Little Black Spots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari

While giving my 16ft U-Haul a bath today before taking her for a weekend of camping, I noticed some little black spots on the one side. I knew exactly what they were/are from, my mulch that is in a planting bed next to my driveway. Called "Artillery Fungus" and the size of a ball point pen mark, I've seen them on vinyl siding and heard they're hard to get off (I tried with a finger nail...no use!)

Anyone else have this or have had this problem and were able to remove it from their fiberglass trailer without any damage? Sometime this summer, I want to use Poliglow on it, and don't want to lock in these little marks. It's not bad, but I know it's there...and it bothers me to no end!!

I appreciate any suggestions -

Carol
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 5500
Carol, i have just been doing the same thing with my trillium. Try Meguiar's Oxidation Remover or Colour Restorer. i tried a few things on my boler last year, and found those to work the best. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but should take care of most of the discolouration. Products are pretty easy to come by here (Canadian Tire), and are also avaialble at the marine supply stores.

If you use either, make sure you do it in the shade. will dry too fast to buff off if you are in direct sun.

Janice
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
Carol, i have just been doing the same thing with my trillium. Try Meguiar's Oxidation Remover or Colour Restorer. i tried a few things on my boler last year, and found those to work the best. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but should take care of most of the discolouration. Products are pretty easy to come by here (Canadian Tire), and are also avaialble at the marine supply stores.

If you use either, make sure you do it in the shade. will dry too fast to buff off if you are in direct sun.

Janice
If you plan to use PolyGlow, they recommend that you use polyprep first. Just be sure to wear gloves, it is easy, powerful and fast.
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Thanks to you both...

The littlle spots didn't hinder our camping weekend (nor did the rain) but I don't like them just the same. I've heard and read to use anything from Lestoil, to Corn oil to remove the spots from the vinyl siding, but didn't know how those products would work on the fiberglass.

Since doing laundry and giving dogs baths took the front seat to giving the 'egg' another bath (from the smooshed bugs we brought back with us) I'll be able to work on those spots tomorrow....

Thanks again for the suggestions...but where do I get "elbow grease" ? If it works on the 'egg', maybe it'll work on my squeeky elbow, shoulder, knee, ankle.......
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote