License plate holder for a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
NJ
License plate holder for a Scamp

Hey all,

The license plate holder on my Scamp has broken. I looked on the Scamp parts website and couldn't find anything. I also saw some on Amazon, but not sure if they are the correct size.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement that will definitely fit?
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Any Auto Parts store should have one.
Best if it hold the plate at 4 points to prevent vibration.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
License plate holder

Glad you asked about that. I’m putting a new license plate on a new Scamp and the tabs to attach the plate look like they’d break off pretty easily. They’re attached to the bottom of a taillight. How do you put an attachment with 4 connection points for a license plate? How do you remove the cover of a rear tail light to put the bracket on without breaking the red plastic light cover?
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #4

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
license plate holder/left tail light cover

We were in Ohio when our license plate holder broke. We phoned Scamp and ordered a new one, and then taped it up and headed over to Backus to pick it up. When we got there I realized that it was part of the tail light unit and needed to be wired in. We went back on Monday morning and they replaced it and only charged us for 15 minutes of time. I think the tail light unit was under $20.00. Karin
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
You can either drill 4 holes in the fiberglass shell and use sheet metal screws, with a dab of silicone calk,
Or, mount the plate holder bracket to the rear bumper by drilling holes as needed.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
MJo

Massachusetts
license plate holder

Hey Karin !!!!! I had to cancel coming to the rally, problems with the covid shots, so I postponed until June. How is it going? What a beautiful weekend !!!! thanks for your license plate reply. I don’t think my Scamp has a rear bumper so I’ll look and see. Thanks again, hope to see you one of these days. MJo
Old 05-15-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Lost mine.

My license plate holder was precarious for years. After coming home from storage, getting my new tabs to apply, no plate. I called my storage place on the outside chance it was there, nothing. I am sure the plate is nestled in some ditch waiting for the adopt a highway crew. Good news is a new plate was less than twenty dollars. Bought a holder at auto zone, four new screws in the Scamp. Deluxe version with plexi cover!
John
Old 05-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Glad you asked about that. I’m putting a new license plate on a new Scamp and the tabs to attach the plate look like they’d break off pretty easily. They’re attached to the bottom of a taillight. How do you put an attachment with 4 connection points for a license plate? How do you remove the cover of a rear tail light to put the bracket on without breaking the red plastic light cover?
As far as I've seen, all the license plate holders that attach to the taillight housing have only two attachment points. Use nylock nuts to ensure they don't vibrate loose.

The red cover just pops off. Use a knife to gently work around the edges to separate it from the housing. The older it is, the more brittle and easier to break. Good news is if you have the rectangular style, the cover is very common and inexpensively replaced at many auto parts stores.

I only put holes in my shell for VIPs (very important parts), and the license plate holder doesn't make that list!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #9
MJo

Massachusetts
license plate

Thanks for commenting. I was hoping you would. I didn’t like the idea of putting screws into the fiberglas but I do prefer attaching with 4 screws. the bolts I have have that rubber or whatever which is supposed to keep them on, I’ll use lock washers also. Those tabs hanging from the light seem destined to bend and come loose. Wish there was a sturdier alternative. I even considered just putting the license plate in the rear window of the Scamp. thanks again for commenting.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for commenting. I was hoping you would. I didn’t like the idea of putting screws into the fiberglas but I do prefer attaching with 4 screws. the bolts I have have that rubber or whatever which is supposed to keep them on, I’ll use lock washers also. Those tabs hanging from the light seem destined to bend and come loose. Wish there was a sturdier alternative. I even considered just putting the license plate in the rear window of the Scamp. thanks again for commenting.
Late thought... I think they changed to a different LED taillight recently. Does your have the old-style surface-mount rectangular housing or something different?
Old 05-16-2021, 05:10 AM   #11
MJo

Massachusetts
license plate

I don't know, I picked up my Scamp just before they changed the door, so I don't know what version anything is. The tail lights are rectangular, surface mounted, about 6x4x3inches deep. I'll hook up to the license plate bracket, it just looks like it won't last long. Do you have solar? If so, have you mounted it to the roof of your Scamp?
Old 05-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Sounds like you have the same very common taillight unit as mine, which has lasted 13 years and counting.

No solar yet, but it’s in the plans for a coming 12V upgrade. I will use a portable suitcase style for more flexibility in where I place it and the ability to use it with either of our two RVs. In any case I prefer to keep the shell as clean as possible.

Part of the upgrade includes LED running lights. Most of the LED taillights I’ve seen do not include a license mount, so I may be forced to do something different then.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
MJo

Massachusetts
license plate

I got the Renogy 100 Watt 12volt monocrystalline compact design, it looks like it folds (I havent taken it out of the box yet) from Home Depot $103.44 with the Adventurer controller from Amazon. Its a small investment because I have no idea what I’m doing, but I expect I’ll learn, with all the free advice I get, that is. I thought I may get somewhere I want to stay and not have power for Scamp lights and want to keep the battery charged without running the car.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just to let you know in MN clear covers over plates are illegal.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most, if not all, states require the license plate to be lighted. And generally one tail light will have a clear "window" on the bottom to do that if the plate mounts there. Or there are different options available for separate license plate lights. When I worked in a truck shop we mounted license plates on a piece of rubber mud flap because the plates tended to vibrate and break off.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #16

Maine
license plate holder/left tail light cover

Our 2012 Scamp has what is called the old style driver side tail light cover. It has two tabs that extend down from the tail light unit which hold the license plate. These broke and our choice seemed to be a)drilling holes in the Scamp [not an option] or b) replacing the tail light unit. We try to keep things as original as possible so this was our choice. Karin
Old 05-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #17

Maine
solar

Quote:
Do you have solar? If so, have you mounted it to the roof of your Scamp?
We just bought a Rockpals 300 power pack and a folding solar screen. We haven't used it yet but tested it here with lights plugged in and it seems to work well. We won't mount it to the roof. It's very light and portable so you can keep it in the sun. I think this is enough power for most things in our little trailer (no air conditioner and mostly propane for appliances) We'll see. Karin
Old 05-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #18
MJo

Massachusetts
license plate

sounds like you will have lots of power. I only got the 100W12v Renegy. I haven't hooked it together with the controller, I have to read up some and then test it. Those license plate tabs which come off of the rear light look to me like once I bend them enough to put the bolts on for the license plate, they'll break off. I have to hook everything up and see what happens. I got a clear plastic cover from Ace Hardware but that might add too much weight to the bracket. How was the rally? looked like there would be lots of people. I'm booked for early June, spot near the dog park.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:36 AM   #19

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
Hey all,

The license plate holder on my Scamp has broken. I looked on the Scamp parts website and couldn't find anything. I also saw some on Amazon, but not sure if they are the correct size.

Got mine online at E-Trailer. Also got my water filler for fresh tank there.
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #20

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
license plate holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
Hey all,

This is a common part at trailer dealers. I had to re-bend it to get it "sandwiched" between the stabilizer and the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
32 license mount.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, scamp