Leaking water inlet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2003, 06:53 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Leaking water inlet

My "city water" inlet seems to have developed a leak in the form of a steady drip that amounts to 16 ounces per hour. There does not seem to be any leaking inside the trailer. Any one else had this problem?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:49 AM   #2

Robert ... the check-valve in your fresh water inlet has developed a leak.

Pry off the wire screen, and you'll see a little plastic rod that works the check valve ... push it in and out a couple of times (when the water system isn't under pressure ... i.e. don't run the water pump). Water will flow out and hopefully dislodge the debri.

Occasionally a piece of lime or something gets lodged in the check valve and causes an occasional drip.

If that doesn't work, try swabbing with a q-tip and some vasoline (carefully).

If that doesn't work, if you are under warranty, Casita may pay to have the city water asssembly replaced (although the problem is usually caused by debri when you (not Casita) hooked up your hose. Trouble is, whomever you have replace the city water assembly may/may not cause a fitting to leak inside the rig ... a bigger problem that you have now!)

Do you use a water filter to catch sediment? You should. We always do ... even though we only use bottled water for drinking, coffee, etc on the road, and only use the city water (when available) for showers, dish washing, etc.

Another thought ... consider the drip an "automatic dog waterer" ... place the puppy's water bowl under the city water inlet. (A lazy man's way to fill up the bowl) Have two puppy water bowls ... one over by your camp chairs and firepit ... and one being "refilled" automatically. :)

Old 04-26-2003, 07:54 AM   #3

And, occasionally, "time" and "use" will heal the drip on it's own ... so if my advice doesn't help, call Jay at Casita, tell him about it, and tell him you're going to watch it for a couple of trips before getting it fixed.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:19 AM   #4

Thanks, Charles

I'll try your suggestions for remedying my drip. It's raining now or I'd go right out and try them.

Great idea for dog watering! In a worst case scenario I will probably be able to swing by Rice when I am out west later in the spring.

I'll let you know what happens.

BTW, where did you get your water filter and does it attach directly to the inlet?

Old 04-26-2003, 08:29 AM   #5

I buy the cheapest sediment filter I can find ... because all I'm interested in is catching sediment.

Walmart sells a cheap RV water filter, so does Camping World (cheap being about $30).

You can drop a whole lot more if you want to improve taste, eliminate bacteria, etc, etc. etc.

Trouble is, improperly stored filters can cause bacteria or bad taste.

You are supposed to keep filters, cool and immerged in water (in a refrigerator, for example) to keep the filter from going bad beween camping trips.

We did that long ago, for several camping seasons, then just decided to use gallon jugged water ... and filter for sediment.

The filters usually come with a short piece of hose, which you place in line with your water hose.

I usually, starting at the campground spigot, place a water pressure regulator on the spigot, a short piece of hose, the filter, then the long while water hose attached to the trailer as usual. (Sometimes use a right-angle adapter at the city water inlet, which reduced strain on city water inlet, but sometimes just screw in the hose).

Old 04-26-2003, 08:32 AM   #6

Wow! Just checked Camping World to post the filter I'm using ... they're having a special (4/26), offering a two-pack for the price of one at US$29

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...79&skunum=23612

Website says the price is only good for a limited time! Also doesn't appear to come with the necessary short piece of hose ... which you could make by cutting off a section of your currect water hose and adding a couple of fittings.

I bought one of these filters from Camping World a year ago or so, when they were offering a "free" 25 foot fresh water hose with a filter purchase.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:43 AM   #7

Again ... I want to caution folks about using water filters.

If you use your rig's fresh water tank or city water inlet as sources of drinking water or to make coffee or tea, then you have to proper store the water filter between uses.

Just tossing the wet damp filter into the back of your tow vehicle isn't enough ... and the wet, damp filter will breed bacteria and become a source of bad taste.

Proper storage methods vary with filters ... but most require keeping the filters submerged and cool between uses.

Now, if you are just using the filters to trap sediment ... then you don't have to be as careful with your handling of your filter between uses.

But if you are going to consume the water ... then please read the directions that came with the particular filter.

Old 04-26-2003, 06:18 PM   #8

Dead spang on...

Charles,

The rain let up enough this afternoon for me to go out and fiddle with my leak. I pried out the screen washer on my "city water" inlet (very easy to do) and diddled with the little post inside. Then I added water to my virtually empty water tank, turned on the pump, and waited for the leak. Nothing yet. I am a suspicious and "show-me" sort of person. so I shall wait a while for the final verdict. But it would appear at this time that you were absolutely spang on dead right about the diagnosis.

Murphy say he happy, too. He say he don't want no steenkin' drippings. He want bottled water, too.

Thanks.

Old 04-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #9

I had a problem with the same type of drip I think. Mine was caused by my over tightening the hose to trailer connection and scarring the rubber gasket. I got several new ones at the local Home Depot, for about $1.50 for 20, and have learned tighter is not always better.
And on the topic of Dripping and filters, I was in Dripping Springs at Tank Town, a rain collection parts supplier, he has some filters that are great, Clear plastic body(cost$35) but the filter itself is only $10 each time you change it, makes it affordable to change the filter every trip. The design reminds me of the old glass bowls on lawnmower carbs but huge.

Old 04-27-2003, 08:50 AM   #10

Robert ... let's hope it worked!

Charlie .. can you post some pictures of the filter?

Old 04-27-2003, 08:56 AM   #11

Charlie-

Mine leaked when the hose wasn't connected to the inlet, too. I should be in Dripping Spgs sometime in July, so I just may stop in and see those filters. But for now I'm trying to STOP buying non essential stuff for Otra to save weight. According to the scales she weighs 3190 on the road and that is enuf!

And this just in-- last night I set a container under my inlet to catch any leaks. This morning the container is completely dry. I'll keep my eyes on it, but I think my leak may have been cured!

Old 04-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #12

So much for the automatic dog waterer.

That could have been billed as a feature :)

I ashamed (not really) that unless we're carrying water from our home in our "fresh" water tank, we usually used bottled (gallon jugs of Spring Water from supermarket or Walmart) for all our consuming needs as well as for Maggie Mutt's drinking water (so Murphy's not the only spoiled pet!).