Leveling a Scamp When Camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
+1 on Bob's entrenching tool. Absolutely indispensable around camp but for the life of me I never considered using it to "landscape" a trailer level. Thanks!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The Andersen 3604 is intriguing but I'll wait for some positive testimonials before committing. Any problem with the smaller securing wedge working loose, Jon? I know you singlehand so I'm also wondering if arriving at the needed elevation is a series of cut and try repetitions without an assistant to check level. I currently use the BAL for athwartship leveling but would gladly leave it behind for something lighter, smaller, and equally effective with less work.

jack
I have not had any problems with the smaller wedge. (I still use chocks for the other side & other wheel. As to getting the trailer level in one shot, I have a Hopkins lighted level installed on the front of the trailer & in most cases I can see the bubble "light" while leveling. The problems with the lighted level is I forget to turn it off & need to replace the batteries that cost more than the level! With practice I've also gotten pretty good at watching the belly band to see when the trailer is level. I usually have the trailer level in 1 - 2 "hop out & looks".

The bad with the Anderson leveler is on soft sand it will slowly sink a bit - it presents less surface area than a 2"X6". With the BAL leveler you would just get out the wrench and adjust it; with the Anderson, you have to hook up to move the trailer.

Overall, I love the Anderson. I still carry a couple of 2"X6"s and a set of leg go blocks, but haven't used them.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
A thoughtful appraisal is better than a testimonial! Thanks. The remote reading of the belly band attitude and illuminated level is no doubt the brainchild of necessity and very clever. Hop out and look does get old in a hurry.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
BAL, Anderson, Lynx or wood.

They all have good/bad attributes.
Wood, if short pieces, are OK. But, I broke a dump valve when I went forward and a piece flipped up and jammed.
Lynx are good, BUT, in sand, soft ground, or after a rain, you may have to jack, or reconnect to correct.
The BAL does the job when weather, soft sand, or sagging, or anything changes. But, it's heavy, awkward, and a pain to store. It is a security lock, of sorts.
That being said, I just bought the Anderson to try out this year.
If it was easy, we'd all be doing the same thing.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Thought I'd throw out another reason for carrying some blocks along even if using a Bal etc.- at least for those like me that do quick overnights here and there. I travel alone a lot and don't like to disconnect in such situations, especially if it's "unknown" territory. For front-to-back leveling in settings like that, I've often used blocks under the tug's wheels.

Below pics are a good example- I got to this remote quickstop in the middle of the night in pitch darkness. Found a roughly level spot, ran up on the blocks and was all set...even to "go" if any reason arose to do so.

My set of Lynxes was just enough to do front-to-back as well as side-to-side on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Blu Lake, kids, trailer misc 202.jpg   Blu Lake, kids, trailer misc 203.jpg  

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #26

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
BAL Vote +

Hello All,

For me the Bal leveler is a must. Here is my
Trillium 1300 in an otherwise unusable spot
leveled with the BAL and almost full extension