led bulbs for UHaul tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
led bulbs for UHaul tail lights

I think it was around the first of Feb that there was a post saying that #108 and #98 led's could be used, and that no mod was needed that they just plug right in. I searched 10 pages in the search function and could not find what I need. I want to replace existing tail light bulbs with led's. Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I ordered our taillight replacements through superbrightleds.com. I put in the 1157 LED towers with the bayonet base and they work really well. They are expensive, however, at about $25 per bulb. I had experimented with cheap LED bulbs first (about $12 each) and they weren't bright enough, so I moved up to the more expensive bulbs. On their website, look under LED Car Bulbs/tail and turn signals.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I agree with Kevin A. superbrightleds.com is a little expensive, but good products. I have changed out all the bulbs in my Scamp, then changed to LED on all the low voltage lighting around the house(cool color changing leds!)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

Colorado
Registry
Kevin & Dennis, do the new ones just plug right in? Don't want to get into the having to rewire thing.
Patti
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Search Results For "1157" | LED Products | Super Bright LEDs

There are several flavors. Should just push and twist in. The spider shaped one is interesting.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Yes, they insert just like a regular older-style bulb. There are two little knobs at different heights on the bayonet base. Match up the notches on the receptacle, push in, and twist.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Thanks all, Yeah!!
I'll get some ordered and be ready to put them in.
TOM, which ones do I need to get from the link you sent?
Patti
Old 04-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Thanks all, Yeah!!
I'll get some ordered and be ready to put them in.
TOM, which ones do I need to get from the link you sent?
Patti
I'll let the other guys answer that, as I'm still using the Thomas Edison ones that came with it. If I remember correctly, the base is pointing forward, so I'd think that you want the ones that point the light straight back (as opposed to in a complete circle perpendicular to the axis of the bulb. Maybe the other guys can comment.

Interesting study here: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/mo...omparison.html
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

We have the tower LEDs that have bulbs around the tower and on top. Light goes all directions inside the reflector housing. I know they recommend that you get the color to match your lens, so I ordered the red light output for the red piece of the lens and the amber color for the top section. Some people just use the white/blue for everything. Number 5 on their inventory list has 45 LEDs while number 6 has 18. More LEDs the brighter the light. Don't get any of those marked for CAN-bus systems... They won't work in your system.

Tags
lights, uhaul