Lock For Fresh Water Fill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 ft
I thought it would be nice to be able to lock the fresh water fill on our Scamp 13. Does anyone have any ideas how this little door can be locked? I was also thinking the same for the power cord hole and the control panel which houses the power controls for the fridge. As always, any feedback on this forum is always appreciated.

jamessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
you can buy locking hatches for them. you may have to cut the glass to fit them, but these items are easily available at an RV store
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The problem is where the fresh water fill is located (which is different than the city water fill)... right on the bend from side to back! Six inches either way and it would have been just fine because it would have been in a flat area.

Joy A has changed both fresh water fill and electrical hatch to locking hatches. The electrical looked easy, but the fresh water required trimming the hatch itself and some modification to the bench area. I've looked for her postings on these, and currently can't fine them... I'll keep looking and will post if/when I find them... If Joy doesn't jump in a post herself.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I thought it would be nice to be able to lock the fresh water fill on our Scamp 13. Does anyone have any ideas how this little door can be locked? I was also thinking the same for the power cord hole and the control panel which houses the power controls for the fridge. As always, any feedback on this forum is always appreciated.
Hi: jamessue...The locks are avail by themselves at Building Supply stores. I put one in a bathroom drawer to secure Med's from little fingers. You'll need a hole saw for your drill to cut out the hole!!! That is if there's a door there already.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #5

This is probably one of the worst pieces of engineering I've seen on a trailer. The fill is located in a place that makes it nearly impossible (without a lot of work) to put on any kind of flat door:

Name:   WaterFill.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  10.8 KB

It comes from the factory with a flipper door. My small child thought it was a great place to dump rocks and sand! Thank goodness kids grow up.

Name:   waterfill2.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  3.6 KB
Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #6

Ha! Found Joy's stuff on my computer!
Attached Thumbnails
JoysWaterFill_01.jpg   JoysWaterFill_02.jpg  

JoysWaterFill_03.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
What about drilling a little hole diagonally through the side of the filler and the lid so that you can put a tiny little lock through it? What is the purpose of the lock? To keep kids out? To keep people from pouring battery acid in to your drinking water? This would be enough of a deterrent I would think. Yes, a little bit of rain might leak through the space between the lock and the edge of the hole, but I would think that it would be negligible. Just throwing out a cheap and easy suggestion.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Locking door on fresh water on scamp

This problem has been a bone of contention to me since I bought our camper in 2014. I call this the ("MINI URINAL") as it is crotch height and so convenient for some butt wipe to make a deposit if you are disliked etc. I hate to think these things can happen but they can and more dangerous or life threatening things can be put in there by kids or anyone! I contacted Scamp about this design, but guess what? They have been building these eggs for years, why change anything that is not broke!! I have made many upgrades on my own but still think that builders of RV's, Trailers should take a look at features of danger and safety suggested by owners and make these items a priority to correct to show their respect for safety considered by Purchasers. Yea, Right! Anyhow I will finish that problem and tackle the Mini Urinal soon, just been busy. So darn stupid!!
Garylee in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon

Water fillers with locking caps that are small enough in size to fit that area are widely available in Europe and Australia. I don't know why the USA and Canadian market has not gone over to that style of fitting.

They are meant to be used with one of the filler tubes that can screw onto the end of a hose so it is not an issue of matching up thread sizes.

It is not as if an RV supply wholesaler can't order this item delivered to them directly from China. Fiamma is selling them in Europe and Fiamma has a USA physical office in Florida for handling sales distribution of their products in the USA. But other companies besides Fiamma are also selling them in those other countries (for less money).

If you want the makers of an RV to change what they are putting in then show them a viable option to use as a substitute and the change is far more likely to happen. That way the boss can pass it on to his person who sources the parts they use.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Locks

Interesting. My Casita came with locks on all the utility and storage access doors. One of the many mods I did soon after getting it was to eliminate the locks and install turn button latches. I do still have a lock on the entrance door.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote