List of Notarization Requirements by State - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
List of Notarization Requirements by State

I'm shopping for a trailer. It's likely that I'll be making a purchase outside my state which is Oklahoma. A tag agent explained that I will need a title from the seller in order to register my trailer and to prove ownership. States differ on whether certificates of title must be notarized, and how. I asked the tag agent if she had a list indicating each state's requirements and she said yes. Here it is attached for anyone who is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Notary Requirements By State.pdf (278.3 KB, 56 views)
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The surprise here was even though North Carolina requires notary approved signatures on title transfers; when I bought my truck in TN and brought it to NC for title and registration, notary was NOT required. Why? NC limit their requirements to vehicles bought and sold within the state. And when I sold a motorcycle in NC, notary was not required as I still had a SC title on it (I had recently moved from there).

Another tricky part when I brought my SC cargo trailer with me to NC, it was difficult, as such trailers are not licensed or titled in SC. Fortunately, I had the original paperwork (from ten years ago) when I originally bought the trailer. Crazier still, that trailer was bought in .. North Carolina.

So even if your state requires notary approval, check to see if it is required when you buy the vehicle out of state.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
If you are buying out of state get the title and bill of sale notarized while you are there. Your state won't reject it because it is notarized but you might have to prove ownership in another state on your way home.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 AM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
you might have to prove ownership in another state on your way home.
Bruce, I never thought of that. Excellent advice. Thanks.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The surprise here was even though North Carolina requires notary approved signatures on title transfers; when I bought my truck in TN and brought it to NC for title and registration, notary was NOT required. Why?
Tennessee is NOT a "Notary" state and does not require title notarization for title transfer.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Nice list, thanks for sharing. Luckily, when we bought ours, neither state required it. Was thinking of getting registrations notarized if we ever go on a long road trip--just in case...car and trailer. Belt AND suspenders!