Leaky Outback Trillium - advice? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Leaky Outback Trillium - advice?

Hi folks. We have a 2010 Outback Trillium 13’ trailer, bought from original owner in 2016. Have really enjoyed it (big trip to the east coast, local camping, etc), but we have had leak issues, so am posting (my first) for your suggestions/advice. It appears as though our large rear window leaks (we see a trickle of water from the corner of the window after it rains and it wets the cushions and our bedding), and the side windows (sliding windows) leak periodically. We also get leaks near the door, probably because it is a bit crooked and the rubber gasket isn't big enough to cover the gaps or is worn. This may have created a soft spot in the floor right at the entrance. We’ll definitely need to deal with the floor, but for now I want stop the water getting in. Finally, sometimes after driving in a heavy rain, we get a significant amount of water sloshing under the floor (can see it in the water heater area in the back and under the water tank in the front). Thought it might be leaking in through the water heater opening but maybe it is related to the door leak. Got to do more detective work on that.

First, I am planning to re-butyl tape the windows. I have some 3/4” wide by 1/8” thick butyl tape. Any sage advice on removing the windows, cleaning the adhesive off the fibreglass and re-installing the windows? This will be my first time (newby!). Questions on door straightening and floor repair (very scary!) will come later… Thanks!
Derek A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Regarding sealing the window frames with butyl tape, more is better. Why? Because often the window frame is perfectly flat but the FG body is not. I generally apply 2 layers of butyl tape to the back of the window frame before pushing the window frame back onto the FG body.

EDIT: You will find that the butyl may continue oozing out from behind the window frame for weeks/months/years. Just keep trimming it off with a plastic blade.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum!!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
You probably have a different brand of window but this might help.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eal-47832.html

Be aware that because the Trillium walls are not exactly vertical, windows with weep holes may allow water into the channel at the bottom of the window. Too much and the channel over flows.

When I was chasing leaks I found duct tape and a hose very usefull. Good luck.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Raz, how to you use duct tape when chasing window leaks? We are still chasing some window leaks on our Boler 17 after removing and re-sealing all of the windows. All of the windows are clamp ring style. Most are sliders with weep holes.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Welcome, Derek! We, too, have a Trillium Outback, older than yours (2004). Our driver's side window in the dinette area, which for us, is where our heads go, actually popped out on us! It was totally our fault, as we have a habit of resting/leaning against it somewhat when watching movies on the computer....and it is, after all, the emergency escape window. Once we tried to re-insert it, it leaked. So out came the butyl tape...

It wasn't a difficult job at all. But it will go definitely ALOT easier with 2 people. One outside, one inside. Trying to do it solo might make an amusing YouTube video but would NOT be good for either your mental sanity or your desire to attempt the remaining windows!!!!

As to the comment regarding window weeping holes, on these windows it is very important to keep the weepholes clear. I do it at the start of each season and sometimes, if I remember, before we put 'er away for the winter. I use a 6-8" piece of uncoated wire and feed it in thru the weep hole. You might be amazed at how much dust and debris is removed! Those little weep hole caps that (should ) cover the holes help alot and can be purchased very cheaply from Team Trillium in Calgary.

We also ordered a new gasket for our door from him (Joe Thoen), as ours split from repeatedly being stepped. That, too, was very reasonable.

It simply slides over the fibreglass edge.

Now, unless your window at the back is totally different than ours, which is solid and doesn't open, these same principles apply there, too. Does your back window open? If so, I am extremely jealous!

Good luck! It's a great little trailer and better still once you fix those leaks!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #6

Ontario
Thank you Raz! What an awesome resource. Will be a big help when I tackle this tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
You probably have a different brand of window but this might help.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eal-47832.html

Be aware that because the Trillium walls are not exactly vertical, windows with weep holes may allow water into the channel at the bottom of the window. Too much and the channel over flows.

When I was chasing leaks I found duct tape and a hose very usefull. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Raz, how to you use duct tape when chasing window leaks? We are still chasing some window leaks on our Boler 17 after removing and re-sealing all of the windows. All of the windows are clamp ring style. Most are sliders with weep holes.
I sealed the windows with duct tape and put the hose to the trailer. It was still leaking. The leak turned out to be a poorly sealed belly band. I had to remove the wall covering and fiberglass the seam from the inside. Poor build quality from Trilliumrv. On an older Trillium the same type of leak can occur from the plates rusting.

Another problem I had was the rear window which is half jalousie and half egress. If the trailer is not level, water runs down the vertical channel between the two halves and flows in (because the windows are not vertical) and to the egress side which has no weep holes. The channel fills and overflows. I sealed the path with caulk.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks for tips and welcome John.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #9

Ontario
Thanks Theresa! Great to hear from a fellow Outback owner. Original owners of our trailer bought it when they lived in Calgary, then brought it with them when they moved east. Thanks for the tips about the weep holes. That may be the issue with our side windows, as they are sliders. The rear window is a large solid window with the clamp ring as you described. Will tackle that tomorrow with all the help I’ve received on this forum. Thanks!

Tags
trillium