Looking for a 3way fridge-I think - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #1

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
Registry
Looking for a 3way fridge-I think

Hi! I only have the furnace in my 1976 Trillium. Don’t believe it works, ideally I would like to have a 3 way fridge, propane burners and a furnace that works. I would have to get the lines run as the previous owner didn’t use propane and disconnected or got rid of them. Probably people have strong opinions one way or another-but I am ready to hear them!
Here is a pic of furnace
Attached Thumbnails
DDA340F3-B84D-4B31-B5C4-BF922E483279.jpg  
RamonaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:31 PM   #2

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
The attached picture appears to be an old propane water heater.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:41 PM   #3

Quebec
Registry
Trillium furnace

Well, I hope it isn’t….
Attached Thumbnails
50A0E46F-6CC5-4B6E-B69D-1D217743AB0B.jpg  
Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #4

Name: CalCop
California
Of course I could be mistaken and most likely are
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought I needed a three-way fridge until I understood that running the fridge on 12V would burn through my battery. It was explained to me that if I was camping without shore power, that my battery would be depleted by running lights, fans and other loads. If I then drove to another campsite with my fridge on 12V that when I arrived, my battery would still be depleted because the vehicle couldn't provide enough power to run the fridge and charge my battery.

I chose 120V and propane. I have driven with the fridge on propane and I've also just shut it off for short trips.

I'd think twice about spending more on a 3-way fridge.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m with you about a working fridge, furnace, and stove. Propane remains the easiest way to get all three for camping without power.

I wouldn’t nitpick about whether your fridge has 12VDC operation or not. I do agree that it’s generally not practical to run a 3-way fridge on 12V, but just because you have it doesn’t mean you have to use it. A lot of smaller units are 3-way. With some tow vehicles, you may be able to beef up the charging line later to allow towing on 12V.

Some newer fridges have electronic controls that require continuous 12V power. That’s worth avoiding if you camp much without power. It’s not a high draw, but it’s just one more drain on your battery. Look for one with manual controls.

Whether 2-way or 3-way, the main task is to find one that fits the space. You’re probably looking at a fridge in the 1.7-2.0 cf range. The Trillium 1300 galley is shallow, so most retrofits are a tad too deep and have to be shimmed out with some trim in front. The small size you want is common in truck campers and tent trailers, so finding a used unit is possible. Bench test a used unit on 120V before installing.

A certified gas tech should do the work. Most RV shops have techs qualified to reinstall your propane systems. They can determine whether your old furnace is operable or repairable. If not, a new Suburban or Atwood should fit in that space. Cooktops are fairly inexpensive. Both can also be found used.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:37 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ramona, What you have is a Duo-Therm 65810-002 furnace. This is one of the reasons that I love Trilliums. It requires no electricity to operate and if you blow a fan towards it, it will provide more heat. I use my, "incenerator" but others have used a heat powered fan like this:
Attachment 144761
However, this would require the face plate of the furnace to be removed, or mutilated.

Ironically, Duo-Therm made a powered fan for your furnace:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...wer-54226.html

This furnace is so simple that there are very few things that could go wrong. Typically, the problem is a plugged orifice. The orifice can only be accessed by taking the furnace apart. A good thread on the subject:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ter-49659.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Orifice 1.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	144762

Name:	Orifice 2.JPG
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	144763

To replace the asbestos gaskets, use high heat gasket compound:

Name:	High Heat Gasket Maker.JPG
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	144764
https://www.princessauto.com/en/ultr...t/PA0006400004

Or, if you are unlucky, the gas valve may need to be repaired: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...a02-86546.html
Or replaced. Replacing it is not cheep, or easy. The ITT valve is no longer made, and the replacement has different port locations, so some tube bending would be required, (got a tube bender?). The replacement, a Robertshaw 710-201, can be found at Grainger:
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/G...nls=NLSAA_NA-7
$421.48 Canadian. Not cheep.

As for the fridge, look for the original fridge, an RM211. These were used in many pop-up tent trailers, as well as Trilliums and Bolers, (probably others as well). I see them on kijiji frequently, though I didn't see any on kijiji - Quebec just now. If you have an earlier Trillium, you might have an RM24. The RM211 can still be made to fit. You just have to extend the hole for the fridge to the floor.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #8

Quebec
Registry
Thank you!

Hi again! thank u so much for your clear and concise help!
Old 01-26-2022, 06:09 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaLee View Post
Hi! I only have the furnace in my 1976 Trillium. Don’t believe it works, ideally I would like to have a 3 way fridge, propane burners and a furnace that works. I would have to get the lines run as the previous owner didn’t use propane and disconnected or got rid of them. Probably people have strong opinions one way or another-but I am ready to hear them!
Here is a pic of furnace
While you are remodeling just replace the 50 year old furnace. It would be a safety issue and most likely a break down soon. Far as a fridge a 120/propane would be fine. The 12 volt is useless in most cases. We drove with ours on 12 volt by accident and had a dead trailer battery after 4 hours. We have driven with our fridge on propane for 45 years in our trailers and motorhomes. I've seen many wrecks and the propane bottles don't explode plus they shut off if a hose breaks from what I've been told.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I thought I needed a three-way fridge until I understood that running the fridge on 12V would burn through my battery. It was explained to me that if I was camping without shore power, that my battery would be depleted by running lights, fans and other loads. If I then drove to another campsite with my fridge on 12V that when I arrived, my battery would still be depleted because the vehicle couldn't provide enough power to run the fridge and charge my battery.

I chose 120V and propane. I have driven with the fridge on propane and I've also just shut it off for short trips.

I'd think twice about spending more on a 3-way fridge.
12v is only for travel between sites, tow packages can come with an upgraded alternator to handle the trailer
Old 01-30-2022, 08:49 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
12v is only for travel between sites, tow packages can come with an upgraded alternator to handle the trailer
Yup. And I had upgraded alternator and 10 gauge wiring, but that doesn't change the fact that if you've depleted your battery at camp one, it will still be depleted at camp two, because there is not enough power to run the fridge on 12V and charge the house battery.

Tags
fridge