Leak(s) in rear of Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Maggie and Raz

All I can say is...
I'm really horrified that you've had so much trouble with such a new Trillium.
I had a bit of a leak in the rear of my '78, again attritutable to the rusted out belly band rivet holders. I was able to stop it fairly easily- nothing like the total nightmare you guys have gone through.
What on earth can have changed in the manufacturing process to lead to such a fiasco???? Your trailer is from the same molds as mine- I just don't get it.
Thanks for the detailed pictures- I'm interested that the belly band rivet holders appear to have been installed from the inside and then lightly glassed over- am I seeing that correctly? If so, that's definitely different from the way mine were installed. And please tell me that those rivet holders are aluminum, and not the steel that's given all of us so much grief. I'd like to hear that somebody learned about "the electrolysis factor" that makes aluminum rot steel, and stopped putting those aluminum rivets in a steel holder.
Keeping my fingers crossed...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #22

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I don't know Franscsca, my 4500 is a 78' and the rivet plates were definitely installed on the inside then glassed over. I know as I got VERY up close and personal with them as I yanked them out.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I don't know Franscsca, my 4500 is a 78' and the rivet plates were definitely installed on the inside then glassed over. I know as I got VERY up close and personal with them as I yanked them out.
Hi, Scott

But...if that's true...then I'd be ...I don't know if I can say it....can it be possible that I'm (gasp) wrong about that???

I think a hole has just been torn in the fabric of my universe.

Must lie down with wet rag on head...

Francesca
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Maggie and Raz

All I can say is...
I'm really horrified that you've had so much trouble with such a new Trillium.
I had a bit of a leak in the rear of my '78, again attritutable to the rusted out belly band rivet holders. I was able to stop it fairly easily- nothing like the total nightmare you guys have gone through.
What on earth can have changed in the manufacturing process to lead to such a fiasco???? Your trailer is from the same molds as mine- I just don't get it.
Thanks for the detailed pictures- I'm interested that the belly band rivet holders appear to have been installed from the inside and then lightly glassed over- am I seeing that correctly? If so, that's definitely different from the way mine were installed. And please tell me that those rivet holders are aluminum, and not the steel that's given all of us so much grief. I'd like to hear that somebody learned about "the electrolysis factor" that makes aluminum rot steel, and stopped putting those aluminum rivets in a steel holder.
Keeping my fingers crossed...

Francesca
Yes, the rivet holds are on the inside and glassed over...at least now they are. It never occurred to me to see what they are made of until now. My trusty magnet tells me they are steel. The belly band is aluminum and the holders, they look like fender washers, appear to be steel aswell. As I saw no rust, the rivets might be aluminum with steel mandrels or stainless steel although typically stainless steel is not magnetic. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Yes, the rivet holds are on the inside and glassed over...at least now they are. It never occurred to me to see what they are made of until now. My trusty magnet tells me they are steel. The belly band is aluminum and the holders, they look like fender washers, appear to be steel aswell. As I saw no rust, the rivets might be aluminum with steel mandrels or stainless steel although typically stainless steel is not magnetic. Raz
Hi, Raz, you cute little optimist, you...

Here's me:

Or maybe I mean

Aluminum+steel= rotten, rusted steel....and yet-I'd bet your bottom dollar they're still doing it!
The Trillium Class of '10 slept through the Electrolysis Course just like the Class of '78.
I wish they'd lay off the booze on School Nights.

Wouldn't you think they could just hammer their beer cans flat and stick 'em in there?

(Sigh)

Francesca

P.S.
For everyone's Viewing Pleasure...
Below is a post from Trillium Tom himself, from May 29th 2006! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-25738-2.html
Not a word about the materials defect, but that's an interesting diagram he's posted!

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium0001.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Galvanic series shows steel relativly close to aluminum. So I would expect low activity between them. Now stainless steel and aluminum are quite a bit further apart. A larger issue there I suspect. What am I missing?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #27

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
OMG! Maggie I feel horrible for you but glad you could fix it. After dealing with a leak issue myself, mostly in the rear driver side storage compartment and on top of the bench, I am thinking I might have to go the route you did. A lot of work for someone who didn't want a project. Even more distressing for you who bought a new trailer! I have resealed one window, which unfortunately wasn't the source, and will continue one by one. If it still happens then I guess the ensolite will be coming off unless I determine where it is coming in Just an F.Y.I. I live just outside Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) and a dealer here called Arrkann Trailer used to carry the new Trillium line. I was just talking to one of the service guys there and they said they dropped the line because they had sooooo many problems with them. What's that saying??? If only you knew then what you know now???!!!
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, trillium