Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Phyllis
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
Leak

Hello everyone
How do I find a leak? I thought I had it fixed as it rained and it was dry, now it’s leaking again. It only leaks when it’s level. It’s been pouring here for days.
I found this damage and sanded and fiberglass ed a larger area
Attached Thumbnails
14BF8A2C-1248-44F6-B726-AA5CD7D0F303.jpg  
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It would help to have a little more context. What kind of trailer is this, and what part of the trailer are we looking at? Where does the water appear?

In general, isolating a leak takes a dry day and some patience. Starting at the bottom and working your way up, apply water to likely culprits- fittings, vents, windows, belly band seam, even exterior lights. A garden watering can with a spout or a garden hose on low allows you to control where the water is applied. Check to see when water appears inside the trailer- it can take some time and appear at some distance from the source.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

New Jersey
Leak

It’s a 1971 Havasu. The hose is how I found tge leak. The patch I put was in front of the upper window and it’s leaking at the bottom of the upper window trim inside but only whe it’s level. I used the hose on all the windows and it doesn’t leak
Attached Thumbnails
7B2F81B1-1F67-475D-BA06-03052C8977EF.jpeg  
Old 06-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
So maybe the window is leaking, but there are many different ways a window can leak. Such as the following (typical elimination sequence):

- Plugged weep holes in window tracks. Clean the tracks by flushing out and picking out the crud. Also may have to remove window sash from tracks, then remove plastic tracks to access the dirt.
- Failing sealant between the window frame and the fiberglass body. The fix is to remove the entire window, clean off the old sealant, re-seal with new butyl tape, and re-install the window.
- Leaky rubber/vinyl seals in various window parts. The seals must be replaced.
- Failing sealant or seals between the glass pane and the sash or inner-most window frame. Remove the glass, remove old sealant/seals, replace and re-seat the window pane.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:46 AM   #5

New Jersey
Thanks, I thought at first it was that upper window because it was full of crud and I actually bought bytul tape to use. I guess I’ll remove the window
Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If its a sliding window, and if there is crud in the track, water can overflow the track and back up into the camper. Then one needs to keep testing with higher volumes of water to verify that the space between the track and bottom of the window frame has been completely cleared and water is flowing freely out of the weep holes.

When removing the entire window assembly from the fiberglass body, cleaning and re-installing, use a double layer of butyl tape if necessary, and then make sure the butyl tape oozes out all the way around the outer edge of the frame.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
Thanks, I thought at first it was that upper window because it was full of crud and I actually bought bytul tape to use. I guess I’ll remove the window
Thanks
Given the amount of silicone around that window (an earlier picture you posted), its clear it was a leaker. Going to have to remove the silicone first along with the window. There are several threads on silicone removal.Basically it contaminates the fiberglass, so its a job to remove it without spreading it.

Based on your description, could be the window assembly itself.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #8

New Jersey
Working on it now, it’s a complete mess. Just loosened all the rivets. I cleaned the track and the weep holes were open. I can’t get that screen out so taking a break. All the calk holding the glass in was rotted