Location of VIN Numbers on U-Haul CT's??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 86 U-Haul CT (#1108)
We've decided that an egg is perfect for our needs and found a U-Haul locally at a reasonable price. We went to look at it, thought we had a deal and then discovered two things. First, we couldn't find the VIN number of the unit on the tongue of the trailer. We found two plates welded to the tongue which said NOT U-Haul Property or something like that, probably welded on by U-Haul when they sold off the units, but no stamped-on VIN. From our experience with motorcycles, officers of the law and VIN's we feel it's extremely important that the numbers be easily visible for a police inspection. Anyone know where they are? Are they located elsewhere on the trailer besides the tongue? The sticker on the side identified the manufacturer in Dayton, OH and the model number but no VIN.

We'd spent several hours inspecting the unit, thought we'd examined everything and then during the VIN search I noticed the tongue was off-center to the right about 6-7" or more. Further examination showed the tongue was indeed bent to the right--certainly nothing that couldn't be corrected but somehow overlooked when we examined it, probably because we spent so much time looking a the rest of the unit. I'm glad the serial number problem popped up because otherwise a trip to a frame rack would've been in order and cost us more money...

Update: I found Ray Horner's U-Haul page and it said that the number on his trailer was located "...on top in front of the propane tank holder..." and that it was covered in paint. Now I need to contact the owner and have him see if it's there.

The bent tongue can problem can likely be fixed by my hillbilly stock-car buddies who've straightened their frames using trees--we'll see.
Tim Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The U-Haul tongue is bolted on, so if necessary the whole thing can be replaced.

U-Haul owners should be aware that in the Document Center (over there on the left side of the page), under Trailer Brand Manufacturer then U-Haul there are both Parts and Repair manuals. Page 22 of the Repair Manual has a decal location list, which says that on the back (item 26) there is a "Vehicle ID number", but that may be an internal thing rather than the actual VIN.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
There are a couple of other places to check for a VIN, although neither is permanent. One is behind the cupboard door under the sink. There should be a page attached to the back of the door that lists the VIN, construction date, and appliance makes/models. The other is a little less conspicuous. If you crawl under the trailer, there is likely a small (1/2" diameter or so) tube attached to the underside of the trailer, on the left rear side. Inside of this tube should be a sheet of paper that is the original registration for the trailer (mine was originally registered in LA, if I'm not mistaken).
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I would "think U-haul would" go to a tool place, like Harbor Freight, and buy the letter and number punch set. I would then "think U-haul would" stamp the VIN number from the title on the drivers side of the tougue were it would be visible if you would need to take it to the DMV. That is where mine is and the DMV had no problems seeing it.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
I would "think U-haul would" go to a tool place, like Harbor Freight, and buy the letter and number punch set. I would then "think U-haul would" stamp the VIN number from the title on the drivers side of the tougue were it would be visible if you would need to take it to the DMV. That is where mine is and the DMV had no problems seeing it.
I think that "U-Haul will probably see to it that the proper numbers are on it" before we ever hit the road...

There's always the possibility that the original numbers weren't put back on the tongue when it was replaced during it's rental service life, too. Speaking of which, anyone know of where to find NOS U-Haul parts? Did someone buy it all up or did U-Haul scrap it out? It would be neat to find a brand-new tongue or other parts sitting in a dusty warehouse somewhere.

The current owner found the document tube (mentioned above) under the trailer and looked for paperwork. He said there was a sealed plastic tube inside but nothing in it.

My sincere thanks to everyone who's offered their help with this. We pick the critter up today!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #6

Well, it's home!! If you can figure out how to find it via it's listing number it's still on eBay:

The fellow who sold it to me posted a bunch of pictures of it there.

It's a nice sunny day and I'm going to go out and tinker on it!! Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Tim:

Welcome to UHaul. We have a 16' UHaul and love it.
I suggest that you try your local UHaul. We were able to order new rims a couple of months ago, using the same numbers as in the manual. Maybe they still use the same tongue. We are looking to repair our surge brakes and the UHaul trailers today (the cargo ones) look like the same brakes.
The UHaul dealership has to be willing to order the parts themselves and then sell them to you. Not all dealerships will do this.

CindyL
Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 AM   #8

CindyL said the eBay item number won't do you any good to get to the eBay listing and pictures of my U-Haul CT. When I tried to add a link and test it eBay said it has already been pulled by the seller. The pictures, much like a mail-order spouse, made it look much better than it is, anyway. Still, it's complete and original, bent tongue and all.

I was out peeling the cover stickers off the U-Haul logos this evening and my wife suggested that I not remove the cover over the "H" in U-Haul to make it "U AUL," obviously a down-home way of saying "You all." She thought it would go well with our trailer-trash image. I may in the future remove the balance of the covering and go with the "NOT a" stickers as mentioned above, or maybe even add "anymore" under the logo. Right now all I want to do is get it roadworthy and watertight.

On the subject of watertightness has anyone completely replaced their windows with more modern new ones?

We pulled all the cushions out for an airing and cleaning and discovered the hinge for the upper bunk/couch back was rusted and virtually frozen in place, probably why the seller had left it in the bunk mode. A liberal application of PB Blaster rust penetrant followed by lubrication with a light spray oil had it working after awhile.

This is going to be a priority #1 project as we'd like to have it ready to go to a late-model dirt race in a couple of weeks. As work progresses and if I have any questions or things to share I'll get back with you!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #9

Registry
I like that, "U aul!" We put reflector tape over our sticker, following the UHaul outline. Since it has a note stating that it is no longer owned by UHaul, we figured it would not hurt. There are Uhaul notes all over it anyway, every door and even the light covers.

People will keep asking you if UHaul rents trailers. They do us.

CindyL
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #10

We're fortunate that we not only have a U-Haul Repair Center close by but two of the fellows who work there have enough seniority to have worked on the campers. I went by this morning and found that the tongue has been superseded by a different part number which is different in that it has a triangular plate welded on near where the tongue meets the front of the frame (which will have to be removed for my needs) and it's now galvanized--more trouble to weld but at least it's rust-resistant. The parts are VERY expensive and the older fellow said he remembers when they were less than 1/4 the cost of what they are now.

New wheels aren't too bad at around $40 U-Haul dealer cost and supposedly the "retail" cost is 30% above this, depending on how much the retail outlet wants to charge you.

I neglected to write down the part numbers for the tongue and coupler (he said it was tweeked, too) but when they come in I'll share them with you.

The senior repairman said his worst memory of the little campers was having to clean out the Porta-Pottis when folks brought them back full...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #11

Registry
Oh, wow! Maybe we need a trip over to Indianapolis again. We just came back through there a few weeks ago. We need some help in repairing our surge brakes. We have not contacted our dealer yet, though, to see if they still might have parts. But since they replaced the tongue, they probably replaced the surge brakes. These guys might have some idea what to do.

Our tires cost us around 70.00 apiece.

We are heading out on Thursday for about 2 weeks out west, Rocky Mountain National Park and Custer, SD.

CindyL

Tags
license, registration, title, u-haul, vin