Lil Bigfoot (1989), rear cabinet sagging - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
Lil Bigfoot (1989), rear cabinet sagging

Hello! I did not notice this when I bought the trailer 6-7 years ago. Perhaps it has started or worsened during her 4 year vacation, sitting in my driveway?

Anyway, the rear cabinet is sagging in the back, on the curbside. It starts on the far left (curb) corner, and resolves in about the center. It partially covers the metal frame of the window.

I was just preparing to redo the curtain rods when I noticed this. I should probably also mention that I have never packed this cupboard with heavy items, so it has not been abused.

I can't quite tell what failed in there, or how it should be fixed! Any advice or suggestions much appreciated!

Old 04-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
I had the same issue with my 1987 Lil Bigfoot and eventually did a complete upgrade of the interior. Since the cabinets aren't fiberglass molded into the hull, the cabinets are screwed into wooden strips that are glued to the hull. The wooden strips are able to bend to match the hull curve (see picture).

My guess is that either the screws have pulled/stripped out of the wooden support strips, or the support strips are starting to detach from the hull. Replacing the support strips might be necessary. I used a flex glue.

As my trailer is a 1987 vintage, your 1989 trailer might be different. I'll attach a picture to show the front and rear support strips.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood cabinet support.jpg   Wood cabinet support front.jpg  

Wood cabinet support rear.jpg  
John DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #3

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John DM View Post
I had the same issue with my 1987 Lil Bigfoot and eventually did a complete upgrade of the interior. Since the cabinets aren't fiberglass molded into the hull, the cabinets are screwed into wooden strips that are glued to the hull. The wooden strips are able to bend to match the hull curve (see picture).

My guess is that either the screws have pulled/stripped out of the wooden support strips, or the support strips are starting to detach from the hull. Replacing the support strips might be necessary. I used a flex glue.

As my trailer is a 1987 vintage, your 1989 trailer might be different. I'll attach a picture to show the front and rear support strips.
John, thank you for this info! I will dig deeper to see if I have the same strips. Do you also have bolts (or some kind of support) going through the ceiling of the trailer which also support the cabinets? Mine look like this:

Old 04-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
My 1987 does not have any such support bolts. My guess is that it was a previous attempt to fix the cabinet sagging. It's an unfortunate design flaw. A fiberglass reinforcement would have been preferred.
I roll down some rough roads, which shook my cabinets loose. Since renovating, I only keep light items up there.
John DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #5

CA
Quote:
My 1987 does not have any such support bolts. My guess is that it was a previous attempt to fix the cabinet sagging. It's an unfortunate design flaw. A fiberglass reinforcement would have been preferred.
I roll down some rough roads, which shook my cabinets loose. Since renovating, I only keep light items up there.
John, these are there for every cabinet corner. I don't like them, but I think I read elsewhere in the forums that this was a standard from the factory. I'd have to read back through previous posts to verify. I agree, I'd prefer a fiberglass reinforcement for everything... including rivets (which fortunately, we do not have)!

Like you, I have not stored any heavy items in these upper cabinets, but unlike you, I haven't rolled down any rough roads.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #6

CA
Quote:
John, There is mention of these bolts in this thread here... https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post807610

Kenny Strong has the same model and year as mine, and his has the bolts as well. I think Bigfoot may have thought this would be an improvement in the build, but I tend to disagree. I would have preferred everything attached internally to wooden cleats which are fiberglassed onto the shell.

I don't have the wherewithall to rebuild them, unfortunately, but I do need to get that rear cabinet back into level somehow before I can move onto curtain rods, etc.

Tags
bigfoot