Lift Support HELP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: pat
Trailer: MITY LITE
British Columbia
Lift Support HELP

Decided to add more material and allow top to lift higher. Lift supports 80lbs per side putting too much pressure on the back and when in closed position forces the top forward by a 3/4 of an inch. Tried 60lbs per side not strong enough to hold top up. Are the lifts anchored in the right spot? Trying to configure best system to minimize pressure in back with correct lift supports. any advice would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 8.49.29 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 8.55.16 AM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 8.55.28 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 8.55.41 AM.png  

spaghettiroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
Seems to me the farther the lift rod is from the hinge the less upward pressure the top puts on the hinge. If you move the lift rod out more than half the length of the top by moving both pivot points, the weight will fall more evenly on the hinge and lift rod. Then the lift rod can be a little weaker and put less pressure on the hinge horizontally. But you will need a longer lift rod to get the top to the same height...
You may want a couple solid prop rods to help keep things stable once the top is fully raised.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks! Right now the way they are are installed, the lift rods at 80lbs per side are 21" extended and very easily lift the top; too easily. So....I've ordered longer 23" 40lbs extended lift rods that will give me the extra 12" at the front in overall height. I'm hoping 1/2 the lift rod pressure and slightly longer rods will take the pressure away to some degree? Yes I use a pole in the front as a safety regardless. Thoughts on my theory?
Old 08-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #4

British Columbia
Now that I think of it...I'm going to place our home weight scale on the counter ledge, prop up the top with the lift rods disengaged and place the prop up pole on the scale to get the exact weight of the top but weight/pressure closer to hinge would more so I'll weigh the top from the center and prop it on top of the scale on the floor....