Locking the scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Am I missing something?...just ordered a new lock from scamp as mine was missing keys..and the interior side looked pretty rough ..I want to lock the scamp from the inside obviously but how do I accomplish this there is no attached latch to lock it like you would find on a screen door ...however there is a hole just below where the interior handle is that appears if you place something thru the hole it will stop the handle from moving thus locking it...umm..what do you put in there to block the handle....a screew? a pin?. ..I could wait to call scamp on monday but I figured this has been covered or asked at some point and I can get a quicker answer...thanks Brandy

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Am I missing something?...just ordered a new lock from scamp as mine was missing keys..and the interior side looked pretty rough ..I want to lock the scamp from the inside obviously but how do I accomplish this there is no attached latch to lock it like you would find on a screen door ...however there is a hole just below where the interior handle is that appears if you place something thru the hole it will stop the handle from moving thus locking it...umm..what do you put in there to block the handle....a screew? a pin?. ..I could wait to call scamp on monday but I figured this has been covered or asked at some point and I can get a quicker answer...thanks Brandy
No need to order anything, just take a small nail, nick off the pointy end and use that. or if you want, use a cotterpin and attach it to a small chain that you can hang off the doorlatch.
ConwayBob
Old 03-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You are right. Place a pin in the hole and it locks the door from the inside. Try a finishing nail or a larger paperclip that fits in the hole.

The original pin was attached with a chain so it would not get lost.

NOTE: You did not need a complete lock set. You can purchase the outside handle with lock at an RV parts place.

Hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) have garage door handles with locks that fit. You place the shaft thru the opening, mark it and then saw off the excess and you may have to drill a hole in the shaft to pin it in place. <$10USD.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I know I used to run Hardware and tools for Eagle Hardware that became Lowes..just to busy to go there when I could pick up the phone and have it specially delivered Lazy me
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
If you got the whole lock set from Scamp then they failed to send you the pin which is the locking mechanism.

I purchased a number of hitch pins, as they are listed at my hardware store, then cut off the top curved part which leaves a straight pin with a loop.

All my pins are cut so I drew the cutoff portion on the upper pin. The lower pin shows the final product.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4150.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp