Lockset replacement-Campster-Compact type - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm replacing the back door lock because the existing one sticks. (And also doesn't hold the door closed.) This type of trailer has a basic door lock, so I had the bright idea that if I took one of the non-deadbolt locksets off my back door (I only use the deadbolt) I could have it keyed the same as the house. The problem is that the trailer door appears to need a small shim to make the lockset fit. (I guess it is not quite as wide as the door.) So the problem is rather simple- will a shim work, and if it will, what can I use? And if not, what do I look for when I go to buy a lockset?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
So the problem is rather simple- will a shim work, and if it will, what can I use? And if not, what do I look for when I go to buy a lockset?

Bobbie
I think a shim will work OK, but I have noticed that some locksets are adjustable for door thickness. I bought my lockset at Camping World, and it fit my door without modifications. My Fiber Stream's door is similar to yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Door_Bungee.jpg  
Old 09-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO, the shim (try pieces of whatever thickness of aluminum plate you can come up with) would get you the width you need (the trailer door IS thinner than household doors), but you might also have to concern yourself with getting the set centered in the door frame to better align the hole for the locket with the new (added) one. Might take a bit of 'finicking' but could save buyin a whole new set.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
IMHO, the shim (try pieces of whatever thickness of aluminum plate you can come up with) would get you the width you need (the trailer door IS thinner than household doors), but you might also have to concern yourself with getting the set centered in the door frame to better align the hole for the locket with the new (added) one. Might take a bit of 'finicking' but could save buyin a whole new set.
So I might have to shim both sides? To keep it centered? I still have to buy a new doorknob for the house if I use this one, so it isn't that big a savings except I'm saving on rekeying or carrying around yet one more key.

Bobbie
Old 09-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #5

Registry
I went to the store and bought two locksets- a bedroom set to replace the one I took out of the backdoor (there is still a deadbolt, remember) and a new keyed entry set in case I couldn't figure out the old keyed entry set. I bought both knowing one or the other was going to go back to OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) after I figured out which one I had to use.

Then I discovered (after trying unsuccessfully to shim it) that by screwing in the door knob the length of the lockset adjusted itself (hard to explain but it worked.) I got it in, got it adjusted, and in the process unintentionally disabled the pushbutton. It turns out that is a good thing, because it still locks (if you turn the button with key or finger) but the dogs won't be able to lock me out by jumping against the door. The old backdoor latches better than it did with the professionally installed lockset before, and the trailer door latches better and turns more easily, and best, works with the same key as the house.

Jack sat slept on the bed of the trailer while I did the lock and didn't want to leave when I was finished.

Successful weekend, except (so far) for the microwave and the sneezing. (And the fact that the housework isn't done.)

Bobbie
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Housework? What's that??
Connie
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Well, I'm happy that you were able to come to a peaceful resolve with your lockset, this falls under the useful info file:
DYK (did you know) that there are only about 13 different house key combinations commonly used for locksets??
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Well, I'm happy that you were able to come to a peaceful resolve with your lockset, this falls under the useful info file:
DYK (did you know) that there are only about 13 different house key combinations commonly used for locksets??

I think I had all of them in this house before I had it rekeyed to the same key. There are 15 door locks on this house, plus two locking interior doors. (Didn't rekey those.)

On the positive side, I won a bottle of wine on a Horizon Air flight for having the most keys on my key ring!

Bobbie

Tags
campster