Location of Buddy Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Location of Buddy Heater

I just got a buddy heater for my 13' scamp. Anyone have suggestions on where to place the heater. I was thinking about putting it under the couch and pulling it out of the cabinet when in use. I also have a dog so that is not the best plan unless he sits on the couch. Anyone have thoughts about where to put this thing? I was thinking about mounting it on the closet door, but will need to run propane to the other side of the camper.
dron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I heard that this kind of system creates moisture beacoup in our small caravan of fiberglass.

To keep the interior space is more expensive, but one of the models can be installed under the trailer:
Propex: Propex North America • Propex Heatsource USA and Canada
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Quebec
Registry
You can see a foreign installation on this link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post449450
Old 02-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Thanks. Looks like a great option. A rather expensive unit based on the worth of the camper. I used the buddy this weekend and didn't have condensation issues. I assed a fan to the vent to suck out condensation. Seemed to work for this trip. I'm sure it will be an issue at some point.
dron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
As Gilles has pointed out, open combustion of propane produces lots of carbon dioxide and water vapor!! I would assume you read all the warnings on that device but if not you should. Absolutely not the best choice for confined space heating I don't care what anyone else says. More than likely the product instructions/warnings state that the unit should be used in well ventilated space.
rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have the Lil Buddy. I keep it in my storage and use it when we don't have electric. It runs off the small attached bottles. I leave a window cracked when it is on and we don't leave it on when we sleep. It works well and I haven't noticed any condensation.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
We just discovered on our 2-day outing that our furnace has an issue, and I was really wishing we had a back-up heat source. Is there any resource ANYWHERE that gives info on how much ventilation is needed per BTU output? Any guide at all?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

Quebec
Registry
The best guide is to cut-off Buddy-Heater before sleep.

If You read the description for this system :
- Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS)
( Big Buddy Portable Heater )

You can buy an oxygene detector like this :
Oxygen Detector (O2) CTX 300 | Oldham

It's the choice of each one, the technology exist.

The Buddy-Heater is
State Restriction:
MA
Country Restriction:
CANADA

Likely that other members will have a different story, for now this is mine.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Anyone interested in non-vented heater safety vs CO poisoning should take 10 minutes and read these two very interesting documents, published by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission:
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/103975/CO02.pdf
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/103972/CO03.pdf

They explain why ODS-equipped heaters like the Mr. Heaters are in a different league in regard of safety.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have issues with FIRE (of any kind) in a trailer or any enclosed space. I am not going to argue with anybody about it. That said, I intend to someday install a Proper heater in (or under) my Scamp. In the meantime I also intend to buy a Little Buddy heater for the odd occasion I need heat boondocking. I will not use it while sleeping and will crack a window. If that does not work I will go home or to a Motel.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #11

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Thanks for the links, will read up on this. We sleep with the windows and vent cracked even if there's no heat running! But I wonder, when I'm cooking with two burners on the stove going, if the openings I have are sufficient. For instance, I don't have a fan over the stove, just a hood with a little metal louvered door at the back. Is THAT enough to keep us safe while I'm cooking?

And yes, I would totally use a LB heater in the morning and in the evening if I were having trouble with my furnace. Cooking warms us up admirably, but not from the waist down.

We are working now on getting CM and propane alarms. BTW, Costco now has a little drum-style smoke detector, with a battery that is supposed to be good for ten years. There are two in the package, which runs about $30. They're about the size of a walnut or a plum.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dron View Post
Anyone have suggestions on where to place the heater.
My experience with the Mr Heater in our popup is that you have to keep a free distance of about 2ft in front of the heater. Anything closer to that will get VERY hot, enough to melt plastics trims or damage finishes.

Also, I found that the floor just in front of the heater also gets quite warm. I wasn't concerned about fire, but maybe discoloration of the flooring over time. Maybe I worry for nothing, but just in case I use a piece of Reflectix to protect the floor (aluminium-coated bubble wrap that you can get at your local store in rolls). I had a 24in X 24in leftover piece laying around. I just put it under and in front of the heater, and the Reflectix stays completely cold (reflects almost all the heat upwards) and the floor under it stays cold as well.

If you have a dog (or young kids) makes sure they can't touch the heater, as the front grille gets extremely hot.

Mr Heaters are very safe when used with proper ventilation, I've used mine a lot. Although they burn very cleanly, I always use it with a CO detector. My detector is the type that has a display that shows the CO concentration in ppm. I never saw anything but 000 (zero) on that display.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Interesting read, Carl. Thanks for posting.

I'll still keep a window or two open while in use, and I have a new CO detector also. The Mr. Heater with the Oxygen sensor works well and the moisture is taken care of with adequate ventilation.

Good sleeping bag is adequate for overnight.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote