Leaking Fantastik Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
Leaking Fantastik Fan

I have done a couple of searches and found a bunch of solutions to sealing the fan, from removing and starting with a fresh install to removing all the silicone and resealing. I tried the new silicon method, and on a driving rainstorm I still get a very small drip at corner of fan. I am wondering if I could just use the self leveling sealer that is used on conventional trailers. I looked at the vents in these trailers a dealer and found that they put this stuff on pretty heavy over the entire edges and screw holes of the fan/vent frame . Any thoughts? I would be putting it on a 13 ft Scamp.
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Bigfoot is using this product on all roof penetrations: PLAS-T-COTE Alkyd Fibered Roof Coating

George.
Attached Thumbnails
GR291886.jpg  
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
Is that something you can pick up at a rv supply store? It looks similar to the self leveling sealer, thanks for the pic.
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Yes you can use the self leveling Dicor lap sealant right over the silicone mess.
I have and I believe it will fix your problem.

Now you will end up with a bigger mess to take care of later maybe but I feel it will work.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

I think most RV store should have it, just search it.
George.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
When I got a minor leak on my cargo trailer's vent, I noticed a small chip out of one corner of the lid. It turned out that the lid had deteriorated to where it was ready to fall apart.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To do a good sealing job get self leveling sealer or Pro-Flex both are for RV sealing. First dry the area. Clean the surface do not use silcone it does not bond well with fiberglass.
go look at my website Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV.
chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,first,,,report to personel management to recieve your flogging for using sillycon.

then use one of the products mentioned above or good old plumbers putty tape.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Steve, I have had this problem before, so I'll suggest that you take the fan out and put it in right with Butyl Tape. It won't take you that much longer to do the job right. If your just looking for a quick fix I suppose you can do the leveling thing, but sooner or later I think you will want to pull it and do it right. I guess you could call it peace of mind.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #10

Name: jeff
Trailer: 25b25fb
Washington
Hi George, have you noticed small cracks in the plas-t-cote, I have a 09 bigfoot 25b25fb and was hoping to take care of my small cracks,,,should I just reapply the Plas-t-cote after a good clean...or should I place a eternabond tape over the stuff and call it good? What would you do?
Jeff
stephonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Sealing fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Steve, I have had this problem before, so I'll suggest that you take the fan out and put it in right with Butyl Tape. It won't take you that much longer to do the job right. If your just looking for a quick fix I suppose you can do the leveling thing, but sooner or later I think you will want to pull it and do it right. I guess you could call it peace of mind.
Same leak= Same solution Remove fan , Clean roof thoroughly , New fan, New Butyl Tape to seal, Install fan with new rivets ,Lexel over rivets on exterior ( I put SS washers over rivets in interior to get larger surface area) . Previous owner had applied 3 layers of silicone to stop leak
" IT STILL LEAKED" I would follow Mr. Wood's advice
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well you can either fix it properly this time, or blob more stuff on it and take even more time to fix it properly the next time... and that next time may be sooner than you think.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephonze View Post
Hi George, have you noticed small cracks in the plas-t-cote, I have a 09 bigfoot 25b25fb and was hoping to take care of my small cracks,,,should I just reapply the Plas-t-cote after a good clean...or should I place a eternabond tape over the stuff and call it good? What would you do?
Jeff
Sorry for the late reply, we just came back from the long West US trip. I think you got good answers from Steve and Donna. On my Bigfoot I have no cracks nor leaks but during the 4 years of its life the trailer was mostly store under a roof and recently under good cover. Before this trip I changed Fantastic single pane lids to double pane ones and didn't noticed any plas-t-cote cracks.
Good luck.
George.