Lighting domestic refrigerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
Lighting domestic refrigerator

I had a dometic fridge installed in my 1995 13' Scamp and have always had trouble lighting it. Recently my routine is to light the burners for 10 min. to get the gas flowing and walk outside, open the side door and try the push method to ignite which usually doesn't work or takes a million tries but lately have been depressing the temperature button and then putting a match to the pilot light. It works every time so I'm wondering why I've never seen it suggested. Is it bad or dangerous?
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a Dometic RM2510.
If we knew which model you have, somebody might be able to help.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge label.jpg  
Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
I had a dometic fridge installed in my 1995 13' Scamp and have always had trouble lighting it. Recently my routine is to light the burners for 10 min. to get the gas flowing and walk outside, open the side door and try the push method to ignite which usually doesn't work or takes a million tries but lately have been depressing the temperature button and then putting a match to the pilot light. It works every time so I'm wondering why I've never seen it suggested. Is it bad or dangerous?

I use a BBQ type lighter. It also works great to test if fridge is running. I light the lighter blow the flame out and hold the trigger Stick the end into the access port and if it comes out burning I'll know every thing is working.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:43 AM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I think this was discussed not too long ago. I know because I remember replying to the thread.

Anyway. I have a '99 Scamp, and I've been lighting the fridge with a BBQ lighter since the day I got it, going on 4 years now. No problems, other than telling if and when the pilot is lit. can be very hard to see the flame in daylight. Try lighting it in the evening the first few times to gain confidence and to figure out your technique, but as you say, pressing the knob and setting a lighter to the pilot orifice, hold the knob for 30 seconds, then release should do the trick if all is working. Easy way to check it as your weekend goes on is to just hold your hand at the top of the vent panel, above where the pilot is. you should feel warm air coming out.

One caveat, the knob on my fridge is very stiff. It takes a fair amount of force to press it in (doesn't move very far), then has to be pulled out to the normal position. Perhaps this is just an idiosyncrasy on my trailer, or perhaps I should get my control knob replaced. Just wanted to point that out in case others are the same as mine.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Lighting and checking with a butane lighter as mentioned by others is the best way to go. They're also handy for lighting the stove. You are correct to light the stove to get gas flowing but just until it lights is enough - ten minutes is not needed.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
To purge the gas line and get just propane flowing I turn on the furnace, which is the furthest away for the tank. Once it lights I turn it off then light the fridge.
Sometimes I'll also light the stove top burners too, but not for long.

Tags
light, lighting, refrigerator