Leak location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 74 Boler 1300
Manitoba
Leak location

Hello,

If the ensolite seam below the rear window shelf has water/moisture seeping from it - what is the most likely leak location? Belly band, window?

When you push on the ensolite near the seam, some droplets squeeze out.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210505_012820924.jpg   PXL_20210505_012817238.jpg  

r_o_wws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
How is that wood shelf attached? Screws, rivets, whatever? Windows are always one suspect, I would add wood shelf attachment to the list.

Need to inspect the floor in that area for soft spots = rot. Gravity pulls water downward, wood in the floor is the next victim.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What kind of trailer is this? How is the “shelf” piece attached? The window is the most likely culprit along with the shelf (if it involves through hull fasteners, scratch if not). Belly band leaks are not common on Boler-style trailers, but it is possible.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:21 AM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I'm going to guess this rubber window gasket.
It looks like it's come loose and is falling into the camper.
I can almost even see water staining below it.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Manitoba
Thanks all.

The window gasket looks and feels very tight, with no obvious signs of leaks. Keyword there is obvious, as I know that can be a likely source.

Its a 74 Boler 1300, and I do not see and through-rivets or fasteners on the outside behind the shelf.

The far right side of the shelf looks to be delaminating, however the shelf is bone dry.

The floor beneath is in vey good condition, no overly soft spots or water marks.

The Boler was primarily garage stored until about 3 weeks ago, and there has been 3 days of rain within that timeframe.

I should mention that the ensolite is only "squishy" for about 1 cm on either side of the seam.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If the water accumulation is above the belly band, then the belly band is not likely the source. Possible sources: the window seal or the curtain bracket rivets. On my Boler 13, the window curtain brackets leaked resulting in pockets of water behind the ensolite below the rivets. Also, water leaked in through the butt joint in the window seal. Both of these types of leaks can be fixed by applying sealant on the outside of the trailer.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
On my 1974 Boler 13, the wood shelf below the rear window was very securely attached to the inside of the fiberglass shell using fiberglass tabs. No fasteners were used, so no leaks there.

EDIT: Actually, my wood shelf was just a wood block to which the metal table bracket was attached.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Mine was xoming down the TV antenna. Really hard to find.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #9

Manitoba
Thanks again everyone.

I will add that the inside seam in question is below the belly band, however I do know that doesn't mean that's where the leak originated.

I will check the other recommendations/experiences later today.
Hopefully a garden hose will expedite the investigation.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Plywood usually doesn’t delam unless it’s gotten wet.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #11

Manitoba
We used a hose around the back window for about 15 minutes, and the wooden shelf and surrounding ensolite stayed dry. About 30 minutes later the seam from the original picture was wet, so I'm thinking that the water that sits in the belly band is making its way in.

Only way to know for sure is to spray over the belly band, but below the window and see if the water makes it inside again...
Old 06-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #12

Name: Jason
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_o_wws View Post
We used a hose around the back window for about 15 minutes, and the wooden shelf and surrounding ensolite stayed dry. About 30 minutes later the seam from the original picture was wet, so I'm thinking that the water that sits in the belly band is making its way in.

Only way to know for sure is to spray over the belly band, but below the window and see if the water makes it inside again...
Yesterday I was doing some work on my Surfside and as I was banging and hammering I noticed drops of water seeping thru my fibreglass wall, just below the belly band. Couldn’t see a hole of any kind, but water seemed to just stream out of the fibreglass every time I hammered (Not the fibreglass). Turns out there was a tiny crack behind the band. Just bought the trailer last month, and the previous owner did a terrible job caulking the top of the belly band. I ripped all the caulking off today, and it was filled with trapped water. So every hammer would vibrate the trailer enough to let a little water through the crack. So you may need to check to see if your belly band is full of water. If so, it may be the source of your leak.
JasonGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Caulk the top and not the bottom of the belly band.
That way any water that gets in there has a way out other than into the trailer.
Relatively little water flows uphill.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote