Leaking fresh water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 02:36 PM   #1

Name: Iain
Trailer: Trillium outback
California
Leaking fresh water tank

I’m fairly certain that the water tank in my outback( a trillium clone) is leaking from the outlet that drains the tank. It’s located under the road side rear bench seat and is accessible through a cut out in the fibreglass. Predictably, the access is incredibly tight. The tank measures 17 x 14x 12, while the cutout measures 17 x 14. Thé tank is empty now, and I’m surprised that there is no restraint or strapping because I can move it slightly. But not enough to get a look at the fittings, of course. I have a suspicion that this problem is not unprecedented. I wonder if anyone has a solution or advice to share…
Dyquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
How old is your trailer?
Old 05-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #3

California
Not old

2017. The plastic doesn’t look or feel degraded
Old 05-25-2022, 09:11 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyquen View Post
I’m fairly certain that the water tank in my outback( a trillium clone) is leaking from the outlet that drains the tank. It’s located under the road side rear bench seat and is accessible through a cut out in the fibreglass. Predictably, the access is incredibly tight. The tank measures 17 x 14x 12, while the cutout measures 17 x 14. Thé tank is empty now, and I’m surprised that there is no restraint or strapping because I can move it slightly. But not enough to get a look at the fittings, of course. I have a suspicion that this problem is not unprecedented. I wonder if anyone has a solution or advice to share…
Are you finding water inside or outside? Have you checked the drain plug where you drain the tank? That tank is not that old and should not be cracked. If you are finding water inside could there be a window leak, etc.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:44 PM   #5

California
Good idea, but there’s been no rain to account for an outside leak. My suspicion was confirmed when I moved the trailer to its storage location and found that water had migrated to the storage under the dinette seat. There’s an indentation that runs around the bottom of the fibreglass shell. I’m guessing that what water remains in the tank is leaking from the drain outlet to that area. I’ve since discovered that if I take out the cutlery drawer I can reach in and take pictures of areas that are inaccessible to me. Three cheers to the inventor of the self stick! But it looks like I might need to take out the fridge to get hands on the outlet fitting…