Looking for a humane deterrent to MICE - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Looking for a humane deterrent to MICE

Hi- We don't want to kill or host them in our TT. The area where the fridge vented had screening large enough to let mice in (1/4 inch holes). We couldn't find 1/8" screening in our area so we bought aluminum decorative sheet metal from Lowe's for the same price as ordering the farm screening online. Installed it where the fridge vents. The venting is adequate for that appliance's ventilation needs and the holes are too small to let in mice. Bounce dryer sheets do a great job but I am highly allergic to the chemicals so we have to go this route. The advantage is it is permanent or until mice evolve to chew through this, which could happen with any liter so who knows.....Sorry for the sideways picture- only happens on this form and I haven't the time or patience to deal with it right now. Any tips for an easy fix to sideways pictures are appreciated- PM me as I do not subscribe to my post. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Rodent screening-Lowes for trailer.jpg  
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:47 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Could you use Fresh Cab rodent repellant, it is a natural substance.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #3

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
I've had good luck using dried (or drying) mint leaves to discourage mice. Since I have a patch of mint next to the garage, I just put cut stems with leaves in a five gallon bucket and put it in the camper when not in use.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
the wrong orientation photo effect originates in how you hold the phone when you take the photo. if holding the phone on its side lengthwise the touch button must always be facing towards your right hand.

when the phone is in vertical position the touch button must always be at the bottom edge.

Do that and the wrong rotation of uploaded photos will not happen. It is you, not the forum software. You just have to pay attention to how you hold the phone when you take photos because there is a correct way to do so.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Pretty much all the home remedies have been disproven. Google each one of them like dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap. One problem with most of these remedies is people assume if they are not having a mouse problem, it must be the remedy.

In the end, sealing all entry points and non-humane methods have worked the best for me.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
No offense but......I would want to kill any mouse or rat entering my trailer....truck or home. These critters can do some very expensive damage and can introduce some health issues. I use olf fashion mice traps with peanut butter.....works well and elimnates the problem fairly quickly.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You haven't found a good reason to be inhumane to mice until you find a tractor or other vehicle stored over the winter that has had its wiring destroyed by being chewed on. Or they decided to nest and raise a litter in an air vent of a vehicle. Nothing like blowing mouse urine smell out the defrost to put a damper on the old live and let live.

Conventional mouse traps work for me and if set on a bit of cardboard it deals with disposal too.

If one puts out "humane" catch alive traps and fails to check them the mouse will eventually die of thirst or starvation. Hardly more humane than a quick broken neck. I had a mouse get into a bucket and die from lack of water or food, felt pretty bad. I wouldn't check traps daily so... good old fashion snap traps and peanut butter.

We used to have a dog that really hunted mice, would catch them under the snow. Current pooch hunts for them and will exterminate any she happens to stumble across, nothing like a few hundred years of being bred as a farm dog to reenforce rodent prey drive but she just doesn't have the mad skills of our old dog who would get them from under the snow near the bird feeder as long as any were showing up.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #8

Washington
Yes we could use lots of things but we prefer permanent solutions .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Could you use Fresh Cab rodent repellant, it is a natural substance.
Hi - all these suggestions are good but we prefer permanent solutions so we don't have to think about these problems or go through trial and error and all that effort and expense.

.In our trillium there are few entry places and we have blocked all of them permanently. Now mice need an invitation, one that is not forthcoming.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #9

Washington
Thanks, however the same photos oriented correctly in another forum.

Hello- I used the same file downloaded from my computer's desktop on which it is correctly oriented, on another forum I am active in and the pictures oriented correctly. Why do you suppose that is? Is it the attachment format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
the wrong orientation photo effect originates in how you hold the phone when you take the photo. if holding the phone on its side lengthwise the touch button must always be facing towards your right hand.

when the phone is in vertical position the touch button must always be at the bottom edge.

