Leaky rivet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: Cori
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13'
Texas
Leaky rivet

I have a 13 ft Scamp w bathroom. One of the rivets that holds my coat closet is loose and drips water when it rains. But I see no rivet on the outside roof right above it. Where is the water getting in?
Cori A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:48 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
It looks like the AC is closest to the closet so it may be a leak there. Water can travel quite a ways. Is the rivet up at the top or on the side
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:17 PM   #3

Texas
Leaky Rivet

Thank you for your reply. The leaky rivet is close to the door of the Scamp. I guess I should be grateful for all the rain we had these last few days. I never knew there was a leak. I also “discovered “” a new one this morning from my Fantastic Fan. Is the best way to fix these to reseal both the AC and the fan w white silicone caulk sealer?
Old 01-23-2023, 07:18 PM   #4

Texas
The river is on the curve of the closet going up to my ceiling.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:15 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Most folks here will tell you to stay away from silicone caulking as the oils from it can make it very hard to get the new stuff to stick to the old. I would recommend a good quality rv caulk from a rv shop. I am not sure how Scamp installs their AC but on our Casita there was a thick foam gasket between the AC and the roof. Have you checked the bolts that hold the AC unit in place, again on mine, I think I had to remove the inside housing to get to them. If they have rattled loose, it may just need a bit of snugging down.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:35 PM   #6

Texas
Leaky rivet

Thank you, Dudley, for taking the time to help me solve this problem. I appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori A. View Post
I have a 13 ft Scamp w bathroom. One of the rivets that holds my coat closet is loose and drips water when it rains. But I see no rivet on the outside roof right above it. Where is the water getting in?
On the earlier Standard front bath with the wide bed...

The two rivets on the front of the closet tend to break or loosen, same is true of two of the rivets on the bulkhead.
Replace them with stainless bolts with snap caps outside and nylocks on the inside.
The rest of the trailer should be fine.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:19 AM   #8

Texas
Oh-oh. I’m out of my league repairing this. I live in Houston. Would it be better for me to local Rv repair place or go to the Casita location 4 hours north?
Old 01-26-2023, 10:21 AM   #9

Texas
Thank you Floyd. What and where is the bulkhead?
Old 01-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thank you Floyd. What and where is the bulkhead?
The wall separating the front bathroom from the main cabin.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:48 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. The leaky rivet is close to the door of the Scamp. I guess I should be grateful for all the rain we had these last few days. I never knew there was a leak. I also “discovered “” a new one this morning from my Fantastic Fan. Is the best way to fix these to reseal both the AC and the fan w white silicone caulk sealer?
The proper way for the A/C is to remove it and replace the gasket on it. It could be that the mounting bolts are just loose though. We had one that got loose a little and flooded our RV. We were at a friends house and he showed us how to tighten the bolts and the leak stopped instantly. We had another one that dripped and we were wiser and tightened the bolts and the leak quit. Don't over tighten the bolts though.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote