Kumho 857 Tire Discontinued Canada?? Souce for Aluminum Rims - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 1972 & 1978 Bolers 13ft
Alberta
Kumho 857 Tire Discontinued Canada?? Souce for Aluminum Rims

Hi Folks,
I've been reading a few posts about how great the Kumho 857 tire is to put on Boler trailers and was super excited to get some.

Using the Kumho Canada website I called a local OK Tire shop and was told that the Kumho 857 was no longer available as it was discontinued?

Is this true? I live in Edmonton and would like to get my hands on 3 tires.

Also I'm looking for a really nice set of Aluminum Rims for my boler. I'm looking to get something really fancy and flashy. I've been advised a 14 inch or 15 Rim with a zero offset is what I should be looking for.

Any places online or in Edmonton Area that you can suggest me to start looking? The small 14 and 15 rims are hard to come by and not much selection from what I've seen so far.

Cheers
Rusty
Rusty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
I couldn't find Kumho's in Canada either, but they seem to be available readily in the US. I did find Maxxis m8008s which I have used in the past and have been quite happy with.

Kal-tire carries some wheels, depends on how much you want to spend. Most tire shops have access to most wheel styles/brands, but you'll do better if you do your research on the web before you go in and give them the style/part number.
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
If you should decide on aluminum rims, be sure to get the appropriate lug nuts for them as well. Aluminum rim lug nuts are different than their steel rim counterparts, and they are not cross-compatible.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #4

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Does Tirerack ship to Canada ? Or is there some import duty cost penalty that makes it too expensive ?
As for wheels, check out the Sendel wheels site.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #5

Greg, what is the difference in lug nuts?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #6

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Here's a bit of info on lug nuts/bolts:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...8-a756c1f7efc4

I believe that all the Sendel aluminum trailer wheels are a standard 60 degree conical taper. I know mine are, because I swapped the OE stainless "clad" nuts for aftermarket chrome ( not clad ).
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Paragraph copied from the website at the above link... (first two sentences describe what I was referring to.) Not all aluminum and alloy wheels require them, but there are many out there which do. Just be sure to check compatibility to be safe.

"While many aftermarket alloy wheels are designed to use your car's original lug nuts or bolts, others require new hardware. It may be something as critical as differences in the wheel's lug seat design as shown below, or something as simple as shorter lug heads to allow the wheel's center caps to fit. If your new wheels require new hardware, your invoice will list the appropriate quantity identified by our part description, beginning with an "N" for lug nuts or a "B" for lug bolts followed by the size, pitch, seat design, length and the appropriate lug wrench socket size."
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Aluminum rim lug nuts are different than their steel rim counterparts, and they are not cross-compatible.
Some are, some aren't compatible. Most lug nuts are 60 degree taper and could/should work depending on the age. Some wheels require a narrow or tall lug nut to fit, best to check first with what you have, as blanket statements can be misleading.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Here is a good blanket statment: Make sure your lug nuts are tight enough.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-53227.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #10

yup, common sense that one.