such a cord "unsafe". Even if it had somehow become loosely connected where it enters the breaker box that's a simple reconnect matter. As for the converter, if they couldn't plug the trailer in due to its "unsafe cord", how did they determine the converter didn't work? Its only job is to convert shorepower to 12v for the operation of the 12v things in the trailer.
Francesca, I looked back at the paperwork today and see that the technician noted the "end not molded and missing part on shore cord." The converter output was 12.5 volts and charge was 12.5. Batteries - house/engine 12.5. On another note I still have no "lights, camera, action" after 48 hours off shore power so I am guessing a new battery could be in play.
Jeanne E is offline   Reply With Quote