Leaking around fridge vents Oxygen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Leaking around fridge vents Oxygen

Our 2002 Oxygen is getting water under benches. We reglued and caulked belly band for 2017 and again this week. Still new water. We wrapped the 2 vents in plastic. Still fresh water. There is plywood under the vents that is rotten. Area is open behind frigde to bench. Maybe the 2004 version would have had a scoop deflector to divert the water past the fibreglas walls? Yeah along with more cabinets and door on bathroom and a shower. (Those we have done). We bought it new so we know no other fixes were done to it.
So a Solution Please to the Leaking, plus maybe how to divert fresh water and remove the rotted plywood under wall vents.
Thanks all
Jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Post pictures. Water can leak at one spot and end up somewhere else. Takes a while to rot plywood, so it’s been leaking a long time. Every penetration is a potential leak and then fridges can generate condensate.

Lots of pictures needed to get meaningful advice.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:44 PM   #3

Well copy n paste isnt working. I'll have to figure out what url address my pix is at. So working on it
Old 07-31-2021, 06:34 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Click on "Go advanced", below the text box, choose manage attachments, choose file, upload, and you are done. Don't use the photo icon above the text box.

Its really simple once you know the "secret".
Attached Thumbnails
14B9BA49-3D6D-4C93-9436-71FEAC5F882D.jpg  
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:26 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Leaks

Our boler had leaks at cabinet rivets and rear window. Water was at fridge area.

Also had to replace water fill line as it had a small leak that same summer while camping it is in same area water again.

The rivets seem small but it was a lot of water through them. Replaced old rivets with Stanley aluminum closed end marine units of original size.

Panes of glass one cracked removed one new pane re-sealed glass in frame, new glazing molding, other fixes, was only part of problem.

Had a new leak at hot side of shower taps this year, showed up way over at fridge area? The water lines had been replaced about 12 years ago and came loose. It can be so hard to fined a water leak.

Hope this helps
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #6

Leaks

Thank you.
Oxygen doesnt have a rivets that we have found. The water lines are a posdibility.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: Bonair
Ontario
Registry
Hello Jean,

The area below the fridge vent covers allowed water to leak onto the wood below the fridge. I removed the counter top and fridge, and replaced all the wood in the cabinet. I painted the wood with mould resistant paint so that there was a layer of protection against future rot.

I also bought some 2" wide aluminum strips from Home Depot and used 3M 4200 adhesive to create a "water dam" at the bottom of each vent opening. Since making these changes, there's been no more water entering in the fridge area.

I now use a 12V DC compressor fridge rather than a 3-way absorption fridge. I completely removed the fridge propane line and utilized the existing DC cable. I relocated the AC plug for the compression fridge to be an internal additional power outlet on the right side of the main cabinet.

See attached pictures. The water dam is the silver aluminum strip glued to the bottom of each vent opening:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0226.jpeg   IMG_0227.jpg  

IMG_0228.jpeg   IMG_0229.jpg  

grimjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, oxygen