Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
HELP!
We have a leak in our 2005 Scamp 5th wheel when it rains. The water is on the floor of the hanging closet, which is next to the fridge, and leaks out onto the carpet. The walls of the closet are all dry. We've looked behind the fridge on the outside and there's a small amount of water on the side where the closet is, but not enough to account for the amount of water in the closet. We've let it dry out once and checked all the hoses, no leaks again till it rained. We've had the the vent on the roof over the fridge, re-caulked professionally ($100 later) but it leaked again with the next rainfall. . The belly band around the scamp looks fine, no obvious holes and the caulking looks good . We're at a loss. Any suggestions????
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Check the nearest window and it's drain vents. Water will travel great distances behind the wall covering before it emerges somewheres.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is one way that sounds promising if you can't find it.
I have no idea what it would cost, but there are RV dealers in Oregon that have it.

http://www.rvleaks.com/

Bill K

Quote:
HELP!
We have a leak in our 2005 Scamp 5th wheel when it rains. The water is on the floor of the hanging closet, which is next to the fridge, and leaks out onto the carpet. The walls of the closet are all dry. We've looked behind the fridge on the outside and there's a small amount of water on the side where the closet is, but not enough to account for the amount of water in the closet. We've let it dry out once and checked all the hoses, no leaks again till it rained. We've had the the vent on the roof over the fridge, re-caulked professionally ($100 later) but it leaked again with the next rainfall. . The belly band around the scamp looks fine, no obvious holes and the caulking looks good . We're at a loss. Any suggestions????
Christine
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We had leaks in our '84 16ft Scamp. Found them by using the garden hose and a spotter inside. I started at the bottom edge of the windows, then worked around the whole edge. A little pressure helped, not just dribbling the hose. One leak was where the support board was held on with screws through the fiberglass - water had followed the screws in and just rotted the support! There was no other water damage anywhere around it because it was contained by the fiberglass tabs supporting the board! Then had fun learning how to fix it all myself!
Good leak hunting!

Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
From the Links Section of Yahoo Scampers:

http://www.rverscorner.com/info/raintest/raintest.html

You can do the same thing at home with vacuum cleaner set to blow after sealing the obvious pressurized air outlets, like power port, windows, door gasket, with temporary painter's tape (the kind that comes off without leaving residue) and diluted soap-water solution. Big RVs need a lot of air volume to raise the pressure but should be a lot easier with our small-volume eggs.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Thanks for replies, we'll be trying "everything" I'll keep you posted!
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I had a leak exactly like this and I jacked up the air conditioner and used bytual tape and resealed it. Note: Order the tape. Do not use ordinary calk.

If that does not work, get yourself a calk gun and reseal all openings on the egg. I used the best Calk and purchased it from Lowes (White). Clean off before you reseal by using rubbing alcohol to get all residue off so the calk will hold.

Here is a good one 4 U. Had the problem over the table and it turned out to be water coming in through the Television Antenna. The part where you can turn the antenna. Only found that because I had someone sleeping there otherwise it would still B leaking.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #8

Name: Connie
Trailer: Bigfoot camper
Bigfoot camper leak

I have a 2003 Bigfoot camper with a recurring large leak from underneath the refrigerator when it really rains hard as on the Oregon coast. Checked the caulk around the roof vent but added more just in case, still leaked. Took it to an RV repair place who reportedly caulked everything, still leaks. Took the side access cover off and noted that it was wet on bottom. Any ideas where this leak is coming from? Has anyone had similar leaks from under the refrigerator on their Bigfoot camper? Thanks for any leads.
Connie Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #9

Trailer: Aliner
Connie, I had a leak under the refrigerator in my Casita when it rained also. Apparently the upper half of the wall is sloped inward just enough that it allows water into the upper vent.

The webmaster at the Casita Forum has designed a drip tray mounted in the top refrigerator vent to fix the problem. Since I installed mine, I get no water behind my refrigerator no matter how hard it rains.

Here's the link. You might have to register to view the pictures, but it is definitely a trailer-saving fix.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Landrum View Post
I have a 2003 Bigfoot camper with a recurring large leak from underneath the refrigerator when it really rains hard as on the Oregon coast. Checked the caulk around the roof vent but added more just in case, still leaked. Took it to an RV repair place who reportedly caulked everything, still leaks. Took the side access cover off and noted that it was wet on bottom. Any ideas where this leak is coming from? Has anyone had similar leaks from under the refrigerator on their Bigfoot camper? Thanks for any leads.
I had a similar problem of heavy rainwater with the help of side wind getting through the side vent forming a pool of water. I built in a dam to prevent water getting into the trailer. The dam is a ½” by ½” aluminum angle sealed in with silicone in as on the picture.
George.
Attached Thumbnails
ZR151112.jpg  
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #11

Thanks Sharon. I've registered for the site, awaiting final approval. Will then chase down the lead. Connie
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #12

Thanks George, really appreciate all the great ideas. Connie