Looking for advice on sagging roof - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Can you seal the trailer well, and pressurize it?

I have a sag in the Trillium I am rebuilding, and am putting some supports in from the galley to the roof to hold it up. I am also extending this support inside the cabinets down to the frame. At the top of the supports will be a T-brace that holds under the glass of the roof. Seeing your roof line is different, you would likely have to do something to follow the curve, but a thin metal brace might give it the support you need.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #22

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
I must admit I have not solved this issue yet. It has gotten a little too cold to work on Fiberglass in an unheated garage. I did try to get some carbon fiber in London, but it was a bust. Toronto is a 2 hr drive and I have not had time to go. I was thinking about trying to pick up some old/broken Carbon Fibre hockey sticks and cutting them into spars. Not sure if that will pan out. otherwise I might just try and go with heat and a new layer of glass.
As for the pressurizing idea - all of the windows are out of the body as is the roof vent, so not much of a chance there!
And yes I really am 6'4" so while I am tempted to raise the roof line or put supports outside, I am unwilling to change the shape of the Boler, So I will just have to stoop and go outside when I want to stand up.
I will have more time come February so stay tuned if you are interested- I will post my solution.

I have been busy buying new LED lighting for the interior and exterior. Hoping to have everything switched over before summer.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
If you go to a thread called "Anyone Know How To Repair a saggy roof in a boler", and down to post #22, we put pictures of our repair and after 3 rears, it's still working just fine.

Here is the Link to the Thread "Anyone know how to fix a saggy roof in a Boler???" apparently a number of people do
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #24

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here is the Link to the Thread "Anyone know how to fix a saggy roof in a Boler???" apparently a number of people do
Thanks for the link! I actually read that whole thread through just after I posted my original question. There are lots of great ideas that clearly work- just what I like about this forum - but I have yet to settle on a solution that I want to try.
Since I am planning a major reno on the little trailer I have lots of projects happening with it right now. As I said in an earlier post, I have been replacing all of the interior and exterior lights with LEDs and I have plans to rewire the whole thing too. I also have a new axle with brakes sitting right beside the trailer that needs to be swapped and what the heck I figured I would pull the shell right off of the frame so that I could check out how it is holding up.
I also have new headliner/ratfur ready to replace the old stuff and I bought new windows to replace the cracked ones. I also have the fridge out because the electric and 12volt don't seem to be working on it - apparently there is a fuse in the fridge somewhere - I need to put that on the workbench this month.
So, I have been working on it but the fiberglass related work ended when the epoxy started to stay tacky for 5-6 hours... Now I'm trying to figure out how to heat my garage on a budget but that is another post, I'm sure!
Keep the ideas coming though, I need them.
Jay
Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Even with all the ice and the snow we had last winter here in southern Ontario, our little aluminum square rods curved to fit the roof did the trick for us, even with the weight of the fantastic fan. I was going to paint them but against the colour of our liner inside, didn't think they showed up much so I left them. If you were doing interior renovations, you could install them under the lining. People coming to EggFestOntario wanted to see how we fixed our sag problem, so I am glad we didn't cover them up.
PS: Thanks Carol for putting the link to the other thread up. I didn't know how to do that.
Attached Thumbnails
braces attached to the bump.jpg  
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
With regard to your fridge, I don't think there is a fuse, but there is a ceramic heater using 2'different thicknesses of nichrome wire. It gets brittle with age and the wires go open. The only cure is replace the heating element if you can find one or rewind the heater element with new nichrome. The 12V winding is easy, the 120V not so easy.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
T I also have the fridge out because the electric and 12volt don't seem to be working on it - apparently there is a fuse in the fridge somewhere - I need to put that on the workbench this month.

Jay
Is it possible the fuse is inside your converter? I know there is one for the fridge inside of my old converter. Need to remove the cover from the converter to see the fuse panel.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #28

Ontario
Registry
[QUOTE=dleverton;501796]With regard to your fridge, I don't think there is a fuse, but there is a ceramic heater using 2'different thicknesses of nichrome wire. It gets brittle with age and the wires go open. The only cure is replace the heating element if you can find one or rewind the heater element with new nichrome. The 12V winding is easy, the 120V not so easy.

I figured out the electrical on the fridge on the weekend. Honestly, it was way simpler than I thought. I did find the little ceramic/plastic "fuse". It was in good shape. A friend at work who has a Serro Scotty gave me some advice and I am embarrassed to say that I just didn't understand the simplicity of the fridge. I expected a hum or some sort of noise when I plugged it in but it is virtually silent. The fridge works great, I just had to plug it in overnight to see how well. So, glad to have a simple one figured out!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #29

Ontario
Registry
For those of you still reading this post and wondering about the sagging/ warped roof around the roof vent, there isn't much news. I did pick up a composite hokey stick at "Value Village" that I plan to cut up into a spar to support the roof from the inside. I intend to glass it right to the ceiling before I put the headliner carpet back on. Unfortunately I have to wait a month or two for the weather to warm up. It is too cold in the garage right now and I don't have an effective shop heater. That's alright though I have lots of other items on the "Honey-Do" list anyway...
When I start the project, I am sure I will have more posts and questions.
Jay
Old 06-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #30

Ontario
Registry
Its June now and I think I fixed my sagging roof for good. If you are interested in the solution I have a thread on my renovation "Boler Voyageur 1300 reno". Check it out if you want to. I will have some pics and description posted soon.