Do that and the wrong rotation of uploaded photos will not happen. It is you, not the forum software. You just have to pay attention to how you hold the phone when you take photos because there is a correct way to do so.
Hello- I used the same file downloaded from my computer on another forum I am active on and the pictures oriented correctly. Why do you suppose that is? Is it the attachment format?
Old 11-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #10

Washington
We had zero rodent control with mint or fresh Cab in one of our Rvs

Hi- we used everything people suggested in RV forums for an RV we had years ago, including mint, both fresh and in oil/sxtract concentrate form. We had to have it professionally sealed by experts because even our efforts to permanently seal were not good enough. They sealed every nook and cranny and that did the job. Wasn't cheap but worked. Now I am all about permanent sealing- no more concerns. So worth the effort and peace of mind to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth EWA View Post
I've had good luck using dried (or drying) mint leaves to discourage mice. Since I have a patch of mint next to the garage, I just put cut stems with leaves in a five gallon bucket and put it in the camper when not in use.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:38 PM   #11

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

I've demonstrated that I can hold my iPhone13 in all four orientations, upload to the forum and they all come out right-side up.

So it's not necessarily the forum user.

Also, I've been posting on forums since about 1993 and this is the ONLY forum that does this, so........
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #12

Washington
Hi- I should have thought out my title better and by the time I did, I couldn't edit the post. My idea was to tell others what we used to seal up the Trillium as a humane way to do so. There is no opinion about what people have to do to protect their machines, trailers or anything for that matter. We've trapped in the past and I just got sick and tired of the entire stress of it all and so now seal everything up. If it can't be sealed from mice I won't have it- too much hassle from the damage and danger from mouse poop.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #13

Washington
This is the only forum my photos end up oriented sideways instead of correctly.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:16 PM   #14

Washington
Incorrect Title on My Post and Couldn't Edit it.

Sorry Folks- I should have thought that one through before posting. By the time I did, I couldn't edit the post. My idea was to tell others what we used to seal up the Trillium if they were looking at a permanent and humane way to do so.

There is no opinion on my part about what people have to do to protect their machines, trailers or anything for that matter. We've trapped in the past and I just got sick and tired of the entire stress of it all and so now seal everything up. If it can't be sealed from mice I won't have it- too much hassle from the damage and danger from mouse poop. Permanent is what I am after and achieving with this newest TT. Thanks for all your responses and good suggestions and no offense taken either or meant.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Expanded metal is sold by percentage of coverage.
It works really well for vents like the fridge door
for pests as big as a mouse

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangie View Post
Hello- I used the same file downloaded from my computer's desktop on which it is correctly oriented, on another forum I am active in and the pictures oriented correctly. Why do you suppose that is? Is it the attachment format?
Apple or Android phone?

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #17

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Our Escape is tighter than a drum. Mice also have trouble crawling up the sides of waxed fiberglass.

We also have an old storage trailer at our seasonal campsite with leaky doors and seams that the mice get into. Two years ago I forgot to prepare for the mice and opened the door in the spring and could smell the mice. Poop and urine everywhere! I’m sorry but humane in this situation just means ruined items and lots of spring cleaning.

We put mouse smelly bags (don’t know the exact description), purchased at Menards, at the two doors, four sticky traps, two slap them in a container so they starve and die traps, and six standard traps in the storage trailer. I go in once a week Nov-Jan to check and have already caught two this fall. We usually get 6-8 every winter.

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

[snip] We put mouse smelly bags (don’t know the exact description), purchased at Menards, at the two doors, four sticky traps, two slap them in a container so they starve and die traps, and six standard traps in the storage trailer. I go in once a week Nov-Jan to check and have already caught two this fall. We usually get 6-8 every winter.

Perry
I discovered a solid favorite *mice eliminator* that has worked without fail for several years. I learned it from old car collectors who tired of having their cars destroyed in storage.

Mix plaster of paris (dry) with equal amount of oatmeal (dry) -- add a few raisins if you like. Make the mixture available to your little friends, but protected from weather. In the basement I put some water beside their 'feast', which is said to speed the process along. I have never found a dead (or live) mouse inside afterward, but look for and confirm feeding activity ;-)
Old 11-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #19

Name: Frank
Trailer: Hunter 1 1974
Colorado
Protective Screen

Make a metal frame and place regular window screen over your current vent and use magnets to hold it while in garage or storage. This makes it easy to remove when you are on travel and will prevent rodents from entering through vent.
sandunes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Perhaps more to the liking of those who are a bit squeamish -- for our stored vehicle -- in a spray bottle with water - add a spoon of dish soap. Then spray areas of concern (wires, holes etc) -- then, sprinkle a coating of Cayenne Pepper (dollar store). the soap is adhesive enough to hold the pepper in place when it dries. They HATE pepper and stay away!