leaking window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
I have a 72 compact jr and one of the windows is leaking into the camper. the current seal, I think it is original, looks to be some sort of tape or putty. all of the windows are the same and I was wondering if someone knows what this stuff is and where I can get it? the window looks easy to take out and replace and I think the wood on the inside is ok. so it should be an easy job I hope.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Heath,

The old trailers used putty tape to seal windows. Now the thing to use is called butyl tape. RV centers sell it.

Use the 'Search' function of this web site... enter "butyl tape".

In my experience when reinstalling and using the tape it is better to use two layers of the tape so there is plenty to ooze out.
Also,make sure the tape is warm so it is more pliable. I usually stick it on a plate and put it in the windshield of my truck so the sun
can warm it. Careful, though. If you get it too tacky sometimes it will stick to the paper that seperates the layers on the roll.
Also, pulling it off the roll quickly once you get it going helps.

Good Luck, Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
I have a 72 compact jr and one of the windows is leaking into the camper. the current seal, I think it is original, looks to be some sort of tape or putty. all of the windows are the same and I was wondering if someone knows what this stuff is and where I can get it? the window looks easy to take out and replace and I think the wood on the inside is ok. so it should be an easy job I hope.
The name of the seal is butal tape and it can be found at many hardware stores or RV Centers. The job is easy, my wife and I put all our windows in about 1 hr. I would change the wood since the windows are out.
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
YUP-- ya gotta pull it, clean off the old putty stuff.... Then, get some butyl tape, I use Kool Seal, most reputable RV dealers have it. Put a band slightly narrower than the window flange on the body and stuff the window back in. You may have to go to the size larger screws to get a good grip on the inner wood trim (i.e. #8 instead of a #6, or #10 instead of an #8, tho) Hopefully your wood is ok. And anticipate doing the rest of the windows soon, also. It's really not too bad of a task, just takes two people. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Although the windows of my Compact Jr weren't leaking when I got it (it wasn't raining right then), it was clear they had leaked before and badly. The wood frames of the two side windows were rotted and needed replacing.

When I pulled off the streetside window wood frame -- it was so rotted I didn't need to undo but a few of the screws -- I discovered that the screws across the top just barely had a bit of fiberglass to screw into. The problem was that when the trailer was built the cutouts for the windows were a little oversized (makes it easier to put in the windows) but the installer, instead of centering the window in the opening, let the window rest on the bottom of the cutout. Thus the screws along the top are right at the edge of the opening (some missed the fiberglass altogether).

The problem is that there is no room for the butyl putty to work its magic, because there isn't enough overlap between the aluminum frame at the top of the window and the fiberglass above the opening.

So I am repositioning the windows UP, centered in the opening, which gives me enough overlap of the aluminum window frame and the fiberglass to lay down a good butyl seal.

BTW, most people are using "butyl putty tape" which is butyl putty already shaped in a convenient form, typically 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick.

"Butyl tape" is different in that it is not putty at all but instead is double-sided tape made of butyl rubber. It has the advantage that it is a good flexible adhesive, but it cannot fill in crevices, dimples, and other irregularities like the putty can.

One source for butyl putty tape is http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/butyl...e-13-0880x.html

Now that you know what you are looking for you can find many other suppliers, perhaps even a glass shop locally. The discounted internet pricing may look attractive, but the tape is heavy and shipping adds up quickly -- the final price may not be much different than your local glass shop's price.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Butyl is cheap... something like <$5 for a 30 foot roll. It's available at 99% of all RV parts places.... If there's an RV dealer in your area, check their parts supply.

RV Tech Tips - Butyl
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #7

to all for the fast response to my water problame. My wife Candy and I are going to take the camper out for the first trip next weekend. I think I have her talked into helping me do the windows at the campground. I have a truck for the tv and should be able to bring all the tools I need. Looks likre gust some nut drivers, a few scapers, and some hand tools. It should be a good way to pass the time on a shackdown run. I have the fridge pluged into electric now and to my shock it seams to woork well.

I do have one more thing I want to work on. The stone gaurd on the front looks like someone just goobd on alot of silicon to stop a leak. Should I use the same stuff to remount hardware for this or try silicon and do a better job than the prev. owner? also the stone gaurd is made of heavy plywood and I would like to replace this. What would be the best material to use to replace this?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have seen eternabond used by people who dont want to pull the window. You seal around the exterior with it.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #9

ok everyone, thanks for all the good advice, I used the butyle tape and it was easy to work woth and no more leaking window. I did find that it was bet to replace the wood around the window. I went to lowes and got sopme nice red oak to use. Now my wife likes it so well I have to do the rest of the windows.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
to all for the fast response to my water problame. My wife Candy and I are going to take the camper out for the first trip next weekend. I think I have her talked into helping me do the windows at the campground.
Be careful, some campgrounds won't allow you to work on your rig, especially private ones. I would check first before making any big repair plans.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #11

Roger, thanks for the heads up. I never thought of that but I can see why they would not want people working on campers while there. Didn't get to go anywa. We had a round ofd some bad t-storms roll through Ohio this weekend and didn't want to chance getting blown away. We instead spent the weekend loading thew camper for the first time for the big trip from Ohio, to Wisconsin for the 4th of July. I can't belive how mutch stuff we can fit i n this little 13 foot compact jr. all loaded up and still have room for more and we are traveling with an extra tent for the kids. I will have to report back on how the maiden voyage fairs when we return.