Leaky Refrigerator Vent - Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
dch

Name: Brian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Minnesota
Leaky Refrigerator Vent - Scamp

Hi All,

Just got home from a wonderful trip to Glacier National Park. On the way home, we drove through unending rain for two days. At times the rain was very light, other times it was pouring rain and very windy. When passed by semi-trucks, a lot of water spray was kicked up.

At the end of the second day of driving, we noticed a lot of had rain come in through the refrigerator vent. The rugs in the Scamp were really wet. We had purchased a second vent cover earlier this year, and had screwed clear plexiglass over the vent openings. We used that modified vent cover on our way home, but the modified cover didn't solve the problem, and we still had water coming in. The plexiglass doesn't completely cover the entire vent cover, so there is still the issue of sealing off the vent cover where it mounts to the Scamp.

Any advice on how to avoid this in the future? Sometimes you just can't help driving in the rain!

Thanks,
Diane
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I dont think there is a really good solution. See the "Refrigerator vent leak" paragraph of this post. The furnace vent also can let in rain water in my experience. In fact, any vent that has to allow air to move will also let in water in its in a tornado, and after all, if you are driving 65 MPH into a 21 MPH head wind thats the equivalent of a EF1 tornado.

I've tried a few things, the latest is a metal strip at the bottom with butyl tape sandwiched in between it and the vent frame. I think it helped a little but the problem was so hit and miss to start with I can't be sure it made much of a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190909_165845483[1].jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, scamp