Lil Snoozy spare tire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Lil Snoozy spare tire

I posted this on the Lil Snoozy Owner's forum but haven't had a response. Where does one put the spare tire? I don't have a bracket, don't want it in my under bed storage, and am tired of it rattling around in the bed of my truck ...

Where do you Snoozy owner's put your spare??

Thanks!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I have a manual (bicycle) pump, can of fix-a-flat, and St Christopher medal. No storage problems

Wen I bought my Snoozy I talked with Alan about the pros and cons of carrying a spare tire. He agreed the low probability of a flat plus the ability to unhook and drive somewhere to get the tire fixed didn't justify carrying the heavy and bulky spare 100% of the time.

Gotta do what makes you the most comfortable, though.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Thanks Denny!

Makes me feel better about keeping the tire in storage instead in the truck.

I have good roadside service!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Spare Tire

Anyone that really travels in an RV should carry a spare. Tires do fail, sometimes they simply find a road hazard.

In parts of this country and definitely traveling more northern than the US/Canadian borders you can find yourself on plenty of roads where you have to drive 200 miles to get a replacement tire.

I think every trailer should have a spare or at least provision for one.

I've been on plenty of roads where Good Sams or AAA or what ever are a longway away. Actually I don't recall ever hearing of a trailer without a spare until Snoozy. Until Snoozy and Eggcamper I never heard of one without propane.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I agree with Norm, it is foolish to travel without a spare. I had a tire issue last year over the 4th of july weekend and had a spare but it meant driving home without one. Took a few hours to track down the right weight requirement for the size, lots of phone calls and running around....I always carry a spare.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Don't know how much clearance you have but I've seen people with other brands of campers mount their spare "under" the tongue.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I once considered under the tongue but it adds 30-40 lbs to the tongue area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
One solution - Actually, this is for the RAV4 - The Escape has a tire mount on the back. Because I was foolish enough to order a RAV4 Sport that came with run flat tires and planned to be places that were more than 100 miles from anywhere (the distance Toyota says you can drive on a flat tire) plus the fact that they were lousy, expensive tires, I put standard tires on the car and modified my roof rack to hold a spare.
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_7883.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Per leaving spare behind:

I learned to use the "greasy string" tire repair method so that I needn't carry a trailer spare. This because sometimes I really need tug/tow room for something else.

However: I still bring a spare if room allows, since in my opinion changin' is easier than repairing.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

I learned to use the "greasy string" tire repair method so that I needn't carry a trailer spare. This because sometimes I really need tug/tow room for something else.

However: I still bring a spare if room allows, since in my opinion changin' is easier than repairing.

Francesca
"Greasy String" isn't going to help if the tire blows out...mine blew out and wrapped around the rim and I didn't even feel it happened...well thats what ya get with 12" rims lol

deryk
Old 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
"Greasy String" isn't going to help if the tire blows out...mine blew out and wrapped around the rim and I didn't even feel it happened...well thats what ya get with 12" rims lol

deryk

True enough! Real "blowouts" are seldom repairable at all...do you think that the cause was undersizing/overloading?

I should have said above that I'm a real witch when it comes to both choice and maintenance of my tires to begin with and in over forty thousand miles of towing have never had a flat or any other kind of trailer tire trouble except a slow leak at a valve one time...fortunately I caught that in one of my every-stop walkarounds.

Easy replacement there, and a weak spot that had never occurred to me before that incident. I picked up a couple of spare valve inserts just in case it ever happens again, though.

Not that it will, now that I'm prepared for it!

Francesca
Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #12

Registry
The last few flats I've had all broke the seal/bead with the rim and couldn't be fixed without a compressor. The can stuff works great for the small stuff.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I once considered under the tongue but it adds 30-40 lbs to the tongue area.
Minus better options I'd move some gear to the rear to compensate. The one bad thing about a rear door.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
My Casita lives on a lot of dirt roads and I seem to average a couple tire leaks per year, usually nails or screws. I carry both the (miniature) spare for the TV and a regular size for the trailer. There's also a greasy string kit with my tools but the thing that has saved me every time has been a good quality 12V air compressor. Tires seem to lose more air when they're stopped, so I just fill the tire back up and head for the nearest gas station. This is the one I carry:

Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
We keep ours under the bed in the left front corner. Other stuff under our bed includes 2 Alp lawn chairs, a screen tent, a folding table, grey water hose, fresh water hose, and a storage bin with extension cord, wheel chocks, and other misc. items.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #16

Registry
I too carry a small air compressor for tire repairs...

Per rear-mounting of spare on Snoozy:

Would it be practical to consider the mounting of a side-swing tire holder like those one sees on vans? I realize that in most cases those are fitted to the van door hinges, but I wonder if one couldn't modify such a thing to attach to separate hinges off to one side.

I s'pose it might require reinforcements of some kind- perhaps steel plates inside/outside at points of attachment. I had to do something similar to that when I mounted the awning on my Trillium and it's worked fine- no stress cracking/damage to fiberglass shell...

Francesca
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Anyone that really travels in an RV should carry a spare. Tires do fail, sometimes they simply find a road hazard.

In parts of this country and definitely traveling more northern than the US/Canadian borders you can find yourself on plenty of roads where you have to drive 200 miles to get a replacement tire.

I think every trailer should have a spare or at least provision for one.

I've been on plenty of roads where Good Sams or AAA or what ever are a longway away. Actually I don't recall ever hearing of a trailer without a spare until Snoozy. Until Snoozy and Eggcamper I never heard of one without propane.
I'm with him. I've needed mine many times. I can have a tire changed in under 10 minutes, how long will it take you to remove it, drive 50-100 miles somewhere, get it fixed or replaced (hopefully not after 5, or on sunday), and drive 50-100 miles back and install it? The same goes for a phone call.

I had a flat on the truck in the parking lot at work, and a guy 10 spaces away from me did, also. In 30 minutes, I was home in bed. I heard it was 2 hours before AAA even showed up for him. No thanks. To me, that's for completely broken down, not repairable situations.

Quote:

Francesca
90% of mine have been blowouts, that would take a lot of plugs and some intricate stitching.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post

90% of mine have been blowouts, that would take a lot of plugs and some intricate stitching.
That's true...but- YIKES! Sounds like you've had a lot of blowouts!
Have you ever considered just throwin' in the pneumatic tire towel and goin' to solid rubber?

In over forty years of driving of all kinds of vehicles/trailers, I've had exactly one "blowout", and it was of a right front tire on my husband's truck, at fast-lane freeway speed. The only thing that saved my bacon was the fact that there was no one in the right lane when the truck lurched violently into it.... This within just a few weeks of having accepted my Dearly Beloved's opinion that the truck's in-my-opinion-done-for tires "had lots of life left" in them.

Needless to say, he's not in charge of that kind of decision any more....

I think that except for the relatively small number of road-hazard caused blowouts, most are caused by inattention to the tires themselves in terms of monitoring their age/condition/loads/air pressures, especially the latter two.

Here quoting from Safercar.Gov:

Quote:
Underinflated tires and overloaded vehicles are the leading causes of tire failure.
Seems to me like many flat tire-changing situations can be avoided altogether if we'd all pay a bit more attention to "where the rubber meets the road" in the first place!

Francesca
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:

True enough! Real "blowouts" are seldom repairable at all...do you think that the cause was undersizing/overloading?

Francesca
Neither, weight was well within tolerance of tire capacity. Could have been road debris, temp, tire quality, who knows... but the unexpected do happen, and being prepared is always a good plan... I travel on weekends and not all tire shop's are open on sundays. If something went wrong it would be good to be able to make it out of there...the idea of leaving my caravan on the side of the road while I go searching in a strange town looking for a tire is not my idea of a good plan.

deryk
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
That's true...but- YIKES! Sounds like you've had a lot of blowouts!
Have you ever considered just throwin' in the pneumatic tire towel and goin' to solid rubber?

In over forty years of driving of all kinds of vehicles/trailers, I've had exactly one "blowout", and it was of a right front tire on my husband's truck, at fast-lane freeway speed. The only thing that saved my bacon was the fact that there was no one in the right lane when the truck lurched violently into it.... This within just a few weeks of having accepted my Dearly Beloved's opinion that the truck's in-my-opinion-done-for tires "had lots of life left" in them.

Needless to say, he's not in charge of that kind of decision any more....<_<

I think that except for the relatively small number of road-hazard caused blowouts, most are caused by inattention to the tires themselves in terms of monitoring their age/condition/loads/air pressures, especially the latter two.

Here quoting from Safercar.Gov:

Seems to me like many flat tire-changing situations can be avoided altogether if we'd all pay a bit more attention to "where the rubber meets the road" in the first place!

Francesca
I've only had one blowout on a vehicle, thank god. The bad part it was the right steer tire on a semi going around a left hand turn. I came close to putting it on its side.

I check tire pressure and hub temperature at every gas-up (which is only a couple hundred miles with the truck). they've gone within a few minutes of filling up. No idea why, not enough left to check it for road hazard, etc.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote