Leaking windows - just removed and resealed?!? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #1

Name: Gerard
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Leaking windows - just removed and resealed?!?

Hi All

I just removed all 6 windows from my 78 1700 Boler. I cleaned the hull and the windo aluminum frames up really well and re butyl'ed. Reinstalled and no leaks... from the install points.

It does seem that the windows themselves are leaking / weeping a bit and with the recent pouring rain in calgary, I have enough water coming in that I am not prepared to proceed with Reflectix until this is resolved.

Here are the list of windows leaking:

1. Curbside Jalousie awning window beside kitchen. Its dripping slowly from a bottom mounting screw in the sandwich frame. The inside sill is also wet so I believe the water is collecting in the sill ans seeping down between the window and retainer and out that screw head. Any ideas? The outside rubber that surrounds the non-opening window seems to be missing 1/2" section at the bottom which a past owner has filled with silicone. This seems like the logical leak point but I have not yet seen a DIY fix for this moulding which looks like it would remove the pane. ?

2. The small riveted window in the old bathroom is leaking at the bottom as the remaining ensolite is soaked. This window was not removed (riveted in).

3. Back corner sliding window. Same thing. I cant imagine its the new butyl seal so I think its a weather strip. Any thoughts? I notice that these sliders all have the "H" sticker upside down after install. They were like this when I removed them and I reinstalled them the same way. This was done as the vents on the exterior of the window should be facing down (?) which results in the "H" being upside down. Is this correct? Can someone look for me on their trailer as to where the vents are located ?

I know this is going to be an exploratory repair but looking for others experience in fixing these.

Thanks
gvanginkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A few pics might help us help you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
You might consider EZ rv gutters. They will keep 95% of the water off the windows. Fifty dollars should take care of the whole rig. I used it with good success on my back sliding window to allow opening in everything but a heavy downpour. A nicely made product.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Always Shopping
British Columbia
EZE RV & Marine Gutters

Yes i just looked these guys up and spoke to the person there. Sounds like a great product. Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters - Comes in both black, white and off-white.
cityslicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Not sure if this will help or not, but Ian G has a video of completely taking apart the Jalousies of a 13' and might yield some info on where yours are leaking.

http://www.proud-canadian.com/rebuil...ousie-windows/
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows