Leaking small front Scamp bathroom Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
Leaking small front Scamp bathroom Window

I have been busy getting our new to us Scamp camp ready to camp. When it rained hard the other day, I put a tarp on the main part of the roof, but the front 1/8 of the trailer was exposed. When I went inside, I noticed water pooled up on the inside of track of the front bathroom, crank out window. I took quite a few photos of where I think the leak is happening. It appears water is going underneath or through the upper corners of the rubber seal (lockstrip is perhaps what it is called) on the top of the window. There was still moisture on those corners after a couple of days. When I cranked up the window and looked underneath the flap on the strip, you can see daylight through-into the main window. I was thinking about putting some sealant on the corners, but I would have to be very careful not to get it on the pop out window from below the seal, otherwise it would not open again. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Perhaps someone else has had the same problem? Is this actually called a lockstrip and do I have to replace it, or should i just try some sealer? Keep in mind there have been and are a heap of other problems with the Scamp, quick short term solutions are preferred to lots of in depth labor. The only thing I have done so far, was poke weed whacker cord through the weep holes, but no significant debris came out.

Thanks, Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0842.jpg   IMG_0844.jpg  

IMG_0848.jpg   IMG_0850.jpg  

HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'd be getting some wide weatherproof tape to cover the opening as a short term fix.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Had the same problem until I sealed all around the edges, outside, with silicone calk. But if that rubber baffle is broken, Maybe a whole new window is in order.

WC
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Mine does the same thing, especially if we are towing in the rain. It's the bathroom, so I don't worry about it. Having said that, it does bother my wife. Maybe we will do something about it in the spring.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
Though it is the bathroom, my scamp is older, so there is no shower. If water leaks it goes down to the laminate floor, etc., not a shower drain. I guess you would call mine more of a toilet and small sink room, not a bathroom due to it being devoid of anything allowing you to take a bath eh?
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd clean up that area really well and seal it back together with black windshield caulk. Don't you dare use silicone!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #7

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
scamp window

my window leaked as well. for a temp fix i used black electrical tape then i bought a replacement crank and new weather stripping. now it is weather tight.
there is an rv parts supplier in california who has the parts.
jon of sequim
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Front windows in fgrvs eventually leak, but there are things you can do. First keep the rubber seals in good condition. Use the gravel shield to prevent solar degradation. Apply dielectric grease generously to the rubber twice a year to repel water and keep the rubber supple. I even added a 2 foot piece of EZRV gutter above the window keep rain water away. Still towing in the rain makes a 60 mph wind driven storm that window seals find nearly impossible to resist.

If your rig is older and seals have been neglected new rubber is probably the best route to take.

Stay dry, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp