leg pin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have these on the legs.. they will automatacally snap in after I put them down as to unhook the trailer.... one doesnt go in very well...
do I need to hook back up to the pickup before trying to adjust it? The pin isnt lined up with the hole?

Name:   leg_pin.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  34.8 KB
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have never seen that arrangement before.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You will not be able to get the pin all the way through with weight on the leg.

To get the pin all the way through you need to adjust the movable part of the leg to where you want it to be then insert the pin then lower the leg the rest of the way down to raise the trailer off the vehicle hitch.

It is anybodys guess what effect your misaligned pin could have on the leg or pin if it is not installed all the way through.

I wonder what would happen if the wind should blow and rock the trailer, something should snap or the pin would come out. Would your trailer stand upright on 2 tires and 1 leg?

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #4

ok. i will have to hook it back up to the truck in order to adjust. tomorrow. i did put a hydraulic jack on that side for ( just in case) I am sure the leg would stay up.. but I didn't want to take a chance ..
thanks...
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Christi,

I have looking for something similar to put on the front legs of my Scamp. Where did you get them?

All the ones I have found are too large. It seems the legs used by Scamp are an odd size.

Thanks.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #6

Gail... the person that had the trailer before me put them on.. I think they were purchased thru a reg rv dealership? Not sure...
You should be able to get them at an RV dealer or they can order them for you...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Here is a link to where we purchased our jack stands.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...Group?Ntt=jacks
Ken & Sherry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #8

Registry
where do you get those pins?

I have always been a bit wary of the compression dubiculous on mine, and I leave a tent peg in the holes to provide some security if it drops.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gina, The jack with the special pin is on a 5r and there are 2 of them, 1 on each side of the 5r and they hold the front of the 5r up when not on a tug.

The picture at www.jcw.com are stabelizer jacks and not the same as they do not hold anything up, just keep the egg from rocking (The wheels R holding the egg up) and you will have a tongue jack to hold the front up.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I have always been a bit wary of the compression dubiculous on mine, and I leave a tent peg in the holes to provide some security if it drops.
The jack method used on the stock stands is notorious for failure as the notches get worn and that's likely why they don't use that method on automobile jacks any more.

For those who may not know it, the correct way to use them safely and make them last is to get the egg slightly nose down, drop the stands and lock them, then raise the nose to level. Reverse the procedure when leaving. By not actually using the jack under weight, the lip and notch edges don't wear out.

Gina, if your tent peg is aluminum, it might bend and be hard to remove, but if it's steel, it should be good. I use my large Phillips screwdriver as the lever for snugging the fit on setup.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #11

Registry
I have always used the nose down method, but it still results on pressure on the jacks.

The pegs are those monster nail ones used for big canvas house tents. I haven't examined the alloy closely, but it isn't aluminum. too heavy, too sturdy.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
What Christi is using is a set of spring loaded snap pins and they are easy to use. I think we bought the 1/2" size for our 1997 Scamp 5th wheel legs from a local RV parts dealer. Here is the link for Camping World's set:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...es/skunum=19896

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #13

Yeppers..thats what I have! Got the one side fixed also today.. had to of course hook it back up to the truck....